A dozen Bangkok hospitals suspend COVID-19 testing amid shortages

webfact

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

A few days and there out of almost everything.  Amazing Thailand and its medical "Hub".

Anutin and his staff need to be replaced!

What about the unelected "PM"? and his soldiers? Should they not be replaced? Using a pandemic to line their pockets.

• Like 1

Interesting news - what could we deduct from that ?

1) Increasing the number of PCR-tests will result in an increase of incidences (not necessarily severely sick or even deaths).

Therefore, the shortage of PCR-tests could point to

an increased consumption by administration initiated tests

before Songkran by whatever reason you consider appropriate,

driving up the number of incidences.

.... vice versa:

2) Stopping repeated pilgrimages of wealthy Corona witnesses to the expensive hospital tests by restricting supplies of those tests

will decrease the number of “incidences”.

That would allow a path back to normal.

Draw you conclusions at libitum 555

On 4/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, webfact said:

At least 12 hospitals in Thailand's capital, Bangkok, said as of Friday they were suspending testing for COVID-19 due to high demand and shortage of supplies, amid a new spike in cases.

They have the kits for testing however there are not enough beds available for all those that test positive. Prayut made this statement on TV a couple of nights ago. That's what I was told by a Thai person.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, mike1967 said:

I have been saying for months and months that travel to Thailand is now out of Thailand's hands. They may think they are calling the shots but they're not. Unfortunately, it's now inevitable that travel to Thailand will be banned from vaccinated countries or at least hotel quarantine at ones own expense back in their home countries. 

The UK will be using a traffic light system i.e. green , amber and red for international travel and will be published early May . As things stand Thailand will not see normal tourism for some time . The red sector countries will be 1/ those with the highest infection rates 2/ the percentage of the population that has been vaccinated 3/ the percentage of population who have been tested 4/ risk factors akin to the country and their handling of the pandemic , so as far as the UK visitors to Thailand are concerned there will be next to zero tourism to Thailand for the foreseeable future . I wonder if the Thai authorities are aware of this development which may well be used by many western countries .

Green: country arrivals will need to take a pre-departure test as well as a PCR test on or before day two of their arrival back into the UK – but will not need to quarantine on return (unless they receive a positive result) or take any additional tests, halving the cost of tests on their return from holiday.

Amber: country arrivals will need to quarantine for a period of 10 days and take a pre-departure test, and a PCR test on day two and day eight with the option for Test to Release on day 5 to end self-isolation early

Red: country arrivals will be subject to restrictions currently in place for ‘red list’ countries which include a 10-day stay in a managed quarantine hotel, pre-departure testing and PCR testing on day two and eight.

Travellers arriving from ‘red list’ countries should pre-book a quarantine package before departure, and those going to ‘amber’ and ‘green’ countries must book test packages ahead of their trip too.

22 minutes ago, superal said:

The UK will be using a traffic light system i.e. green , amber and red for international travel and will be published early May . As things stand Thailand will not see normal tourism for some time . The red sector countries will be 1/ those with the highest infection rates 2/ the percentage of the population that has been vaccinated 3/ the percentage of population who have been tested 4/ risk factors akin to the country and their handling of the pandemic , so as far as the UK visitors to Thailand are concerned there will be next to zero tourism to Thailand for the foreseeable future . I wonder if the Thai authorities are aware of this development which may well be used by many western countries .

Green: country arrivals will need to take a pre-departure test as well as a PCR test on or before day two of their arrival back into the UK – but will not need to quarantine on return (unless they receive a positive result) or take any additional tests, halving the cost of tests on their return from holiday.

Amber: country arrivals will need to quarantine for a period of 10 days and take a pre-departure test, and a PCR test on day two and day eight with the option for Test to Release on day 5 to end self-isolation early

Red: country arrivals will be subject to restrictions currently in place for ‘red list’ countries which include a 10-day stay in a managed quarantine hotel, pre-departure testing and PCR testing on day two and eight.

Travellers arriving from ‘red list’ countries should pre-book a quarantine package before departure, and those going to ‘amber’ and ‘green’ countries must book test packages ahead of their trip too.

And with the current developments where do you see Thailand in the traffic light system? As things stand, in my opinion, it will be amber quickly changing to red then it's all over for this year. Don't take me wrong, I'm ready to head back as soon as I've had my second jab, allowing for the 14 days, but I think the decision will be taken out of my hands. Quarantine in this country is a step too far.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

And with the current developments where do you see Thailand in the traffic light system? As things stand, in my opinion, it will be amber quickly changing to red then it's all over for this year. Don't take me wrong, I'm ready to head back as soon as I've had my second jab, allowing for the 14 days, but I think the decision will be taken out of my hands. Quarantine in this country is a step too far.

I think by the time we get the list Thailand will be on the red list , even as it stands now because of the lack of testing .  You say " the decision will be taken out of my hands " why ? . If you are not a 2 week holiday tourist but will be a long stayer , buy a one way ticket which negates the return to the UK in the short term ( providing you have an existing visa ) . Am I right or have I missed something ? . One obstacle could be the lack of flights going to Thailand  if the situation worsens .

1 minute ago, superal said:

I think by the time we get the list Thailand will be on the red list , even as it stands now because of the lack of testing .  You say " the decision will be taken out of my hands " why ? . If you are not a 2 week holiday tourist but will be a long stayer , buy a one way ticket which negates the return to the UK in the short term ( providing you have an existing visa ) . Am I right or have I missed something ? . One obstacle could be the lack of flights going to Thailand  if the situation worsens .

Where do you start with that? Lol. When I first went to Thailand I was on a 15 month visa with a border run every 90 days and that's slowly been reduced to 60 days with a pain in the behind extension of 30 days. I have been happy enough to do 2 months on and 2 months off. It's now not viable to do that with all the restrictions. It's not literally been taken out of my hands, the logistics of it all have made the decision for me. I think it'll be mid 2022 until Thailand has managed to complete some kind of massive vaccination. There's no way I would want to stay in Thailand for that long, even if I could.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Where do you start with that? Lol. When I first went to Thailand I was on a 15 month visa with a border run every 90 days and that's slowly been reduced to 60 days with a pain in the behind extension of 30 days. I have been happy enough to do 2 months on and 2 months off. It's now not viable to do that with all the restrictions. It's not literally been taken out of my hands, the logistics of it all have made the decision for me. I think it'll be mid 2022 until Thailand has managed to complete some kind of massive vaccination. There's no way I would want to stay in Thailand for that long, even if I could.

OK I get it now . What with all the costs of returning to the UK i.e. pre flight covid test , ( 3-5000 baht ) booking and paying up front for 2 more pcr tests ( £ 200-£250 to be taken in the UK ) plus the increase in the cost of flights , plus any Thai quarantine costs , sure adds up .  However if a long stayer the costs are lower .However remember that even with a double inoculation it does not guarantee immunity to the virus  plus at the moment Thailand ain't what it used to be for fun .

2 minutes ago, superal said:

OK I get it now . What with all the costs of returning to the UK i.e. pre flight covid test , ( 3-5000 baht ) booking and paying up front for 2 more pcr tests ( £ 200-£250 to be taken in the UK ) plus the increase in the cost of flights , plus any Thai quarantine costs , sure adds up .  However if a long stayer the costs are lower .However remember that even with a double inoculation it does not guarantee immunity to the virus  plus at the moment Thailand ain't what it used to be for fun .

And, like I've said before, straight out of any quarantine into a Thai lockdown. For the best will in the world and positive thoughts only, it's just not gonna happen this year. 

And all these expats on here who rubbished the UK  actions, and PM Johnson. Fact is UK opening up 12 April., vaccinated half population already .  Thailand got lucky with low infection rates and  deaths over last year  and thought it could control, It has no  real plan to vaccinate / just the usual talk. A miserable failure and aPM and gov of total incompetence that rules with the help of the country's version of a parliament ..Fake

4 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

rubbished the UK  actions, and PM Johnson

150,000 dead, god knows how many suffering with long covid, contracts handed out to Tory donors, PPE shortages, the deaths of 100's of health care workers, care home populations decimated, eat out to help spread it about, starve a kid to save a quid........yep......the Tories did a cracking job.

Edited by Surelynot

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

150,000 dead, god knows how many suffering with long covid, contracts handed out to Tory donors, PPE shortages, the deaths of 100's of health care workers, care home populations decimated, eat out to help spread it about, starve a kid to save a quid........yep......the Tories did a cracking job.

Haha so blame the "Tories "   you're in a minority as you will find out with the local election and Hartlepool by election results

1 minute ago, pixelaoffy said:

Haha so blame the "Tories "   you're in a minority as you will find out with the local election and Hartlepool by election results

Sadly, I think you are correct....as Churchill said....the single greatest argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with a voter........how dumb can they get......oh we have a vaccine so forget everything that went before???