CCSA confirms closure of entertainment venues in 41 provinces from Saturday

webfact

3 hours ago, andersonat said:

I would love to know if there is any scientific-support for this action. 

There's No Denying The Evidence: Restaurants And Bars Are Helping Spread COVID-19

The hospitality sector’s protests around the world over bans on their activities, limiting them at best to selling takeaways, contrasts with the scientific evidence: well-meaning restaurant and bar owners insist they have complied scrupulously with health and safety measures, but there is no getting away from the fact that a business where people must remove their masks in order to eat or drink, has increased infection rates.

At the aggregate level, the first study to portray the obvious correlation between restaurant openings and the spread of COVID-19 was published in June by Johns Hopkins University, using data on credit card spending by 30 million customers in the United States and correlating it to the evolution of the pandemic in each state. The relationship was clear: the more spending on restaurants, the greater the number of infections.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enriquedans/2020/11/15/theres-no-denying-the-evidence-restaurants-and-bars-are-helping-spreadcovid-19/?sh=aab6dd83353f

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The government have made it clear that there will be no national travel restrictions over Songkran, but you need to watch out for some Governors who have unilaterally issued some restrictions.  Most seem to be merely a gesture (and local politicking) as they seem to be unenforceable.

Will keep an eye open, as we are planning to head out a few days after Songkran, hope we don't get stuck while on holidays as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Entertainment venues, which include bars, pubs and massage parlours, must close for 14 days, the tweet read.

Som nam na... you can't self regulate so this is what you bring on yourselves.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is going to be very disappointing news for the bars that have been struggling to stay afloat

Whats disappointing is the pure selfishness of the venues that could not operate with sfatey in mind, they've spoilt it for everyone.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

I can imagine all those foreigners who've booked flights to the "Phuket Sandbox" will be trying like crazy now to get their money back, lol!

They still have to spend ten days in ASQ so this would be only effect them for 4 days. And that's if they arrive tomorrow!

Edited by David T Pike
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

I would bet a substantial sum that no scientific evidence supports this action. And there are other non-scientific actions as well. Certainly masks and shutting down economies have not lived up to "scientific expectations" , such as "flattening the curve". Protecting those actually vulnerable and herd immunity, were most likely the best we could have done.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

fingers crossed it is JUST clubs, bars, and pubs.  

I hear ya! I quit drinking 2 years ago! No sweat off my nose for now! ???? You forgot the massage parlors! I get mine from my lovely Thai wife and don't have to pay for a happy ending if I want one... ????

Edited by David T Pike
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

As expected, that after some 200 bars in thonglor were closed earlier on. 
But they should do it gradually, starting from bangkok and red provinces, and sometimes later including orange zones. 
In the other provinces there were only single infections. So looks like overreaction. 

massage clinics should still be opened, because that is health service

Yes..a health service...????

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

My family just read from online that CM has 100 CV-19 positives now. Here it comes. No alcohol at CM restaurants is only the start. I am heading out at 5 to stock up again .

Just back from a Big C and got my stash so good for a bout 2+ weeks. Many people buying alcohol and beer starting to run out. Many seem to bethinking the same scenario gonna happen. I had to tell the wife that after the holidays will slow down a  bit. Probably a good thing. 

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

There's No Denying The Evidence: Restaurants And Bars Are Helping Spread COVID-19

The hospitality sector’s protests around the world over bans on their activities, limiting them at best to selling takeaways, contrasts with the scientific evidence: well-meaning restaurant and bar owners insist they have complied scrupulously with health and safety measures, but there is no getting away from the fact that a business where people must remove their masks in order to eat or drink, has increased infection rates.

At the aggregate level, the first study to portray the obvious correlation between restaurant openings and the spread of COVID-19 was published in June by Johns Hopkins University, using data on credit card spending by 30 million customers in the United States and correlating it to the evolution of the pandemic in each state. The relationship was clear: the more spending on restaurants, the greater the number of infections.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enriquedans/2020/11/15/theres-no-denying-the-evidence-restaurants-and-bars-are-helping-spreadcovid-19/?sh=aab6dd83353f

While at the same time, heavy restrictions in California, basically very few in Florida, life continued. The difference?

Florida:  1,531 death per million residents
California: 1,492 death per million residents

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just reported by the Nation as breaking news in Chiang Mai, 142 new cases today alone!!

There was a temperature drop from 38 c to 18 c the last week in Chiang Mai due to there rain and tataaaa... Covid is back.

The same as the winter wave in Europe.

Edited by kaneko86

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

As expected, that after some 200 bars in thonglor were closed earlier on. 
But they should do it gradually, starting from bangkok and red provinces, and sometimes later including orange zones. 
In the other provinces there were only single infections. So looks like overreaction. 

massage clinics should still be opened, because that is health service

Also brings happiness (ending)

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My parents died many years ago!  I'm in my 60s myself - should I lock myself down? ????

No, you should meet some other elderly, infect them and watch them die, then you should ask yourself if perhaps lockdown would have saved them

Edited by MikeyIdea
spelling
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There hasn't been a proper lockdown in Thailand and fewer than 100 people have died since March 2020.  If there is ever a proper lockdown, I'll follow the rules, but while the country remains open with relatively few restrictions I will continue with my life.  I respect your decision to remain locked down though.

Be careful and pay extra attention to not infect anyone else 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1