Can a Thai National Re-enter Thailand on expired passport?

Just curious but due to this whole Covid problem we skipped out annual Thai trip last year

We had planned on renewing my wife's Thai passport on that trip. Now we are wondering if we do not get back to Thailand

soon her passport will expire. Since we have no plan to return yet we wondered if in the future when we finally return will

she be allowed to enter on an expired Thai Passport?

We will have no problem leaving USA because she holds dual citizenship & yes we know she could enter Thailand on

that same US passport but we usually stay 3 months so she would also need to purchase a visa if we went that route

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yes, but given there's no rush why not just renew now?

Because basically all renewal has been suspended at US Consulates

They do have a emergency option but this is not an emergency

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/services-for-thais/thai-passport/emergency-passport/

They also previously did a mobile unit that would go to other States that do not have Consulates & handle passport/Thai ID etc renewals

but again due to pandemic all have been suspended

Thanks though as I thought I did read somewhere you could always re-enter your country of origin on even an expired passport

(That is not to say you could leave another country with an expired passport) ????

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, meechai said:

That sucks, it's not like they're overworked with the stampede of tourists looking for visas!

• Like 2

My wife's passport expired in July '20 and we moved to CM in late Sep '20.  To return to LOS she needed to get a Certificate of Identity (CI) from Los Angeles consulate.  It was fairly easy until US postal service 'lost' her overnight express packet containing her old passport and Thai ID for 9 days.  But once the packet was found and delivered the consulate completed the CI process quickly.  If your wife has both her old passport and Thai ID the process will be easy.  If not, there is a lot of other documentation required to get the CI.  There were no fees for the CI other than two US Express mail charges.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

This is from the Royal Thai Consulate Washington DC. Check it out and give them a call.

https://thaiembdc.org/thai-e-passport-eng1/

BTW. This office is about 2 miles from the Thai embassy. 

Yes same as the LA office but both require in person visit

We do not live near either of those States

Unfortunately the mobile visits to other States are on hold till Covid is done I guess?

24 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

My wife's passport expired in July '20 and we moved to CM in late Sep '20.  To return to LOS she needed to get a Certificate of Identity (CI) from Los Angeles consulate.  It was fairly easy until US postal service 'lost' her overnight express packet containing her old passport and Thai ID for 9 days.  But once the packet was found and delivered the consulate completed the CI process quickly.  If your wife has both her old passport and Thai ID the process will be easy.  If not, there is a lot of other documentation required to get the CI.  There were no fees for the CI other than two US Express mail charges.

Yes thanks & the more we look at this the more it almost sounds as bad as Thai Immigration for expats ????

But.....the good news is.... as I said she is also a US citizen so we will likely use her US Passport to leave US & enter Thailand next time with that.

Once there it should not be too hard to renew Thai passport as we have done it years ago in Chiang Mai & it was rather easy

Unless of course before we take another Thai trip Thai Consulate restarts mobile services visits to other States here in the USA

Edited by meechai

12 minutes ago, meechai said:

Yes thanks & the more we look at this the more it almost sounds as bad as Thai Immigration for expats ????

But.....the good news is.... as I said she is also a US citizen so we will likely use her US Passport to leave US & enter Thailand next time with that.

Once there it should not be too hard to renew Thai passport as we have done it years ago in Chiang Mai & it was rather easy

Unless of course before we take another Thai trip Thai Consulate restarts mobile services visits to other States here in the USA

Once inside LOS my wife was able to get a new passport in only hours at Chang Wattana in BKK.

I caution against having your wife use her US passport.  The LA consulate advised my wife that using her US passport would require her to meet the travel requirements the same as any other US citizen.  Getting the CI document is easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Once inside LOS my wife was able to get a new passport in only hours at Chang Wattana in BKK.

I caution against having your wife use her US passport.  The LA consulate advised my wife that using her US passport would require her to meet the travel requirements the same as any other US citizen.  Getting the CI document is easy.

Thanks & yes getting the passport renewed in LOS was pretty quick for us last time.

Also yes if she travels into Thailand on her US passport she travels as an American.

No problem as we get the visa here before we leave & are good for 90 days.

But we will see if at the time it is not too much hassle the CI doc may be an option

We never stay longer anymore as we have majority of our life back here.

But 3 months there (cool months) is great to see family there & tend to our home etc.

Edited by meechai

22 hours ago, meechai said:

They do have a emergency option but this is not an emergency

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/services-for-thais/thai-passport/emergency-passport/

They also previously did a mobile unit that would go to other States that do not have Consulates & handle passport/Thai ID etc renewals

but again due to pandemic all have been suspended

Thanks though as I thought I did read somewhere you could always re-enter your country of origin on even an expired passport

(That is not to say you could leave another country with an expired passport) ????

The London Consulate is just opening up, they gave us a date in May when we could go to renew passport. maybe you could call and see if any change in the US?

Edited by NCFC
  • Thanks 1

Wife is doing it right now. Her Thai passport is also expired. 

At the Washington DC Embassy the waiting time for an appointment to renew a passport is 3 months. 

They suggested  she applied for an Emergency travel document, and renew the passport when she gets to Thailand. 

if your embassy is the same as ours, try the information below.

Send them email first, calling is almost impossible, they answer emails quick

Passport Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008

Tel. 202-640-5310

[email protected]

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks & we will keep checking in case of change

We are not worried too much as she has her US Passport & it is not hard for her

to also travel as an American

I did get a response from LA Consulate saying she could not travel on expired passport/enter Thailand so...

I guess as gamb00ler mentioned here a CI (certified Identity) would be an option too.

Anyway.......The way Thailand is going with the whole Covid mess 2021 may be another miss for us anyway

But we sure would like to get back for three of the cool months like we usually do

Thanks

She has to enter with same passport she left from US. And expired passports can not be used to enter to any country for any citizen. Thai Immigration will ask her that how the US immigration let her leave the country with expired passport and also they will question her how the airline let her on board with expired passport.  If she says that she used US passport to fly then Thai immigration will ask her to provide that passport. It might cause a problem at the entry point if lying.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sencelebi said:

She has to enter with same passport she left from US.

Yes as Salerno pointed out that is not the case for dual citizens

Yes an expired passport cannot be used to enter but....It is normal to fly out of the USA on the US passport

& into Thailand on a valid Thai Passport we have done it literally a dozen+ times

Yes when you leave the US on your US passport they ask why you have no visa for Thailand...

You then show your a Thai citizen by showing your Thai Passport & that is all that is required

It of course is not a problem flying into Thailand as a Thai citizen with a valid passport

Yes they ask why no exit stamp from where you have been & you show your US passport

That is all there is to it

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, meechai said:

Yes as Salerno pointed out that is not the case for dual citizens

Yes an expired passport cannot be used to enter but....It is normal to fly out of the USA on the US passport

& into Thailand on a valid Thai Passport we have done it literally a dozen+ times

Yes when you leave the US on your US passport they ask why you have no visa for Thailand...

You then show your a Thai citizen by showing your Thai Passport & that is all that is required

It of course is not a problem flying into Thailand as a Thai citizen with a valid passport

Yes they ask why no exit stamp from where you have been & you show your US passport

That is all there is to it

My wife does the same, but has never been asked about an exit stamp. A friend of hers' decided to fly into Thailand on her US passport and went thru the non-Thai line on entering. She didn't look to see that she was given an 30 day stamp. When she went to leave several months later, she used her US passport to fly out. Even though she showed her Thai passport, she still had to pay overstay fine.

Edited by bunnydrops
typo
  • Haha 2

Thai Immigration will not turn away a returning Thai on an expired passport.

Boarding at the departure point will be the problem.

I am told that aThai PP can be renewed at a Thai Embassy in 16 days )max)

You gotta pay for the express courier return

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sencelebi said:

She has to enter with same passport she left from US. And expired passports can not be used to enter to any country for any citizen. Thai Immigration will ask her that how the US immigration let her leave the country with expired passport and also they will question her how the airline let her on board with expired passport.  If she says that she used US passport to fly then Thai immigration will ask her to provide that passport. It might cause a problem at the entry point if lying.

I never need a passport to enter back to France. I just need to prove my identity and citizenship with my national identity card. it would be strange if she couldn't show her thai ID card

• Like 1

15 hours ago, natway09 said:

Thai Immigration will not turn away a returning Thai on an expired passport.

Boarding at the departure point will be the problem.

I am told that aThai PP can be renewed at a Thai Embassy in 16 days )max)

You gotta pay for the express courier return

Yes if it is possible to go to that State & apply. Express courier no longer accepted

They need to see you & photo you for newer E-passports

Here in the USA that is not easy at this time due to Covid

Previously the LA Consulate did a mobile deal once per year to various States so other could renew their Thai PP or govt card/ID etc

Here is the LA Consulate reply/options given

You have 2 choices, 

1. Make an appointment and come to Los Angeles office to renew Thai passport https://thaiconsulatela.org/passport-appointment/
2. Ask for emergency passport (CI) it can be done by mail https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/services-for-thais/thai-passport/emergency-passport/ and go back Thailand to renew passport over there.

Edited by meechai

7 hours ago, daejung said:

I never need a passport to enter back to France. I just need to prove my identity and citizenship with my national identity card. it would be strange if she couldn't show her thai ID card

Yes just depends these days when departing which country which airlines etc

See the airline is responsible for assuring you will be accepted at arrival into xx country

So when they see you have no visa..whether or not they accept your expired PP is their choice not the arriving country

Bottom line....these days with all the hoops etc would we want to take one more chance at departure? ????

13 hours ago, 7by7 said:

My wife and daughter are both dual Thai/British citizens. They have each on separate occasions left the UK using their British passport and entered Thailand using their expired Thai passport without any problems.

My wife's was only a couple of months out of date; but my daughters had expired over a year previously.

Citizens of most countries have an absolute right to enter the country of which they are a citizen. A passport usually confirms citizenship, and that citizenship does not expire just because the passport has.

Of course, a valid passport is usually required to leave again, so my wife and daughter both renewed their Thai passports whilst there. Cheaper, quicker and easier than doing so in the UK.

Yes normally I would think that is the case but...........

Same as you said bold underlined above....The US airline of choice may also require the same to fly you to the destination

of that expired passport with no further visa etc

Again...it is just these trying days that one would not want to find out at departure you will be denied

Especially afaik Visa On Arrival is dead for now? So we would be safer to just each get a 3 month visa before hand if her PP is not

sorted by the time we fly

That will satisfy all & would not be a US citizen overstay as our trips are 90 days or less & she would renew Thai PP while in Thailand

But lastly... Unless this whole C19 deal clears up we are remaining stationary in our safe rural residence here. Just too many hoops & rules/risk etc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, meechai said:

Especially afaik Visa On Arrival is dead for now?

Visa on Arrival is indeed dead for the time being, but has never been relevant to your wife (she's a Thai citizen) nor for yourself, who being American  is eligible for visa exempt (not VOA) which was suspended for a while but has been reinstated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, meechai said:

Yes normally I would think that is the case but...........

Same as you said bold underlined above....The US airline of choice may also require the same to fly you to the destination

of that expired passport with no further visa etc

Again...it is just these trying days that one would not want to find out at departure you will be denied

Especially afaik Visa On Arrival is dead for now? So we would be safer to just each get a 3 month visa before hand if her PP is not

sorted by the time we fly

That will satisfy all & would not be a US citizen overstay as our trips are 90 days or less & she would renew Thai PP while in Thailand

But lastly... Unless this whole C19 deal clears up we are remaining stationary in our safe rural residence here. Just too many hoops & rules/risk etc

Carriers have a duty to check that, to the best of their knowledge, passengers have the necessary paperwork to enter their destination; and can be heavily fined if they knowingly carry a passenger who does not.

However, all airlines' international check in staff know, or should know, that many (most?) countries allow their citizens to enter with an expired passport; and that Thailand is one such country.

As I said, neither my wife nor my daughter had a problem; but I do know of one instance where someone did. A request to speak to the check in supervisor soon fixed it.

However, if you want to get a visa for her in her US passport; up to you and her. But remember, if she uses her US passport to enter Thailand then for all immigration purposes she will be treated as a US citizen and she must also use it to leave.

Whether or not she could renew her Thai passport in Thailand when there is no record of it and it's holder entering the Kingdom, I don't know. 

I think you are overcomplicating things. If she's unable to renew her Thai passport in the US before you travel, then I suggest she uses her expired one to enter Thailand and renew it whilst there. If worried about her being allowed to check in with an expired Thai passport, contact your airline and ask. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Salerno said:

Visa on Arrival is indeed dead for the time being, but has never been relevant to your wife (she's a Thai citizen) nor for yourself, who being American  is eligible for visa exempt (not VOA) which was suspended for a while but has been reinstated.

Yes thanks

My bad I did confuse the two

Way back when I did visit Thailand for 30 days or less I would get the  "visa exemption" Which was good for 30 days

Edited by meechai

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

However, all airlines' international check in staff know, or should know, that many (most?) countries allow their citizens to enter with an expired passport; and that Thailand is one such country.

However, if you want to get a visa for her in her US passport; up to you and her. But remember, if she uses her US passport to enter Thailand then for all immigration purposes she will be treated as a US citizen and she must also use it to leave.

Whether or not she could renew her Thai passport in Thailand when there is no record of it and it's holder entering the Kingdom, I don't know. 

I think you are overcomplicating things. If she's unable to renew her Thai passport in the US before you travel, then I suggest she uses her expired one to enter Thailand and renew it whilst there. If worried about her being allowed to check in with an expired Thai passport, contact your airline and ask. 

Yes as I said that "should know" & "most" part is what we like to avoid...especially when one considers prep/reservation/flights etc etc already performed & paid for

But again...........We very likely will not be traveling at all till this all clears up

So.....we very likely will have renewed her Thai Passport here with the Mobile LA Consulate once they resume their

visits to our State

Thanks

Edited by meechai

8 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You can't extend Thai passports now, they'll just get you a new one, previous passport is not required to get a new one

Potential problem, however is that if she came in and (have to, otherwise there'll be overstaying fine) leave on her US passport, there'll be no record of her leaving Thailand on her Thai passport, and should she re-enters Thailand next time on her new , unused Thai passport, there might be question from the immigration on how did she leave Thailand and how long was she away, Is it a good idea to let Thai immigration know and link your identity on two passport. so it'd be best to present only the expired Thai passport when entering 

16 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Why not get it renewed in the US and the Thai Embassy or consulate, just as I do do with my US passport here in Thailand?

On 4/9/2021 at 6:26 AM, meechai said:

all renewal has been suspended at US Consulates