Health Min confirms private COVID-19 vaccines imports are allowed

snoop1130

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said 14 companies have so far submitted documentation for approval.

• Three already given the go-ahead, namely AstraZeneca (Thailand), the Government Pharmaceutical Organization and Janssen-Cilag.
  • Biogenetech is currently being vetted.
  • Another 10 companies have yet to submit all needed documentation to the FDA and will be reviewed in terms of safety, quality and efficacy.

But the approval process is moving at a crawl.  Everyone can see that. 

13 minutes ago, samtam said:

Precisely. If the government has approved tourists and or visitors arriving in Thailand with the 7 approved vaccines, why does the approval have to take place AGAIN when those 7 vaccines are administered in Thailand?

At this rate, tourists with the 'approved vaccine for tourists' will be arriving before Thais are able to obtain the same vaccines because they have not yet been approved for the use in Thailand.  It's enough to make your head spin.  Thai logic - totally counter-intuitive.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WHansen said:

I have read this several times to try and understand the process. I may be wrong but to me it looks like private companies need to apply to the Thai FDA to import vaccines, after approval is granted by the FDA, those companies/organisations can import vaccines and then the hospitals or clinics can negotiate with said companies to supply them vaccines.

I hope i have misunderstood this and there are NOT a lot of already rich people applying to be middlemen to earn lots of Baht from this importation of vaccines.

Every thing regarding the vaccine rollout in Thailand is so horribly wrong.  My wife just mentioned that there charging 3,000 baht for a covid-19 test at the 3rd world Sakon Nakhon hospital.

14 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Headline says "clear link" but there is not a clear link. From the article -

"But many scientists say there is no definitive evidence and it is not clear whether or why AstraZeneca's vaccine would cause an issue not shared by other vaccines that target a similar part of the coronavirus."

There is speculation that those affected were infected with covid19 when they had the vaccine, which does have a known link with blood clots. Obviously more research is needed but, as cases are so rare, there is little to worry about - yet.

It seems odd to me that there aren't any comparisons with the other vaccines around. 

The UK death rate has dropped from over 1200 a day to around 30 a day now, while the rest of Europe is experiencing a third wave. So there is no denying the Oxford vaccine is effective especially against the aggressive UK variant.

"

The data, published in The Lancet yesterday, also showed it was 28.9% effective at preventing asymptomatic infections or cases with unknown symptoms.

Overall efficacy was 61.7% against the B117 variant and 77.3% against other variants, according to the study. The vaccine was 81.5% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 caused by non-B117 strains.

In a Lancet commentary, Rogier W. Sanders, PhD, and Menno D. de Jong, MD, PhD, of Amsterdam University Medical Centers, write, "Given the wide CIs [confidence intervals] in these exploratory analyses, no firm conclusions can be drawn on the precise clinical efficacy against the B.1.1.7 variant and, importantly, how this efficacy compares with efficacy against the original circulating variants."

Even so, they say the findings "suggest a meaningful degree of efficacy against the B.1.1.7 variant, which is encouraging."

10 million is only going to go so far.

Expats might get some, if they have any leftovers once Gov and Hi Sos get their shots, because you know who gets first dibs. And you also know why they suddenly gave the ok. When push comes to shove the Hi So's don't want to WAIT for locally made vaccine like Kone tammada people have to.

With news like this, I need more spirits for this Songkran quarantine holiday.

Edited by LomSak27

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

10 million is only going to go so far.

Expats might get some, if they have any leftovers once Gov and Hi Sos get their shots, because you know who gets first dibs. And you also know why they suddenly gave the ok. When push comes to shove the Hi So's don't want to WAIT for locally made vaccine like Kone tammada people have to.

With news like this, I need more spirits for this Songkran quarantine holiday.

Maybe there is a case for those in governments and the wealthy to be forced to the back of the queue. That may get things rolling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, WHansen said:

I have read this several times to try and understand the process. I may be wrong but to me it looks like private companies need to apply to the Thai FDA to import vaccines, after approval is granted by the FDA, those companies/organisations can import vaccines and then the hospitals or clinics can negotiate with said companies to supply them vaccines.

I hope i have misunderstood this and there are NOT a lot of already rich people applying to be middlemen to earn lots of Baht from this importation of vaccines.

There will be middlemen and they will make money. Pay the price or wait for something better. That's the way the world has always worked. 

Up to you. 

2 hours ago, joe jadore said:

Dear Government folks, it's a teensy weeny vial of fluid and a syringe. Its been developed by experts and checked by experts, passed tests by experts. It takes about 10 seconds to inject into a arm!!!! 

Get over yourselves and allow it to be used! 

Vaccinate ALL OF THAILAND = NOW! Go look at MBK, so many shops GONE, CLOSED, same wherever you go! Your economy is suffering because you are procrastinating and dithering like a bunch of demented invalids. 

Your people are suffering "giddy up"!

These jabs are made in many different factories. Did you read where the US dumped millions due to mix ups?

They are all new. Better safe than sorry.

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

There will be middlemen and they will make money. Pay the price or wait for something better. That's the way the world has always worked. 

Up to you. 

Time for a change. I would vote to force the wealthy and those in power to wait until at least 80% of the population had been vaccinated. 

That could be expanded to many other problems affecting the general population such as housing or broadband rollout. 

Come the revolution...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has reiterated it is not blocking private organizations from importing COVID-19 vaccines, pointing out it has already registered three for the process and is considering a fourth.

Best get onto it then as the nation is waiting... and waiting and waiting.

2 jabs Anutin doesn't give a stuff, we know that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deli said:

Asked at BKK International Hospital Phuket if they have a program for private vaccine. Got an answer not matching with my question...

Thai Logic , they don't care what you Ask they just Tell you what they want, Not what you Ask.  ????

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

If presumably imported then there must have been official sanction.
Is the British embassy doing anything to assist the British Citizens that are resident here?

Not sure if your last sentence was a serious comment, but I think you will find your entitlements under the NHS ceased when you boarded the plane for Thailand, the same way that my entitlements under Medicare ceased when I left Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Are you really suggesting it is safer not to be vaccinated?

If so please provide the evidence as it is the opposite of everything that I have found. 

Certainly here in the UK the only problem possibly found is the insignificant blood clot issue.

If you are healthy, eat healthy and take care of yourself, you probably have nothing to worry about.  If you are a fat slob that eats like a pig and takes a ton of medications everyday, then get the jab..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

China???   ????

The ones in the US that got messed up were being manufactured there.  A lot come from India.  Some from China.  Some from Europe. 

One reason you can't just approve them quickly.  And many of these plants have never made jabs like this before.  I think that's the case with the facility here that will be making the AZ one.  Right?

20 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Are you really suggesting it is safer not to be vaccinated?

If so please provide the evidence as it is the opposite of everything that I have found. 

Certainly here in the UK the only problem possibly found is the insignificant blood clot issue.

NOT at all.  I'll take any jab I can get!!!!  Russia, China, AZ...whatever!

"Sarcasm alert"

It'll go like this, all the other runners in the vaccine race will be found to be wanting in one area or another by the Thai FDA, however the Thai made AZ vaccine will surpass all expectations, so all those lucky Hi-So's who hold shares will be in seventh heaven.

"Alert Off"

????????????????

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DirtyFarang said:

If you are healthy, eat healthy and take care of yourself, you probably have nothing to worry about.  If you are a fat slob that eats like a pig and takes a ton of medications everyday, then get the jab..

Exactly right. If you're healthy, your own immune system will do what it's supposed to.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

NOT at all.  I'll take any jab I can get!!!!  Russia, China, AZ...whatever!

You've obviously bought into the bs. Why don't you stay home, under your bed, with your mask on and get your food delivered? That way you need never go out, never put yourself at risk so will feel a lot happier. Meanwhile let those who wish to, get back to some normality.

• Sad 2