A dozen Bangkok hospitals suspend COVID-19 testing amid shortages

webfact

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"it did not specify when"

Surely, if this "variant" is as powerful and dangerous as they claim, they have the powers to close anything they want with immediate effect, so why the delay, giving it more time to infect people before they act ?

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

No it's not, the vaccines do in fact work so such measures would be complete nonsense.

Countries aren't going to let there citizens into countries that Haven't vaccinated.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I hate to say I told you so.  I have been saying Thailand would get to feel the effects of the real virus one day.  I'm distressed as it effects my fiance who now lives in a redzone and has many travel plans upcoming.  As well as visa interview in 2 + weeks.  

I would imagine all  "it's just flu" and Thailand has done so well and I'm so glad I stayed in Thailand, it's the safest place, are feeling worse than me.   Vaccination was always the key.  Thailand thought they were special and now the contact tracing is no more.  It's rampant virus time now and not just poor immagrant workers this time.  

Ps I've had my JJ jab 1 month ago.  

I understand Thailand putting all the vaccine hope in the 1 golden coach but why ban hospital groups from procurement?  This will end in deaths. 

They haven't banned hospital groups from procurement. We'll see them in June.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I can't believe that no travel bans have been imposed, just 2 words say it all - Bangkok & Songkran.

Now maybe we'll see just how effective Thailand's control measures are? Have they been good at preventing spread? Have they been 'managing' the figures? Have they just been lucky?

I've never really believed the figures but to be honest, I have no idea as to why Thailand appears to have faired better than a lot of other countries in tacking the Pandemic.  I fear we are about to find out though.

Travel restrictions are in place. In many provinces. Just not implemented at the national level.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

You certainly have a unique way to debate on a forum ???? Have you ever done any public speaking by chance?

What is so unique about a person saying he believes in what he has stated on this forum ?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, stubuzz said:

How convenient. No tests;no cases.

And that's the best thing everywhere every time, if we don't test there will be no cases and life will go on as it used to. People got a bad cold or a bout of flu and they survived it or died depending on their health and available treatment at the time. No more total deaths recorded anywhere over the last 12 months and influenza has all but disappeared, go figure!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

And that's the best thing everywhere every time, if we don't test there will be no cases and life will go on as it used to. People got a bad cold or a bout of flu and they survived it or died depending on their health and available treatment at the time. No more total deaths recorded anywhere over the last 12 months and influenza has all but disappeared, go figure!

100 %    And the charade goes on...... and on, and on, and on.........   Until someone changes the game..... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Come on all you defenders of how well Thailand is doing with Covid - defend running out of tests a year after the pandemic started. Defend this pathetic planning. 

Once again Thailand will be showing lower numbers, this time for having no available testing, not from refusing to test. 

You seem to enjoy other people's pain. Have you ever thought why?

47 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

But there has just been a recorded spike in cases! What you are saying makes no senses!

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But there has just been a recorded spike in cases! What you are saying makes no senses!

Cases of what? Every year as the winter months approach, people get sick in large numbers, don't you remember going to the doc and being told that you have a viral infection and there is no treatment apart from rest, fluids and maybe Panadol etc? Antibiotics don't work on viruses so go home and take it easy, here is a certificate for 5 days, don't go to work. Meanwhile hundreds of people with the same symptoms as you died from the same thing. There are no more overall deaths from anything recorded since Covid started. "A rose by any other name" etc

4 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

Cases of what? Every year as the winter months approach, people get sick in large numbers, don't you remember going to the doc and being told that you have a viral infection and there is no treatment apart from rest, fluids and maybe Panadol etc? Antibiotics don't work on viruses so go home and take it easy, here is a certificate for 5 days, don't go to work. Meanwhile hundreds of people with the same symptoms as you died from the same thing. There are no more overall deaths from anything recorded since Covid started. "A rose by any other name" etc

So there were no excess deaths recorded in, say, the UK from March 2020 onwards?

https://ourworldindata.org/

Screen Shot 2564-04-09 at 16.06.13.jpg

Edited by Surelynot

1 hour ago, Schtrick said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times and its baffled me. Reason being that for me the flu has all but vanished in certain countries I agree but thatys because its less contagious than covid. So the combination of lockdowns, social distancing, hand washing, masks etc not only combat covid 19 but also combat the flu even more so.

You could also say that many airbourne viruses have also abated, in lockdowns then traffic accidents will all decrease, its all logical effects of the measures in place at the time. 

Do you agree? I'm not into debating the other matters you touch on as thats far more complex.

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So the combination of lockdowns, social distancing, hand washing, masks etc not only combat covid 19 but also combat the flu even more so.

Plus covid wiped out a lot of people that would have caught the flu, but didn't get the chance!!!

It is for this reason excess deaths are so important in terms of the analysis of the impact of covid.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don't do Covid here ..

The test is irrelevant , and never ever meant for purpose . We don't need tests , don't want them , zero has changed just get on with life or seriously you are in the wrong country .

Never a reason to be tested , what is required in a functional immune , no greater defence , we have no problem here , cases mean NOTHING .

We long ago hit herd , just get on with life , massively overated .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

This government could never be trusted about anything, especially about the Covid-19 infection rate. The numbers were low before because they did not test people like other Western countries did. Therefore they did not have to lie, just not test. Now they blame lack of test kits so again not testing and keep the number low. This will bite them hard if thousands get sick.

How will it bite them hard ? If the population gets stroppy they'll just do as the Burmese mob are doing and cleanse them with bullets........  It's always worked before.......   It's good to know where you're living and who you're living with........  And remember, no one in the government is responsible for any mistakes..........  Kao Jai mei ?   

How stupid can the hospital administrators be? They've had more than a year to stock up on tests and swabs, but I guess they thought Thailand was under some magical protective shield. 

Real poor risk management and planning... the latter of which is an oxymoron when used in the same sentence as Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Plus covid wiped out a lot of people that would have caught the flu, but didn't get the chance!!!

It is for this reason excess deaths are so important in terms of the analysis of the impact of covid.

Go look at the US numbers . They had 600,000 more deaths in 2020 than in the year prior. That's all the proof you need of how dangerous COVID is. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Travel restrictions are in place. In many provinces. Just not implemented at the national level.

I heard from a friend that some people had taken it on themselves to stay in Bangkok. I also had a look at the traffic on Mitraphap on Google Maps - a few hot spots but normally the entire route from Bangkok to way past Korat shows up red at the start of the Songkran holidays.  Still, it doesn't take many to spread it around - especially the Kent variant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Open up the borders and the country will be screwed.

I think its probably too late for that. I can't see this outbreak being contained - not an outbreak in Bangkok.  What they need to do is get the AZ plant up and running and get jabs in arms fast. If the vaccine manufacturers can produce a viable product and get trials running less than 6 months after the Pandemic hit - how long can it take to put up a concrete industrial building and get it operational? Still, I guess it depends on how urgent the guy at the top thinks it is and judging by the way he handled the cash handouts, its not that urgent............ mai bpen rai and all that.

• Like 1

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from the Daily Telegraph has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes indeed, what on earth have they been doing for the last year? Spending all their time and energy trying to figure out a million different ways to allow foreign tourists back into the country so that a bunch of seedy hoteliers in the likes of Pattaya renting out short-time rooms don't go broke, when they should have been ensuring supplies of tests and PPE, and negotiating hard with vendors for vaccine supplies. I'm honestly surprised that the submarine fleet isn't being discussed again, lol.

What about the moon rockets and space programmes? ????