Thailand says Bangkok COVID-19 outbreak may take months to contain

webfact

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thailand to me seems to be dragging it's feet over getting everybody vaccinated, whats the problem?

They don't want to spend money on the people.

C, mon lets be serious.

The Chinese made vaccine is about $15 here.

A bargain the powers that be say. 

Currently sells to other Asian countries around the $5+ mark.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Be buggered, keep the vaccine in Oz for those over 50.

Well they've ordered 54 million doses so there should still be some left over to give away to needy friends.What's that saying?Only fools rush in?Or is it only rushins are fools?Can't remember!

3 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

On top of that, people who attend hospitals with symptoms are often treat as if a flu or pneumonia, and sent home.... some months ago Cha Cha said numbers won't increase, and the number of pneumonia case went up..

If they meet the requirements for testing they test them, if positive for covid they are admitted, no one is sent home if tested and found positive.  Yes they have not been testing I tried three times this last year but was told I did not meet the qualifications.  Go figure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A tad embarrassing?

Ministers self-isolating won't make any difference to anything as they are completely useless at  anytime. Ideally they should be permanently isolated and replaced with people who have at least some idea of what's what. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

I believe they can no longer hide the fact they haven't been testing, now the numbers have grown too high for them to hide it. Covid is well known in many provinces to have been in high numbers for a long time.

To be truthful they haven't hidden their desire not to test saying right from the beginning they weren't interested in mass testing as it cost to much among other reasons and said they will be doing targeting testing which it turned out they targeted foreigners.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Well they've ordered 54 million doses so there should still be some left over to give away to needy friends.What's that saying?Only fools rush in?Or is it only rushins are fools?Can't remember!

Australia is also sending to PNG, and your 54 million, is also other vaccines... what I am saying is keep them in Oz, and treat more of it's population quicker, rather than send to Thailand

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Australia is also sending to PNG, and your 54 million, is also other vaccines... what I am saying is keep them in Oz, and treat more of it's population quicker, rather than send to Thailand

I was suggesting send surplus vaccines. 

According to this ABC article, link below, the Gov has ordered 53.8 million astra vaccine doses.The company in Oz making the vax will continue to produce and sell any surplus.

"Australia has secured 53.8 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, 50 million of them to be made in Melbourne by medical giant CSL to guarantee future supply."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-16/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-approved-for-use-in-australia/13115784

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

To be truthful they haven't hidden their desire not to test saying right from the beginning they weren't interested in mass testing as it cost to much among other reasons and said they will be doing targeting testing which it turned out they targeted foreigners.

and you backed up what I said.... if you don't mass test you don't find, then whinge about the numbers increasing, and try and find scapegoats rather than look in the mirror to find the real cause, and to top it off, they say, go, travel, have a good songkran, they certainly do not seem serious in stopping the spread, but seem to hope a vaccine will come to their aid, and "prove" the government correct, in fact they have proven incapable, and a bunch of liars, concealing the truth, from their own people, and the world, though I believe many world leaders do not believe them, and for some reason the worlds media hasn't questioned them.

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

I was suggesting send surplus vaccines. 

According to this ABC article, link below, the Gov has ordered 53.8 million astra vaccine doses.The company in Oz making the vax will continue to produce and sell any surplus.

"Australia has secured 53.8 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, 50 million of them to be made in Melbourne by medical giant CSL to guarantee future supply."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-16/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-approved-for-use-in-australia/13115784

The point is, there are no "surplus" vaccines, until the entire nation is vaccinated. you keep going on about 53.8 million doses, that isn't what is in hand right now, most hasn't yet been produced.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

Sorry just done believe the hype going round on variant and numbers !!PERIOD

Seems you don't know much about this virus.  You should read this.  Maybe it will help.  But doubt it.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-many-strains-of-covid-are-there#bottom-line

https://www.today.com/health/how-many-strains-covid-19-t207173

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'd say over 100,000 tests per month is close to mass testing.  They test sewage, and if the virus is found, go into that neighborhood and do targeted testing.  It's not nothing to do with foreigners, other than the last wave was from migrants.  Don't post misinformation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-10/thailand-makes-its-own-covid-19-tests-to-avoid-import-reliance

Thailand Makes Its Own Covid-19 Tests to Avoid Import Reliance

Siam Bioscience says it can produce 100,000 tests a month

Thailand’s strategy of locally made kits mirrors vaccine plan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'd say over 100,000 tests per month is close to mass testing.  They test sewage, and if the virus is found, go into that neighborhood and do targeted testing.  It's not nothing to do with foreigners, other than the last wave was from migrants.  Don't post misinformation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-10/thailand-makes-its-own-covid-19-tests-to-avoid-import-reliance

Thailand Makes Its Own Covid-19 Tests to Avoid Import Reliance

Siam Bioscience says it can produce 100,000 tests a month

Thailand’s strategy of locally made kits mirrors vaccine plan

Yes they seemed to have backflipped on the mass testing and now seem to mention it at every opportunity.They openly admitted that they were targeting foreign workers in the Samut Sakon outbreak so enough with the misinformation thing Jeff or support your argument instead of hiding behind one liners.

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

I believe they can no longer hide the fact they haven't been testing, now the numbers have grown too high for them to hide it. Covid is well known in many provinces to have been in high numbers for a long time.

If this is true, then the next few weeks will be an interesting test of the highly speculative theory that Thai people, as well as others in mainland SE Asian countries, have a substantial degree of pre-existing immunity to the China virus, accounting for the small number of deaths in those countries (according to Worldometers, the worst mainland SE Asian country is Myanmar with 59 deaths per 1M population, not much higher than gold star Australia’s 35).

Edited by CygnusX1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Apparently Australia is ditching the Astra vax for under 50's so they can have those if they become available.Also heard other countries are also ditching the Astra vax.What happens if the Astra vax takes a few years for the clotting thing to become more widespread?Scared people rushing in to be saved might find a different welcoming committee than expected.Line up and get your shots quick hurry as fast as you can and be saved!

As with anything new, long term effects can only come with use. Remind us, how many died from a rare occurrence in the 737 Max.

As for your "clotting thing", more data gives rise to a better understanding and the condition appears to have been identified as Thrombocytopenia, a condition known to be induced by over 300 fairly common substances, including alcohol.

I have to assume that now you know that you will give up alcohol. Of course not, it is all about acceptable risk.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-thrombocytopenia-the-rare-blood-condition-possibly-linked-to-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-158522

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

No one wants the AstraZeneca vaccine if they care about their health...

The condition that appears to have been identified can be induced by a wide range of common substances, who can say that will not include the other vaccines in due course.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As with anything new, long term effects can only come with use. Remind us, how many died from a rare occurrence in the 737 Max.

As for your "clotting thing", more data gives rise to a better understanding and the condition appears to have been identified as Thrombocytopenia, a condition known to be induced by over 300 fairly common substances, including alcohol.

I have to assume that now you know that you will give up alcohol. Of course not, it is all about acceptable risk.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-thrombocytopenia-the-rare-blood-condition-possibly-linked-to-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-158522

Funny thing about the risk thing or the perceived risk thing.I may be more worried about the extremely slim chance of getting blood clots from a vaccine I choose not to take than I am of driving on Thai roads?Same with sharks "I don't go in the water and sharks don't come in the pub" which something I heard someone say in the Terrigal Pub.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"it did not specify when"

Surely, if this "variant" is as powerful and dangerous as they claim, they have the powers to close anything they want with immediate effect, so why the delay, giving it more time to infect people before they act ?

One thing is for sure. The sooner they actually take thorough steps is the sooner it will get under "control." Sitting around and talking about it gets them nowhere.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

If only there was some kind of Vaccine which could help prevent the transmission.  I know if such a vaccine existed then the Thai government would bend over backwards to ensure everyone had access to it.  ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I wonder if this outbreak will have any effect on the planned July 1 and October 1 tourist no quarantine re-opening plans.

can forget tourists this year .. Thailand won't let them in ..and their own countries won't let them out  its going to hit the fan soon .sadly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

I don’t see the concern as Mr Anutin has said there’s no risk in ten’s of thousands of Bangkokians visiting their home provinces for the yearly road cull.

Come on, road deaths are BORING, its hardly news worthy that 100s and 100s of people die over Songkran.....But a disease with a 99% survival rate....... Now thats worth going into panic mode for and shutting everything down... 

• Like 1