Easy Way To Gain Some Control Over Windows 10 Updates

rcuthbert

Sometimes, Widows 10 updates can get stuck at 100%, which leaves one without access to their computer. It happened to me, and I had to use f8 - system restore. What a time consuming pain it the butt!

Afterwards, I opened properties on my network connection, and set it to "metered connection." Now, Windows only downloads security updates.:

"How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections where extra charges may apply. In that case, Windows Update will automatically download only those updates requited to keep Windows running smoothly.

If wanted, you are able to allow Windows Update to automatically download updates over metered connections.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Windows Update to automatically download updates over metered connections in Windows 10."

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139722-turn-off-download-updates-over-metered-connections-windows-10-a.html

Edited by rcuthbert
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you search carefully you can find an app that edits the registry to completely stop ALL updates. You can easily enable or disable uodates if you want to. It's just a single use exe file that you run when you want to change the registry settings. 

I'm willing to take my chances and haven't allowed updates for two years. I regularly backup to an external USB drive which I keep unplugged in case of ransonware attacks. I also have virus checkers of course.

In the past win updates were the things that most often broke my pc and I got tired of playing their game. 

PM me if you want more info. 

• Confused 1