Health Min confirms private COVID-19 vaccines imports are allowed

snoop1130

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

It is confusing, assume that's done on purpose.

My read is that vaccines need to be Thai FDA approved, and companies need to be approved to import an approved vaccine. And each company must make a separate application for each vaccine.

So far three vaccines are Thai FDA approved: AZ, Sinovac, J&J (Janssen).

Fourteen companies (could be anyone: hospitals, logistics companies, etc.) have applied to import approved vaccines. Three, maybe four, have been approved, Ten are in the red-tape zone, probably need to grease the skids.

Everything is under control... it's in the "pending tray"

Office paperwork.jpg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, WHansen said:

I hope i have misunderstood this and there are NOT a lot of already rich people applying to be middlemen to earn lots of Baht from this importation of vaccines.

Why? 

I think it's great that I can get a vaccine sooner. 

• Like 1

Don't worry, a committee has been formed...just waiting on the news about the various sub-committees being formed.

Thailand’s former public health minister, Clin.Prof. Emeritus Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn has been appointed head of an ad hoc panel to procure alternative brands of COVID-19 vaccines for the Thai people, besides AstraZeneca and Sinovac, after the CCSA has agreed to allow the private sector to participate in the procurement of an additional 10 million doses.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ad-hoc-panel-to-procure-vaccines-with-private-sector-participation/

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Jeffr2,  no hard feelings my apologies for my bad comment no excuse but I was in a bad way no excuse. My middle name is Jeffrey my love of my life nephew is also Jeffrey.????

I'm in a bad way also.  I've kept a somewhat positive attitude through all this.  But now, starting to lose it.  Maybe need to quit reading the news. LOL

Even with a jab, life could still be difficult until the rest of the world gets vaccinated.  Which will take a few years for the less wealthy countries.  And if this thing mutates into a very deadly virus, which is extremely possible...ugh...double ugh.

Best of luck to you and the rest of us.  We might need it.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to find out the cost per user per dose. I remember in one news article the Government ordered x amount of Astra Zeneca at 64 bahts per dose.

The I saw a private hospital taking pre-admission for $200 USD per dose. Which means if you are a couple at 2 doses per it would be $800.

I dont mind paying, but not being fleeced.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WHansen said:

I have read this several times to try and understand the process. I may be wrong but to me it looks like private companies need to apply to the Thai FDA to import vaccines, after approval is granted by the FDA, those companies/organisations can import vaccines and then the hospitals or clinics can negotiate with said companies to supply them vaccines.

I hope i have misunderstood this and there are NOT a lot of already rich people applying to be middlemen to earn lots of Baht from this importation of vaccines.

With Thailands reputation for copying anything and everything from a Rolex to a Tissue, I will certainly demand to see the provenance of any Vaccine going into my arm.

Whether from a Clinic or a Gov,t Hospital

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Secretary-General of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Dr. Paisan Dankhum said today there are no blockages to private sector members importing COVID-19 vaccine and encouraged such organizations to seek registration.

Baby laughing.gif

12 hours ago, Guitar God said:

So by “soon”, they mean October? 

Dear Government folks, it's a teensy weeny vial of fluid and a syringe. Its been developed by experts and checked by experts, passed tests by experts. It takes about 10 seconds to inject into a arm!!!! 

Get over yourselves and allow it to be used! 

Vaccinate ALL OF THAILAND = NOW! Go look at MBK, so many shops GONE, CLOSED, same wherever you go! Your economy is suffering because you are procrastinating and dithering like a bunch of demented invalids. 

Your people are suffering "giddy up"!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I know it's not the same, but the following vaccines are approved for foreigners wishing to travel to Thailand, and maybe as of 1 Oct, maybe with no quarantine.

Travelers vaccinated with the list of vaccine approved by the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand as follows: (as of 31 March 2021)

(1)  Sinovac

(2)  AstraZeneca / Oxford

(3)  SK BIOSCIENCE AstraZeneca / Oxford

(4)  Pfizer / BioNTech

(5)  Covishield (Serum Institute of India)

(6)  Janssen – Johnson & Johnson

(7)  Moderna

Personally I don't believe quarantine can be lifted and my reason for saying that, is from my research, these "experimental vaccines" which they are, currently do not protect anyone but the person who has been vaccinated, meaning if they get infected, they can still spread the virus.

The above said, statistics at the moment suggest that it reduces the severity of the virus if infected, e.g. keeps them out of ICU's and hospitals, suffice to say they can still get sick with the symptoms but won't end up in hospital.

Allowing people in without being quarantined, even for 7 days in my opinion is not going to reduce the spread of this virus.

I might be wrong, but easing quarantine should only be done when they have vaccinated most of the population, that is if they are serious about reducing the spread of the virus amongst it's population, and the longer they pi$$ fart around, the more businesses will go bust and people will find it harder to resume a normal life with a income. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

The government is struggling to secure supply.

No mention of farang vaccines again!

But private hospitals will be given the ok to obtain and sell.

Sinovac as low as $5 in some countries.

But Thailand thinks $15 is ok.

What guarantee that the private vax is no more than saline solution?

Already happening overseas, fake vaccine.

Not to mention the price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Quite a few of the vaccine manufacturers have already applied for approval here in Thailand.  They're working on the final FDA approvals.  So should have a good choice from private hospitals in June.  Hopefully.

But the government is saying that 60% of the population will have one shot by end of year.

Seems odd that private sector can do by June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

It would be interesting to find out the cost per user per dose. I remember in one news article the Government ordered x amount of Astra Zeneca at 64 bahts per dose.

The I saw a private hospital taking pre-admission for $200 USD per dose. Which means if you are a couple at 2 doses per it would be $800.

I dont mind paying, but not being fleeced.

Sinovac as low as $5 in some countries.

Los seems to thing that $15 Was a good deal.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The British Council vaccinated all their Bangkok staff yesterday, both Thai and non-Thai, presumably imported from the UK.

If presumably imported then there must have been official sanction.
Is the British embassy doing anything to assist the British Citizens that are resident here?

Edited by jojothai
clarification
  • Like 1

The British Council vaccinated all their Bangkok staff yesterday, both Thai and non-Thai, presumably imported from the UK.

This was a first shot? Do you know which vaccine was used?

Did they ship this in under Dilpomatic cover?

You do realise that the British Council in Thailand is just a language school, it has zero to do with the UK Diplomatic services.

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Big difference between might and will...

you beat me to that.
next announcement will up exceptations : "may be available"
thereafter: "will maybe be available"
"will be available"
"Shall possibly be available "
"Shall maybe be available"
"Shall be available"
"Shall soon be available"

and for those that live that long, with or without virus, the announcement
"ARE, might be soon, available"
????
(should have gone careering in journalism)

3 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Up to 30 days? Is that 30 regular days or 30 Thai days (multiply Thai time by 10). The applications went in early this year. In fact they may have gone in earlier than that. The hospital I was talking to said they anticipated Moderna by late February. In late February they told me the Thai FDA hadn't approved the vaccine. I'll ask the question again, why is the Thai FDA taking so long when this vaccine was approved in the US and through much of the rest of the world last year? 

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I know it's not the same, but the following vaccines are approved for foreigners wishing to travel to Thailand, and maybe as of 1 Oct, maybe with no quarantine.

Travelers vaccinated with the list of vaccine approved by the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand as follows: (as of 31 March 2021)

(1)  Sinovac

(2)  AstraZeneca / Oxford

(3)  SK BIOSCIENCE AstraZeneca / Oxford

(4)  Pfizer / BioNTech

(5)  Covishield (Serum Institute of India)

(6)  Janssen – Johnson & Johnson

(7)  Moderna

Precisely. If the government has approved tourists and or visitors arriving in Thailand with the 7 approved vaccines, why does the approval have to take place AGAIN when those 7 vaccines are administered in Thailand?

• Thanks 2