More COVID cases in Surat Thani?

Has anyone heard anything about COVID cases in both Surat Thani and Koh Phangan today?

I was told by some Thais this evening that there were three cases in Surat Thani and one in KPG (all Thai).

They also said they were waiting to find out tomorrow if there would be another closure of bars and restaurants. Not sure if they meant lockdown.

Anyone else heard anything? Or read anything on local Thai social media?

TIA

Edited by phetphet

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Has anyone heard anything about COVID cases in both Surat Thani and Koh Phangan today?

Yes in today's Thai news...

Today's Surat. There are 4 people.

Mueang district area 2 Phunpin 1 Ko Pha Ngan 1

(At the hospital. Ko Pha Ngan Ying, age 25, TTT. From Bangkok to travel in Koh Tao)

สุราษฏร์ วันนี้ จำนวน 4 ราย
พื้นที่อำเภอเมือง2 พุนพิน1 เกาะพะงัน1
(ที่ รพ.เกาะพะงัน หญิง อายุ25 นทท.มาจากกรุงเทพ เที่ยวเกาะเต่า)

There is also an announcement from Koh Phangan Hospital that I don't know what says...

Kan være et billede af tekst

• Like 1

I understand people must be getting a little stir crazy, but letting the whole population start freely moving around the country before the vaccination program has hardly got underway. What could possibly go wrong?

I wonder how many of those that were vaccinated earlier this week understand they won't have any immunity for  a while yet. 

Ah well! Back to square one I suppose.

I have also been told that bars and restaurants have to close at midnight tonight. Don't know if it's an enforcement of previous midnight closure or start of a lockdown.

EDIT. Just seen posted in another thread. All bars and entertainment venues closed for two weeks from midnight tonight.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

I have been  told that COVID might have been found in the Full Moon Massage shop in Bangrak. There are two shops, but this particular one is the one opposite the Seatran pier.

The staff have been tested and must wait for the results, and the shop looks like it has been cleaned from the attached  photo that someone sent me.

It is in Thai so maybe someone can translate.

IMG_7976.jpg

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, phetphet said:

I understand people must be getting a little stir crazy, but letting the whole population start freely moving around the country before the vaccination program has hardly got underway. What could possibly go wrong?

I wonder how many of those that were vaccinated earlier this week understand they won't have any immunity for  a while yet. 

Ah well! Back to square one I suppose.

problem  with all vaccines is if for example  i am 100% vaccinated and i come into contact with covid i can still have it on me or on my clothes or on my body somewhere 

if i sit or touch  someone next to me who hasn't been vaccinated  then they can catch from a vaccinated persons

so a vaccinated  person can move the virus around plus now in thailand they have astra and sinovac

astra they have stopped giving out in UK due to further  testing  for blood clots and Sinovac was used in Brazil  and only 50.7 % effective for immunity 

for this reason i chose to wait for a better vaccine 

i like johnston and Johnson one because  it is one jab plus Donald Trump ober sore that and  do not take this a racism but I trust  nothing  from China after this. 

They are accepting no responsibility 

Plus UK will not address illegal  migrants  bringing  it into Uk then helping it spread a cross  country world for fear of being labeled  racist 

it is not the only  way the virus  travels but it is a way

find it disgusting  how the UK parliament  talk about everything covid repeated but won't  talk about illegal  migrants 

anyway that i why i left EU and UK

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, BigC said:

problem  with all vaccines is if for example  i am 100% vaccinated and i come into contact with covid i can still have it on me or on my clothes or on my body somewhere 

if i sit or touch  someone next to me who hasn't been vaccinated  then they can catch from a vaccinated persons

so a vaccinated  person can move the virus around plus now in thailand they have astra and sinovac

astra they have stopped giving out in UK due to further  testing  for blood clots and Sinovac was used in Brazil  and only 50.7 % effective for immunity 

i like johnston and Johnson one because  it is one jab plus Donald Trump ober sore that and  do not take this a racism but I trust  nothing  from China after this. 

They are accepting no responsibility 

Plus UK will not address illegal  migrants  bringing  it into Uk then helping it spread a cross  country world for fear of being labeled  racist 

it is not the only  way the virus  travels but it is a way

find it disgusting  how the UK parliament  talk about everything covid repeated but won't  talk about illegal  migrants 

anyway that i why i left EU and UK

You are right of course. But if everyone around you is vaccinated, it won't matter if you pass it on as they should be protected.

Luckily for us, Samui being an island and easier to isolate, the COVID outbreak  pretty much passed us by this past year. Under 15 cases since the original outbreak. But now they open everything up for Songkran and this is allowing carriers to spread the  virus all around the country.

As soon as the government schools closed  and the Thais started to travel for their holidays, the spread began. And we aren't even at Songkran yet.

Give it another two weeks and I think it will be worse.

2 hours ago, BigC said:

...astra they have stopped giving out in UK due to further  testing  for blood clots and Sinovac was used in Brazil  and only 50.7 % effective for immunity 

i like johnston and Johnson one because  it is one jab...

AstraZeneca is now mainly not used for people under the age of 65, as it's within the younger population the side effect with blood clots appears, while it's considered safe for the elder population.

However Johnson & Johnson's Jansen-vaccine is made by same method as AstraZeneca and out of only five million vaccinations already four serious cases of blood clots have been detected, so also that vaccine has in Europe become suspected for causing the same problems as AstraZeneca, even they hardly began to use the Jansen-vaccine.

In total three of the Covid-19-vaccines are made from similar viral-vector method, they are AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson Jansen, and (Russian) Sputnik V; whilst Moderna and Pfizer vaccines both are mRNA vaccines. Chinese Sinovac, which so far have been used in Thailand, is an inactivated virus vaccine.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

AstraZeneca is now mainly not used for people under the age of 65, as it's within the younger population the side effect with blood clots appears, while it's considered safe for the elder population.

However Johnson & Johnson's Jansen-vaccine is made by same method as AstraZeneca and out of only five million vaccinations already four serious cases of blood clots have been detected, so also that vaccine has in Europe become suspected for causing the same problems as AstraZeneca, even they hardly began to use the Jansen-vaccine.

In total three of the Covid-19-vaccines are made from similar viral-vector method, they are AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson Jansen, and (Russian) Sputnik V; whilst Moderna and Pfizer vaccines both are mRNA vaccines. Chinese Sinovac, which so far have been used in Thailand, is an inactivated virus vaccine.

I'll  sit back and watch  for a while not in a hurry..lived with covid for over a year

if i am going to get a life vaccine i shall take a seat at the back and see what is what 

i would prefer  to buy than take the free vaccine so i have 100% say in what i am injected with. specially  when my decision  doesn't  just effect me but e everyone around me.

i just hope i do not catch before i decide lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

I have been  told that COVID might have been found in the Full Moon Massage shop in Bangrak. There are two shops, but this particular one is the one opposite the Seatran pier.

The staff have been tested and must wait for the results, and the shop looks like it has been cleaned from the attached  photo that someone sent me.

It is in Thai so maybe someone can translate.

IMG_7976.jpg

"Supposedly 5 confirmed Covid cases on Koh Samui. It seems all staff from hotels or restaurants", another thread says.

4 hours ago, alw22 said:

Where'd you find that table for Surat Thani?  Is it updated daily?  I can't find anything similar on Google..

You might need to search in Thai language, but you can instead use Google image search; i.e. right click on the image and select "Search Google for image".

There is one result, and that is a Facebook page from PRSurat-สำนักงานประชาสัมพันธ์จังหวัดสุราษฎร์ธานี, af mobile HERE, and for computer HERE.

Edited by khunPer

On 4/11/2021 at 6:01 AM, khunPer said:

I could be wrong, but this is how I read the AZ advice in the UK. 

The chances of getting a blood clot from the AZ vaccine are miniscule. They weighed up the risk of getting serious effects from Covid versus the risk of blood clots from the vaccine, across the different age groups. 

At age 30 and below the risk of serious Covid symptoms are so low that the risk of blood clots from the vaccine are proportionally more material. 

So in other words the blood clot risk is the same for all age groups, but they feel younger people shouldn't take that (tiny) risk because they are highly unlikely to die from Covid anyway. They are offering under 30s an alternative vaccine for this reason. I think! 

From Samui Info by Nicha April 2th evening...

4 new COVID19 cases in Koh Samui on 12nd April: British, Chinese, Korean & Thai ,SUMMARY ⬇️:
????????1. British (35yrs), resident on Koh Samui went to party at Cafe del Mar in Phuket
????????2. Chinese (33yrs) a friend of the first infected British man, visited Cafe del Mar in Phuket
????????3. Korean (45yrs) coming from Bangkok, went to test Bangkok and come to Koh Samui (before knowing the test result)
????????4. Thai Tourist police officer (50yrs) in Koh Samui, was infected by a tourist police friend who visited Koh Samui and was examined at the Don Sak district hospital (test result: Positive)

Kan være et billede af tekst, der siger "COVID-19 SITUATION SURATTHANI (NEW WAVE APRIL 2021) 12th April 2021 12.00 p.m. 288 +61 Patient Under Investigation Exclude 264 New Case ADMIT 29 RECOVERED Confirmed Case Total 29 Pending Lab Mueang 13 0 Punpin 1 Koh Phan-ngan Kanchanadit 2 Confirmed Case Don Sak Koh Samui 6 Bannasan 1 Phrasaeng 1 SURATTHANI PROVINCIAL HEALTH OFFICE"
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I could be wrong, but this is how I read the AZ advice in the UK. 

The chances of getting a blood clot from the AZ vaccine are miniscule. They weighed up the risk of getting serious effects from Covid versus the risk of blood clots from the vaccine, across the different age groups. 

At age 30 and below the risk of serious Covid symptoms are so low that the risk of blood clots from the vaccine are proportionally more material. 

So in other words the blood clot risk is the same for all age groups, but they feel younger people shouldn't take that (tiny) risk because they are highly unlikely to die from Covid anyway. They are offering under 30s an alternative vaccine for this reason. I think! 

The facts is that a number of European countries, and Australia, stop using AstraZeneca to people under the age of 65 to to risk of blood clots, and those over 65 can chose another vaccine (polls so far show that more than 50 percent would do that). The news today said that Australia has postponed completing mass immunity till 2022, due to they cannot use AstraZeneca.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

The facts is that a number of European countries, and Australia, stop using AstraZeneca to people under the age of 65 to to risk of blood clots, and those over 65 can chose another vaccine (polls so far show that more than 50 percent would do that). The news today said that Australia has postponed completing mass immunity till 2022, due to they cannot use AstraZeneca.

It's possibly not a wise decision by Australia when you consider the evidence (see below), but there's no point in us debating that. All medication has side effects, and the EMA concluded the blood clots were a rare side effect. This article also explains what I said in a much better way ????

Among more than 20 million people who have been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK so far, 79 cases of rare blood clots with low platelets have been reported, as well as 19 deaths, said the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. This equates to around one case per 250 000 people vaccinated—0.0004%—and one death in a million.

About 100 000 people usually develop blood clots every month in the EU, and 3000 cases a month are thought to occur in the UK.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n931

21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Interesting numbers.

I went to Bangkok Samui Hospital this morning and the doctor told me that there are 7 known cases on Samui.

Full Moon massage (Bangrak) is open again

Is  Bangkok Samui Hospital doing Covid vaccinations now?

3 hours ago, sticky said:

Is  Bangkok Samui Hospital doing Covid vaccinations now?

The government's free Chinese Sinovac when they do mass vaccinations.

Edited by khunPer

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

There were 4 places on Samui. One of them was Bangkok Hospital. You could get one, if you are working in a tourist related business. Farangs too. The tour company had to register you first. All that until 59yrs. Over that you have to wait for AstraZeneca. Maybe in June     

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Edited 7 hours ago by khunPer

When I was at Bangkok Samui hospital yesterday, I was told that foreigners would only have the AZ vaccine.

If you're working frontline in tourist related business, they should vaccinate you now.

• Like 1