Thailand sees a run on hospitals as Covid-19 cases linked to entertainment venues are reported

webfact

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Grasping onto how well you think Thailand has done in the past does not resolve the current outbreak that threatens the whole country with a new more infectious strain thats never been dealt with before here.

Are you saying that with reference to hard facts and data or is it just your impression?

5 hours ago, wordchild said:

this is a major issue if the situation continues to deteriorate.

As i understand it, the policy so far (in Thailand)  has been to hospitalize all positive covid cases , whether symptomatic or not. This has probably helped reduce spread in Thailand as it is also a very effective means of quarantining . 

The hospital that carries out the test is obliged to admit the positive cases it finds; consequently many hospitals are already running out of beds. I heard yesterday of one major Bangkok hospital that was refusing to carry out tests because it said it did not have the capacity to admit more (covid) patients. 
I suspect the policy on immediate hospitalization will have to change. The majority of covid sufferers (80 percent plus) should be able to manage just fine outside a hospital setting . Thailand will likely be forced to move to the system followed in other countries where people are only hospitalized if their symptoms become more serious.

Maybe a good solution would be to utilize the spare hotel capacity that is now building again within the state provided and the ASQ system. Positive covid cases, amongst otherwise healthy people,  could be sent to these hotels/facilities  and quarantined there. They would only need to be transferred to a hospital if their symptoms deteriorated.

Obviously the hotels concerned would need to upgrade and make other changes (to protect their staff) if they are going to switch to taking confirmed positive cases as guests; but this should be possible for some at least. This would ease the pressure on the healthcare system and would likely be preferable to army run field hospitals. 

Good idea, but the shot was wrong as the football commentators used to say!

Unfortunately for us all the SH!T is going to hit the fan BIG-TIME in the next 2/3 weeks.

It would take most hotels at least a month to prepare for ASQ even if they had the money to do it!.....I Don't see Pruyut sponsoring that in the next 24 hours or EVER!

I'm stocking up and staying home......Essentials first.....Alcohol! 

Edited by metisdead
Trolling images removed.

17 minutes ago, todlad said:

Are you saying that with reference to hard facts and data or is it just your impression?

Not my impression, plenty of hard facts and data on how infectious the uk variant is, have you not done some basic research on that? I suggest you do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not my impression, plenty of hard facts and data on how infectious the uk variant is, have you not done some basic research on that? I suggest you do.

I know about the UK variant and, as I am sure you are aware, there are many other variants and there will be many other variants. Awareness, also, of the strength of the variants, if that's the right word.

How many UK variant cases are there in Thailand and what has been their impact to date? What are the forecasts for that variant? What are the hard facts here?

How it got here seems to be well known but here it is.

39 minutes ago, todlad said:

Talk to your significant Thai who will tell you that the Thong Lor, Ekkamai etc cluster is not so much to do with foreigners as Ministers, Actors, golf caddies ... more elite than expat.

Here is your go to article. It is linked and listed in my post above.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dave moir said:

I think you're tempting fate if you have auto immune disorder and you want to vaccinate!????

The alternative is to to stay home and never go out until the pandemic is over (if it is ever over). It is unrealistic because you still need to go out shopping for food. If you get infected, there is a high chance you will get severely sick and die.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

What are you gobbling on about, the fact is the UK variant is here and now it needs to be dealt with. Fact. 

If you want to see forecasts and impacts for this variant look no further than the UK, US and Europe.

Goodness, it took you just one attempt at being civil and then you dive bombed.

I mentioned that the UK variant is here and I mentioned that is seems to be well known how it got here. So, yes, it is a fact, it is here. I also mentioned impacts but called it strength, highlighting that I might have used the wrong word.

So, leaving aside the nonsense part of your reply, all I am asking you is how many cases there are here, based on your knowledge and sources and what does the future hold for its development here?

I am asking, in case you had forgotten, because you were rather bold in your assertions in the first of your posts in this thread and I am checking whether to be as worried as you asserted we should be or not.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is your go to article. It is linked and listed in my post above.

Exactly, that is the news I was referring to. Thanks for the link to that article.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dave moir said:

I think you're tempting fate if you have auto immune disorder and you want to vaccinate!????

Get real Sir.  Learn about auto immune issues. They affect approximately 5% of the people in developed countries.

7 minutes ago, todlad said:

Goodness, it took you just one attempt at being civil and then you dive bombed.

I mentioned that the UK variant is here and I mentioned that is seems to be well known how it got here. So, yes, it is a fact, it is here. I also mentioned impacts but called it strength, highlighting that I might have used the wrong word.

So, leaving aside the nonsense part of your reply, all I am asking you is how many cases there are here, based on your knowledge and sources and what does the future hold for its development here?

I am asking, in case you had forgotten, because you were rather bold in your assertions in the first of your posts in this thread and I am checking whether to be as worried as you asserted we should be or not.

How many cases of the UK variant do you need to start an outbreak, 1. 

How many of those cases have been sequenced? We do know that 24 have officially been confirmed with the variant. We also know that this is a vast under reported figure with the lack of testing going on now.

You ask me what does the future hold? A dark period of longterm severe lockdowns unless its dealt with now.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

The math doesn't add up for me?  Venues have been opened for a while the outbreak is being blame on a particular area or venues indirectly that is like pointing the fingers at foreigners? What does that say about the 14 days quarantine?

Is there no thought that the origination of the infection might have come from people working these venues causing the infection to their customers. You read some of these reports even higher ups locals are infected I don't think they are visiting these venues mentioned that are now being closed.

The spread is just too fast?  to list 40 province so fast it just doesn't add up? In the past they couldn't jump fast enough to blame the dirty farang this time they are tip toeing why?  I think it is time to close the border Myanmar where the problem might be rumor to be coming from? ????????

It all adds up when you realise that Thailand is ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wordchild said:

Maybe a good solution would be to utilize the spare hotel capacity that is now building again within the state provided and the ASQ system. Positive covid cases, amongst otherwise healthy people,  could be sent to these hotels/facilities  and quarantined there. They would only need to be transferred to a hospital if their symptoms deteriorated.

Brilliant idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The problem here is that with only a few cases the hospitals are already being over run.  

Yes, that's what many don't realise about the response/measures related to COVID, government's fear of hospitals being overwhelmed. (When people say that everything should carry on as normal).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Seems they don't have enough testing capacity to deal with the current outbreak as low as they are they are struggling to keep up which is why the outbreak will fizzle like the other 2 waves they run out of tests and that's the Thai way of successfully dealing with the covid issue.Below is a quote from the linked article.

Many pubgoers responded to the call and rushed to get the PCR tests with the result that both public and private hospitals became overloaded. And, of course, when someone tests positive, his/her work colleagues or family members also have to go for a test and thus the demand for RT-PCR tests has exceeded the capacity of the hospitals.

No surprise there, that is what happens when there is very little demand, the test kits have a shelf life of about 6 months.

Of course the government were wrong not to routinely replenish every hospital to ensure enough kits for an outbreak of unknown size that may never happen.

3 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Or you can live your life normally, happy in the knowledge that you have a more than 99% chance of NOT dying from the virus.

Good point!!

COVID-19 Survival Rates

• Age 0-19: 99.997%
  • Age 20-49: 99.98%
  • Age 50-69: 99.5%
  • Age 70+: 94.6%
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Grasping onto how well you think Thailand has done in the past does not resolve the current outbreak that threatens the whole country with a new more infectious strain thats never been dealt with before here.

This Strain of Covid that Thailand has to contend with, is only one of many new Mutations that have evolved over the past Year or so.

Others such as the Brazilian Strain are much worse.

But the Health Minister stated back in April of last Year, that Thailand had one of the top 5 health Services on the Planet.

I guess we are about to find out if he was telling porkys 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

A good job has been done up until now, I know that  seems to upset a few of the commentators on here,but Thailand has done a much better job than  most  other countries. 

Well unfortunately 1200 KM of frontiers with Myanmar was difficult to contain and that has been costing Thailand 1 year of sacrifice on the Tourism Industry ... with see as this time they are confronting a different beast .

7 minutes ago, Marco100 said:

Well unfortunately 1200 KM of frontiers with Myanmar was difficult to contain and that has been costing Thailand 1 year of sacrifice on the Tourism Industry ... with see as this time they are confronting a different beast .

So are you a doctor Doctor Marco?  Your saying that the issues faced now in Thailand are from Myanmar.  Are you a Virologist, Have you tested those in Myanmar, are you on the front lines.  Please tell us how you concluded that the issue of a 1200km frontier has cost Thailand 1 year of sacrifice for tourism.  Are you blaming it all on Myanmar?  Really not true.

Edited by ThailandRyan

42 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Good point!!

COVID-19 Survival Rates

• Age 0-19: 99.997%
  • Age 20-49: 99.98%
  • Age 50-69: 99.5%
  • Age 70+: 94.6%

But depending upon Geographic location, there is a high likely hood that somebody near and dear to you will catch Covid,

Maybe it will be your Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister Auntie Uncle Grandpa Grandma, who knows.