One-year non-O marriage extension - when to apply?

Hi,

Can someone clarify exactly when is the earliest and latest I can apply for a new one-year extension based on marriage?

My current (first) one-year extension is due to expire at the end of next month.

I'll be applying at Chaeng Wattana, if that makes any difference.

I assume there have no new changes to the requirements in the past year.

Thanks!

You can apply up to 45 days early at Chaeng Wattana.

Remember if using the 400k baht in the bank option you will have to keep it in the bank until you return to get your extension stamp.

No changes to the requirements.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macgver said:

How’s there any other alternative? Wife (Thai) will be going to do brain surgery and need the fund for it. Unable to show 400k baht.

Proof of 40k baht income is an option. It can proved with a document from your embassy or transfers into a Thai bank account from abroad.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply up to 45 days early at Chaeng Wattana.

Remember if using the 400k baht in the bank option you will have to keep it in the bank until you return to get your extension stamp.

No changes to the requirements.

Thanks - so the actual expiry date is the deadline?

I do plan to go earlier, just curious - if I were to apply for an extension on the actual expiry date, I assume they'd still process it, with a bit of grumbling along the way?

No problem on the money front, I moved it between banks back in January but it'll stay where it is indefinitely now.

Edited by thatmanagain
address both points

On 4/10/2021 at 7:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

Proof of 40k baht income is an option. It can proved with a document from your embassy or transfers into a Thai bank account from abroad.

Two months only right. Just to prove the money from overseas. Isn’t right?

3 hours ago, macgver said:

Two months only right. Just to prove the money from overseas. Isn’t right?

If you have an existing extension then it's 12 x monthly overseas transfers.

It's only 2 months when using the 400K funds method.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 11:30 PM, Tanoshi said:

If you have an existing extension then it's 12 x monthly overseas transfers.

It's only 2 months when using the 400K funds method.

Coming up to my first annual extension. This may be a silly question, but if I apply (say) 20 days before the date stamped in passport, would I be likely to get an extension dated from that stamped date, or from the day I apply?

Likewise, how about the date of the seasoning 400K? Two months before date of application or before stamped expiry date?

4 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

This may be a silly question, but if I apply (say) 20 days before the date stamped in passport, would I be likely to get an extension dated from that stamped date, or from the day I apply?

The extension will start from the day your current permit to stay that is shown on your arrival stamp.

4 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

Likewise, how about the date of the seasoning 400K? Two months before date of application or before stamped expiry date?

It is 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

1 hour ago, Disparate Dan said:

Coming up to my first annual extension. This may be a silly question, but if I apply (say) 20 days before the date stamped in passport, would I be likely to get an extension dated from that stamped date, or from the day I apply?

As per UJ's reply. Your new extension should be dated from the expiry date of your existing extension.

1 hour ago, Disparate Dan said:

It is 2 months prior to the filing date of the application.

It's recommended to leave the 400K in the bank until the extension is approved and issued.

You can then withdraw the full amount if required.

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

As per UJ's reply. Your new extension should be dated from the expiry date of your existing extension.

Thanks both. My local office has a habit of giving me 90 days from when I come in, not when the 90 days is up, so they may do same with extension. So perhaps I'll leave it till the last day just in case.

5 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

Thanks both. My local office has a habit of giving me 90 days from when I come in, not when the 90 days is up, so they may do same with extension. So perhaps I'll leave it till the last day just in case.

90 day reports are different than annual extensions.

Online, mail or in person 90 day reports are usually issued from the date of submission, or from the due date if you submit the report after the due date. You can submit up to 6 days after the due date in person and in that case your next report date will be 90 days from the expiry date.

These reports are made if spending more than 90 consecutive days in Thailand.

Extension applications are different in so far as you've already been granted permission of stay until a certain date. A new application, even submitted up to 45 days in advance, should start from the expiry date of your existing permission of stay.

The only time your new extension application will be dated from the date of submission is when changing the reason for the application, for example from retirement to marriage, or vice versa.

• Thanks 1