Anyone growing day lily plants (Hemerocallis)?

You can try, but in view of the fact that the hotter it is, the faster the flowers wilt, I'm not sure it's worth it. Usually if you can't find a plant here, it's for a good reason. Seeds? Never seen naturally occurring seedlings.

I'm sure you'll find something to replace them with, try Crocosmia? 

"Easy to grow" generally means "grows like a bloody weed", which you don't need in the tropics!

9 hours ago, cooked said:

You can try, but in view of the fact that the hotter it is, the faster the flowers wilt, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If Day Lily plants don't like warm temps than they're SOL in this country. I'm not familiar with Crocosmia - I'll check them out.

• 1 month later...

Daylilies can be grown in Hawaii, and much of Australia.  Apparently the evergreen types are better than the deciduous ones that prefer cool or cold in winter.  Blooms last only one day anyway, and they do OK on hot summer days here in the U.S. though they can get ragged in the afternoon.  You could always pick the unopened buds then dry/steam them.  They are good in soup. You can find them dried in the markets in Thailand.  Called "Chinese flowers" ("Dawk Mai Jin"). 

https://www.homestolove.com.au/daylilies-9945

As for Florida: "...We have three types of daylilies in Florida: evergreen, semi-evergreen and dormant. Dormant varieties lose their foliage in the fall, disappear in winter -and reappear in spring, but they behave differently depending on location. Many dormant varieties thrive in Orlando but don't do well in Tampa Bay...."

Crocosmias should do better in somewhat warmer areas:  http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/nassauco/2017/06/01/fact-sheet-crocosmia-2/ 

If you want something flashy, there are many varieties of cannas if you can find them.  This is my most recent favorite.  I sent one to Thailand but don't know if it survived since my wife came back.  "Chocolate Sunrise".

Inline image 1

Edited by Damrongsak