2006 Ranger - check engine light - ODB-II code P0107 - any ideas?

Topic title says it all really.

The beast has decided to put on the light and limit engine revs to about 2,500, just over 200,000km on the clock.

Any bright ideas for a simple fix before I get the man in?

20210409_130718.jpg.02d6a8c4ac67e42d8330ee9a2212c74f.jpg

Well the beastie is out, easy to get at on the Ranger. Engine plastic cover, 2 x 14mm nuts holding a cover plate and 1 x 10mm bolt holding the sensor.

Looks like the Lazada one is the right chap.

20210409_135407.jpg.6c3aa85901cd3984460d2ada5ddd0678.jpg

Hmmm, I think I see the problem. 

Can these chaps be cleaned?? With what??

20210409_135427.jpg.b2ff571696d2146a06bc54b2e8fdb800.jpg

I cleaned most of the lumps off with a toothpick and washed gently with petrol and a soft brush.

Dropped it back in, cleared the code and the engine runs (always a good result).

Test drive postponed because the weather looks iffy, if it stops I don't want to get soaked and

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I cleaned most of the lumps off with a toothpick and washed gently with petrol and a soft brush.

Dropped it back in, cleared the code and the engine runs (always a good result).

Test drive postponed because the weather looks iffy, if it stops I don't want to get soaked and

Good job!

Brake cleaner might work better than petrol....

I use this... of Country of Use and Brands change... but one thing to be careful of is to keep away from Alchol type cleansers due to the possible water per cent content... 

Image 1 - 158G Liqui Moly Air Flow Sensor Cleaner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

another concern is never try mechanical cleaning, as the fine element within will be destroyed if you accidentally rub that fine wire element. Notice the aerosol has that fine tubing which helps really focus the product, without physical contact...

• Like 1

Yeah, I was very careful with my toothpick (under magnifier) keeping it outside the actual sensor area and swilling petrol around to remove the gunge.

If it's busted it's busted easy enough to get a replacement.

We shall see how it drives.

• Like 1

Once you @Crossy have Cleaned the MAP Sensor... next is to look closely again at your aircleaner box, in case the foam etc type Box seal has been compromised, thereby letting in that dirt you've just cleaned off... I say this as one time after getting my car back from the mechanics, they had not fitted it true and straight in the grooves of the main chamber (I of course didn't see it until the year later when I removed the filter myself, and found the 'damage' ) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I must say I thought the oily gloop on the sensor was the result of EGR rather than an iffy air cleaner. Will definitely check that the cleaner box is good.

But you MAP should be placed well back on the aircleaner end of the Intake Tube rather than the throttle body end. Only gunk ever comes near an Intake Tube is the PCV gunk that only gets as far as the vicinity of the Intake Resonator box assy,. which is closer to the Throttle Body assy  ( and downwind) 

The only time I've ever seen PCV gloop get near an aircleaner element, was on a 40 years old Carby car, when the PCV tube was generally routed to the outer  shell cover of the old Aircleaners for carbies

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

But you MAP should be placed well back on the aircleaner end of the Intake Tube

The Ranger MAP is on the manifold right next to the engine after the turbo and intercooler.

EDIT Here.

20210409_163338.jpg.7b0653f16852ce261499d9584b0fb203.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The Ranger MAP is on the manifold right next to the engine after the turbo and intercooler.

well that's certainly a lot different since the old 92/93 model that I was aware of...  

seems the location change occurred some time after the 2001 model...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There IS a sensor on the air-cleaner which I'm assuming is the MAF.

20210409_164018.jpg.b609f13371f2761ba25db46b9d4d1ba1.jpg

yes you're right there... just switched the brain on to realise many 'turbo' engines have both a MAP and a MAF - whereas a non-turbo usually has a MAP or a MAF... 

• Like 1

A short test drive seems to be OK, I'll give it a longer run tomorrow (got to go to the farm shop for creature food).

Unfortunately Madam being in hospital means she cannot see her "crazy farang husband" once again fixing something technical and demonstrating that he is in fact useful to have around as well as being the proverbial ATM.

• Haha 2

Check which brand is being sold by Lazada et al - compare against OEM

Foto shows a Bosch - most likely much better quality than a cheap imported one.

Altho' the cheap import may be made in the same country as the Bosch, quality will be markedly different.

• Like 1

If I do have to get a new one and the seller shows a photo of a Bosch unit and sends me something else it goes straight back as "not as the photo".

Been there, got the t-shirt!!

• Like 1

FAIL!! ???? 

Sadly the longer test run resulted in the same error, plus another related error.

Looks like the MAP sensor is shot ????

Have to order a new one ???? 

20210410_071403.jpg.acd2986d83817eb74f44ccaecbccf58c.jpg