Returning to the UK soon? Good luck organizing the mandatory quarantine Covid tests

trevoromgh

1 hour ago, polpott said:
2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Anything wrong with that? That is why I retired to Thailand, all the expats I met then were full of praise for the country, a nice and easy way of living. I don't know anyone who thinks that now.

Me. 100%

Wasn't there a poll recently asking how the changes have affected us? There's still no tangible evidence of hordes of disillusioned farangs throwing their Thai towel in yet. However, there's a fair few who probably want to but make excuses for why they don't.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Wasn't there a poll recently asking how the changes have affected us? There's still no tangible evidence of hordes of disillusioned farangs throwing their Thai towel in yet. However, there's a fair few who probably want to but make excuses for why they don't.

I don't think there can be any official evidence, but reading here on Thaivisa, I was getting the impression that many expats were leaving the country before this Chinese virus even started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, when I see all those comments I wonder why they stay here if they have such a low opinion of the country and its people.

Indeed, Tuvok, but they do not share your Vulcan intelligence!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, when I see all those comments I wonder why they stay here if they have such a low opinion of the country and its people.

Good Pont. Most of the critics are not here I suspect.  Some, I reckon have never even been here! Some have been here on holiday and it was not perfect  enough for them. Others live here having made bad decisions such as unrealistic marriages. Some have little or no travel experience so judge here on their minimally informed world view frequently informed by vaguely nationalist undertones. There is a famous aphorism but most people only know the first part. 'Travel broadens the mind...(of the intelligent but narrows the mind of the unintelligent')

There can be no reason to be here or any foreign country if you don't like it unless you are making money like expats in the ME.

There is one more group: The permanently aggrieved who claim there entitlement to be unhappy wherever they go of which a substantial  subset are clinically depressed.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Confused 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Is or was Thailand a designated red country?

Thailand was not on the UK's "green" list when that colour was the preferred indicator of being okidoki last summer. This year, it looks like the "red" list is most mentioned so I can only assume that its brevity and the length of the list that dictates how they inform us. Last years green list was shorter than the red one. Right now the converse applies.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Last week thousands of Pakistanis returned from Pakistan in a hurry before it got classified as a red.

Thousands? Must be watching those YouTubes again no? Anyway, chances are they are UK citizens and residents of Pakistani origin that went to visit families or take a break just like their fellow British citizens of a more Caucasian persuasion did.

It looks from this article like UK Covid PCR Test providers are finally bending to pressure put on them by the government and the travel industry and are starting to reduce the prices of their services accordingly.  If Thailand manages to obtain a Green status from the UK (despite the latest surge) then returning expats should see a decent reduction in the costs and quarantine time.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:57 PM, polpott said:

I don't intend to return for at least 3 month, by which time I'm sure the situation will have changed.

Unfortunately , there is a chance that any changes made might not be for the better.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, polpott said:

For myself, I have no choice but to visit the UK for at least 3 months but know from past experience that I will be desperate to return after 2 weeks.

If I look back over the years to every UK visit I have ever made , I can't recall a single trip where I have not changed my return flight to Thailand for an earlier date.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Denim said:

If I look back over the years to every UK visit I have ever made , I can't recall a single trip where I have not changed my return flight to Thailand for an earlier date.

Then why bother going? My reason for wanting to return to Thailand is because I miss Thailand, its people, my friends, my family. Nothing to do with not liking the UK. It was the same when I lived in the UK, after a couple of weeks away, I couldn't wait to get back for the same reasons. I now regard the UK as a holiday destination and Thailand my home, ergo after a couple of weeks I want to come home.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Then why bother going? My reason for wanting to return to Thailand is because I miss Thailand, its people, my friends, my family. Nothing to do with not liking the UK. It was the same when I lived in the UK, after a couple of weeks away, I couldn't wait to get back for the same reasons. I now regard the UK as a holiday destination and Thailand my home, ergo after a couple of weeks I want to come home.

My reason is the same as yours then. Nothing to do with not liking England, especially since my relatives moved and now live near the seaside.

But my wife and house are here and although we had nice holidays there we found that after three weeks we were always homesick.

As for reasons to go. Elderly mother and a few financial affairs plus wife always enjoys the holiday there provided it is not overly long.

As for the other point on whether things will improve or not within the next three months , just now it is not easy to predict. Thailands covid situation seems to be getting worse and it remains to be seen what effect the Songkran holidays will have on the statistics.

As for covid itself we have seen several variants and the longer things drag on then the increased likelyhood of more variants.

One year ago I never would have thought we would be where we are today.....but here we are with still no definite end in sight.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

If you plan to come back why would  you leave?

Because Thailand has been my home for nearly 20 years  but I really want to see my 91 year old father for obvious reasons, then I have two sons and 3 grandchildren  that I have not seen in 2 years.

That's why, but this is home why would I want to stay in the UK? It's no longer my home.

I also have a son and grandson in LOS 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. Try getting out of the UK. You can't. It's illegal currently. Try getting anything  done under UK draconian lock down rules ditto Australia  ditto New  Zealand and Germany  France etc...Thailand  is the easiest  place to get anything done. If you have problems here God help you elsewhere. Nobody who has experienced  real travel would find Thailand  remotely difficult.

Totally agree. Just flown back out but needed certain things done while here in Thailand. My TM30, renewed driving license, renewed wife and sons Thai passports, 30 day extension to my tourist visa, all done fast and efficient. Wish the UK was as good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1st May 

Well still no 'Traffic Lights List' showing which colour the UK Government think reflect a countries Covid-19 Risk Level.  Still hope Thailand will be green but judging by recent events this seems like wishful thinking.  Latest rumours say a list may be published around 6th May.  

Can anyone who has returned to the UK recently or is planning to do so imminently please advise me what questions are asked when you complete the Passenger Locator Form PLF online about the Day 2 & Day 8 PCR tests you are supposed to have booked and paid for before you return?   

What info do they expect you to provide exactly.  I only ask because the UK Govt have not given any example screens so that we can see what the questions are in advance (brilliant!) and you cannot complete the form until just 48 hours before your flight leaves (why not!).

The cheapest and most convenient way of doing the tests is by using at-home kits and Boots is now offering them at 65 GBPs each and they use Government Approved Labs to do them and express postage to return them.  I won't book them yet though until I know what info needs to go on the PLF.

More updates to follow as soon as I get more information

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

What info do they expect you to provide exactly.  I only ask because the UK Govt have not given any example screens so that we can see what the questions are in advance (brilliant!) and you cannot complete the form until just 48 hours before your flight leaves (why not!).

You can go through the process and see what's needed by kidding on you're flying within 48 hours then subsequently "changing your mind".

One thing that isn't clear that you should be aware of is that some people have been asked at check in for proof of payment for the Day 2 & 8 tests, even though a reference number has been provided.  Print out the receipt or something just in case.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

You can go through the process and see what's needed by kidding on you're flying within 48 hours then subsequently "changing your mind".

One thing that isn't clear that you should be aware of is that some people have been asked at check in for proof of payment for the Day 2 & 8 tests, even though a reference number has been provided.  Print out the receipt or something just in case.

Thanks for the tip about printing out a receipt. I was concerned that doing a dummy run might lockout my main email address if there wasn't a cancel or forget everything button at the end that's all.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:37 AM, trevoromgh said:

The cheapest and most convenient way of doing the tests is by using at-home kits and Boots is now offering them at 65 GBPs each and they use Government Approved Labs to do them and express postage to return them.

Sorry folks but I have to report that the cheaper tests from Boots I reported in a previous post are no good for returning expats to use during the quarantine at home period on Day 2 and Day 8.  I got this reply from the Boots Support Centre today when I queried whether buying two Boots PCR Home Tests could be used instead of advertised Day 2 & Day 8 Test kits and it stated "Unfortunately, this service cannot be used for your mandatory tests that are required on day 2 and 8 after arrival into the UK." which means we have to use the more expensive options provided by companies on the supplier list provided on the UK Gov website.  Darn shame ????

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, trevoromgh said:

Thanks for the tip about printing out a receipt. I was concerned that doing a dummy run might lockout my main email address if there wasn't a cancel or forget everything button at the end that's all.

No you can start filling in the form anytime. You get an email confirmation and can click the link to return to it when you need to complete it.

10 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Sorry folks but I have to report that the cheaper tests from Boots I reported in a previous post are no good for returning expats to use during the quarantine at home period on Day 2 and Day 8.  I got this reply from the Boots Support Centre today when I queried whether buying two Boots PCR Home Tests could be used instead of advertised Day 2 & Day 8 Test kits and it stated "Unfortunately, this service cannot be used for your mandatory tests that are required on day 2 and 8 after arrival into the UK." which means we have to use the more expensive options provided by companies on the supplier list provided on the UK Gov website.  Darn shame ????

So there are many others PCR tests available in UK by post at a cheaper price £40-£60. But we are forced to use these crazy inflated ones selected by Government? Shame on them all 

12 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

So there are many others PCR tests available in UK by post at a cheaper price £40-£60. But we are forced to use these crazy inflated ones selected by Government? Shame on them all 

Day 2 and 8 tests can now be had for under £100 total but do you really want to opt for the cheapest provider?

10 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Why not if it does the same as more expensive?

Reliability of service.  There are reports of them being overwhelmed and results not being returned on time, which means your self isolation may extend more than the expected 10 days while you wait.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Day 2 and 8 tests can now be had for under £100 total but do you really want to opt for the cheapest provider?

I must look again, I didn't see anything under about £160.