Prince Philip

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for that I'll ask if the thread can be closed if it continues.

I started it for people to show respect not hijack it.

If people post inappropriate content or try derailing this topic please report it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

President Biden is a mensch.

Bill Maher is a very specific and unique comedian. He is hardly representative of all U.S. comedians.

Yeah agree Biden seems like a nice guy, I'm English and have met American people over the years of me living here and coming to my village, they were such nice ordinary people.

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I wonder if Harry feels any guilt that in the last days of Prince Philip's life he had to listen to his attention-seeking grand children bleating about how tough it was being a Royal?

No idea, but I do know I like Harry's reaction, much more personal and from the heart than the oblique and generic statement from his brother.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would say William said what he is expected to say not necessarily what he wanted to say. 

If Harry had a heart where was the care when it came to upsetting his grandfather and grandma his just a pawn in someone else's life.

Agree with your first sentence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Harry is nothing like me. 

I was born in 1947 and in school there was my Queen stuff there and I luved her,  I still have the coin from the coronation that was given to me at school.

Someone like me having done what I've done in my life the Queen would probably not approve of me but she took on Harry and was kind to him. 

I would take a bullet for my Queen I don't think Harry would.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, Crossy said:

I have no words ???? ???? 

Some of Phil's best, from here https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15265038.he-said-what-39-of-prince-philips-famous-gaffes-comments-and-clangers/

1. "British women can't cook" (in Britain in 1966).

2. "What do you gargle with, pebbles?" (speaking to singer Tom Jones after the 1969 Royal Variety Performance).

3. "I declare this thing open, whatever it is." (on a visit to Canada in 1969).

4. "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed" (during the 1981 recession).

5. "If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting).

6. "It looks like a tart's bedroom." (on seeing plans for the Duke and Duchess of York's house at Sunninghill Park in 1988)

7. "Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on." (shouted from the deck of Britannia in Belize in 1994 to the Queen who was chatting to her hosts on the quayside).

8. "We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right? Are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it." (about the Second World War commenting on modern stress counselling for servicemen in 1995).

9. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout).

10. "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" (in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting).

11. "Bloody silly fool!" (in 1997, referring to a Cambridge University car park attendant who did not recognise him).

12. "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999).

13. "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf." (to young deaf people in Cardiff, in 1999, referring to a school's steel band).

14. "They must be out of their minds." (in the Solomon Islands, in 1982, when he was told that the annual population growth was 5%).

15. "You are a woman, aren't you?"(In Kenya, in 1984, after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

16. "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed." (to British students in China, during the 1986 state visit).

17. "Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (in Thailand, in 1991, after accepting a conservation award).

18. "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." (in Australia, in 1992, when asked to stroke a Koala bear).

19. "You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly." (to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, in 1993).

20. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994).

He certainly was not the nicest of people.

• Sad 3

On 5/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, Kwasaki said:

Harry's selfishness seems to have no regard towards his Grandmother the Queen which makes me dislike him more than I'm allowed to say. 

A trait which, I suspect, he has inherited from his scheming, manipulative wife. Certainly I don't recall him behaving particularly selfishly before she came into his life in 2016. There can, I think, be little doubt that she is the one wearing the trousers in that particular marriage!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

A trait which, I suspect, he has inherited from his scheming, manipulative wife. Certainly I don't recall him behaving particularly selfishly before she came into his life in 2016. There can, I think, be little doubt that she is the one wearing the trousers in that particular marriage!

I wonder how long the marriage will last.

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

Why? Don't ever remember her shooting wildlife. and then pretending to be a conservationist.

But I can recall her swanning around in private jets and then pretending to be an environmentalist.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:20 PM, possum1931 said:

He certainly was not the nicest of people.

He took part in blood "sports". Shooting wild life just for the fun of it. I stand to be corrected here, but was he not also one of the foxhunting brigade? That in itself would put me off anyone, no matter who they are.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

He took part in blood "sports". Shooting wild life just for the fun of it. I stand to be corrected here, but was he not also one of the foxhunting brigade? That in itself would put me off anyone, no matter who they are.

especially as that is Not just an 'English' elite thing...

in the US it is popular, as 'Fox Chasing'  

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Attitudes are different in later years, he was a man of his time and of his generation.

People would go "Hunting" for many reasons and nothing to do with the actual Fox !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Attitudes are different in later years, he was a man of his time and of his generation.

People would go "Hunting" for many reasons and nothing to do with the actual Fox !

But surely in any years, how can anyone want to enjoy watching a screaming fox getting torn to pieces by a bunch of dogs? But yes,  you have got it spot on in your last sentence.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

sorta like Hash House Harriers - an an unarmed generic sort of way

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But surely in any years, how can anyone want to enjoy watching a screaming fox getting torn to pieces by a bunch of dogs? But yes,  you have got it spot on in your last sentence.

You are making assumptions.

A Fox is in fact very rarely caught. The team actually in many instances protect the Fox and drag a carcass behind a horse for the dogs to follow AWAY from where real Fox lairs may actually be.

Have you ever actually seen what you describe ? Other than in anti hunt media ? I'll lay a bet you havnt ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

You are making assumptions.

A Fox is in fact very rarely caught. The team actually in many instances protect the Fox and drag a carcass behind a horse for the dogs to follow AWAY from where real Fo lairs may be.

Have you ever actually seen what you describe ? Other than in anti hunt media ? I'll lay a bet you havnt ?

No I haven't, I am only going by what I've read, I have just always hated cruelty of any sort whether it involves animals or people.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You would be put off my friend who was a chicken and sheep farmer. 

I use to shoot on his farm and shoot foxes that had "mange" I think that's what it's called,  you couldn't inject them like dogs. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You would be put off my friend who was a chicken and sheep farmer. 

I use to shoot on his farm and shoot foxes that had "mange" I think that's what it's called,  you couldn't inject them like dogs. 

Nothing wrong with shooting vermin who are a danger  to the chickens and sheep. But shooting birds out of the air just for enjoyment is not on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...