Anyone been to/lived in Nakhon Si Thammarat?

Mr5555

I would not move to NST.   From what I saw of facilities after driving around  several times, there is not much in comparison of places like even insignificant Chiang Rai. Hat Yai region was a bustling metropolis in comparison.

I tried to have extended holiday 2X over a period of 5 years, and after each time of making heroic effort,  departed saying never again. Lousy quality hotels, with poor standard of hospitality.

The province has a well deserved reputation for corruption and the baggage that attaches. IMO because the province was one that benefited from the era of Suthep, the population has an attitude that reflects the old era and I find that the people are not as friendly or as hospitable as is seen in other regions. The violence is driven more by local crime than the southern insurgency.  I did not see much western type nightlife to speak of and the typical plastic chair dirty beer bar joint did not appeal to me.

NST is a wasted opportunity. The beaches in the Khanom area are beautiful and offer so much  potential. Unfortunately, the amount of garbage is disgusting. I watched locals fly tip right next to the beach. Broken glass, plastic bottles, fishing equipment and general debris foul high quality sand beach. As they say in business articles, poor value proposition.  

5 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I would not move to NST.   From what I saw of facilities after driving around  several times, there is not much in comparison of places like even insignificant Chiang Rai. Hat Yai region was a bustling metropolis in comparison.

I tried to have extended holiday 2X over a period of 5 years, and after each time of making heroic effort,  departed saying never again. Lousy quality hotels, with poor standard of hospitality.

The province has a well deserved reputation for corruption and the baggage that attaches. IMO because the province was one that benefited from the era of Suthep, the population has an attitude that reflects the old era and I find that the people are not as friendly or as hospitable as is seen in other regions. The violence is driven more by local crime than the southern insurgency.  I did not see much western type nightlife to speak of and the typical plastic chair dirty beer bar joint did not appeal to me.

NST is a wasted opportunity. The beaches in the Khanom area are beautiful and offer so much  potential. Unfortunately, the amount of garbage is disgusting. I watched locals fly tip right next to the beach. Broken glass, plastic bottles, fishing equipment and general debris foul high quality sand beach. As they say in business articles, poor value proposition.  

This is a shame to read. Especially less friendly locals. There seems to be some stunning nature that would make nice weekend trips though, would you agree? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I have always wondered this myself as it sounds like it should be nice. I did read somewhere that it had highest amount of gun crime anywhere in Thailand. That was in 2015. 

Us Americans would fit right in then.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, dddave said:

It is one of the southern provinces with fairly frequent Muslim/Thai violence.  That said, I have never seen any reports of Westerners or tourists being targeted.

What? OK the NST Thais are a bit hot headed (I was married to one for 14 years) but I have no idea where you get your info. Not from personal experience I suggest. The area is very friendly and welcoming although few there will speak English. There is NO Muslim violence but some great southern food. I would often get up before sunrise and ride my bicycle to the foothills of Khao Luang National park and the locals would greet me and offer coffee during my ride. Never had to pay. Lovely people.  This was 2001 to 2014. Was there several times since and nothing changed for the worse.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr5555 said:

Anyone any idea about the nightlife and expat community? 

Zero expat community apart from a few brain dead teachers (IMO) but they may say same about me ???? Some great Thai style nightlife but nothing like HH, BKK, Phuket, Samui or Patts. I like the Thai nightlife there. Good local music and great food plus friendly locals. Never dated there (due to being married) but many are well educated and it's quite prosperous due to farming and fishing and a little bit of domestic tourism. 

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Anywhere south of Hua Hin is staunchly Democrat. Nakhon Si Thammarat included (my ex father-in-law was a party member). The beaches are not great due to run off from the mountains. Sichon and Khanom are best beaches though and quiet and pleasant.

I would actually like to live there. Somewhere near LanSaka in the foothills of the mountains where it is cooler and greener. In 2000 there was 1 flight per day and 2 on Fridays and Sundays. Today there are about 22 flights per day to/from Bangkok with 4 different airlines and costs similar to the bus. 

5 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I have always wondered this myself as it sounds like it should be nice. I did read somewhere that it had highest amount of gun crime anywhere in Thailand. That was in 2015. 

Yes there are a lot of gun holders. Don't <deleted> them off and you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

What? OK the NST Thais are a bit hot headed (I was married to one for 14 years) but I have no idea where you get your info. Not from personal experience I suggest. The area is very friendly and welcoming although few there will speak English. There is NO Muslim violence but some great southern food. I would often get up before sunrise and ride my bicycle to the foothills of Khao Luang National park and the locals would greet me and offer coffee during my ride. Never had to pay. Lovely people.  This was 2001 to 2014. Was there several times since and nothing changed for the worse.

Is it true, in your opinion, that the Thai women there are less interested in farang? 

7 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

Is it true, in your opinion, that the Thai women there are less interested in farang? 

The ladies you find in Nakhon Si Thammarat will be regular Thai ladies. They don't speak much English so that could be a barrier. No bar girls there. I wouldn't say that their interest in farang men would be any different than anywhere else (excluding tourism hotspots).

• Like 1

Well, in the already mentioned Thai style lounges, one can find willing Ladies. But.. you have to speak Thai, even better to learn some "Southern Thai language" expressions. Massage parlours as well hotels with ladies available. Have fun... Of course don't know the actual situation because of COVID-19. 

Edited by PeachCH

Thanks for the responses. I had a little virtual drive on Google Streetview and the beach road to Khanom looks really chill. If I rent a simple rural house 15 minutes from the city and buy a 400cc bike, I think I could lead a pretty idyllic life there with the odd trip to Krabi. 

22 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

I also saw some jobs down there. Thinking of applying or just getting my boots on the ground. Are there zero bars for westerners and zero bar girls? That's not my sole interest but wouldn't mind every now and again. 

I guess the nearest spot is Krabi? 

22 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

No Western style bars. Ladies mostly can't speak English, Thai language essential! Thai lounges and cafes a lot of fun, especially most of the time you will be the only Falang. Next for Western bars, Krabi or Ko Samui.