Chonburi orders all entertainment venues to close

snoop1130

Take care of yourselves, eat lots of healthy foods, get enough sleep. According to the professionals:

"If you are in an area where there is an outbreak of COVID-19 you need to take the risk of infection seriously. Follow the advice issued by national and local health authorities. Although for most people COVID-19 causes only mild illness, it can make some people very ill. More rarely, the disease can be fatal. Older people, and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes) appear to be more vulnerable."

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200225-sitrep-36-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=2791b4e0_2#:~:text=Although for most people COVID,to be more vulnerable.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, SGD said:

Covidbollocks nonsense.

At worst, it would think out he herd by 0.01%

But it might kill 25% plus of business.

The greater good ?

I do not understand the part "At worst, it would think out he herd by 0.01%". Could you explain it, please?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not the only place, resting on it's laurels of low infection numbers due to isolation and lockdown. A pal in Oz, well over 70, just got his first jab.

Australia has a population of around 25 million people.   I see they plan to have 65% of their population, around 16 million people, vaccinated by the end of this year.

So, that's around 9 months to vaccinate 16 million people.

Thailand has around 70 million people.  Around 65% is 45 million people.  

All going well, you are looking at the second half of 2022 to have Thai's vaccinated, probably longer.  

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The recent announcement that hospitals can procure jabs here (to sell I guess) brings hope.... but I see greedy fingers pondering how to get their bucks worth off it. 

Brings hope to who?  

• Like 1

A regular little party going on at the restaurant downstairs in my condo block, the beers are flowing, music playing, What bar shutdown ?????

The drunks just find a restaurant and turn it into a bar, I wouldn't be surprised if some freelancers move in

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Australia has a population of around 25 million people.   I see they plan to have 65% of their population, around 16 million people, vaccinated by the end of this year.

So, that's around 9 months to vaccinate 16 million people.

Thailand has around 70 million people.  Around 65% is 45 million people.  

All going well, you are looking at the second half of 2022 to have Thai's vaccinated, probably longer.  

Brings hope to who?  

Unfortunately, we are all scre... I think.  The variants will be taking over by then many of the current vaccines may not work.  It is like a revolving door of cocoon Covid like many of the experts say, it will be around for quite some time.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A regular little party going on at the restaurant downstairs in my condo block, the beers are flowing, music playing, What bar shutdown ?????

The drunks just find a restaurant and turn it into a bar, I wouldn't be surprised if some freelancers move in

Sounds like a good time to look for a new place to live.  Lots of bargains in Naklua now no bars or noise.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:03 AM, Kerryd said:

According to the document below (the same one that the Pattaya New site shows in fact), under which businesses are affected, article 1.3 clearly states "massage parlours".
I don't see any differentiation between "traditional" or "soapy" massage parlours, despite what the Pattaya News seems to think.

Article 1.3:
๑.๓ สถานประกอบกิจการอาบน้ำ อบไอน้ำ และสถานประกอบกิจการอาบอบนวด

Translated:
1.3 A steam bath business establishment and a massage parlor business establishment

(Steam bath meaning Saunas and the like.)

As mentioned before, there is no doubt a lot of places will stay open regardless. At least until a couple get raided by the cops and make the news. Just like some bars and other places. Just like every other time there's a shut down for any reason.

a.thumb.jpg.f1d69df7ccf4ca28f15136485137fb64.jpg  b.thumb.jpg.2610f5ffc1c9f371235624fd617a5746.jpg

This makes me wonder whether Health Land Spa And Massage on North Pattaya Road is allowed to be open. It is the one I visited on my last vacation in Pattaya, pre-Covid period.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Unfortunately, we are all scre... I think.  The variants will be taking over by then many of the current vaccines may not work.  It is like a revolving door of cocoon Covid like many of the experts say, it will be around for quite some time.   

I just don't understand Thailand's strategy to move forward out of the situation.  It's like they don't have one, despite having 1 year to come up with a plan. 

I wouldn't expect it to be comprehensive and logistically sound, live western countries, but any plan is better than none. 

For a country that relies on tourism for around 17% of its GDP, it's a failure of government. 

Do they think covid will just disappear and they would have saved a few baht by not paying up to vaccinate the Thai people?   

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Smallpox was around for 200 years after a vaccine was developed. We'll have to live with covid, not stop living for it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do they think covid will just disappear and they would have saved a few baht by not paying up to vaccinate the Thai people? 

Agreed. Everyone should have the chance of a free vaccination. Seems that there are global supply shortages though, even in places like Australia that usually gets this kind of thing right.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Brings hope to who? 

To me, as I see this as likely to put commercially available jabs out there for those prepared to pay. That would include me.... I want out of this imprisonment.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes this has been mentioned and last time it got all the restaurants closed down. 

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I talked to a pal in Perth only last night.... he is over 70 and yet to get his 1st jab, and is on a list for 2 weeks from now. He usually lives in Thailand and not being registered apparently cause delay. Not an issue when infection numbers are very low and under control, but in other countries the infection rages on and a mutation is a great fear,

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Eh?  You think Bangkok might stop people returning to work after Songkran?  I don't think so!

I agree.... workers will be allowed to return at the end of the week. Then we start to count the damage done.....

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, Ebola is contained to certain areas and Covid is not.  No comparison.

It is comparable with flu though. It's a respiratory infection that can in rare cases be fatal, particularly to those who are old or sick.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

It is comparable with flu though. It's a respiratory infection that can in rare cases be fatal, particularly to those who are old or sick.

Not quite.
Ebola is thought to mutate at about a quarter the rate that the influenza virus does. However, it is VERY lethal.

KEY FACTS

• Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a severe, often fatal illness in humans.
  • The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.

The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks.

The mortality rate of the covid virus is, on the whole, considerably lower. However, the rate rises amongst the elderly (60 y.o.a. and up) and those with underlying conditions (diabetes, cancer, etc).

Scary thought - they've found fruit bats in Bangladesh that were carrying anti-bodies for the Ebola Zaire variant of the virus. It may be only a matter of time before there's an outbreak outside of Africa and where would be better suited than a place like Bangladesh (very dense population of poor people crowded into small areas). 

There are 4 main strains of the Influenza (Flu) virus (A, B, C, D) though it is the A strain that apparently causes most of the problems. However, it seems they've detected over 131 "sub-strains" of the A type, with the potential for there being another 67 that they haven't detected. Yet.

Covid-19 is also developing a number of strains, and possibly sub-strains as well. And doing it in a remarkable short time. They haven't had enough time to properly research the main virus and already have what, a half dozen or more other strains appearing ? No doubt they will develop sub-strains as well.

The first flu vaccine was developed back in the 1930s but it wasn't widely available until after WW2.

And in the 75 years since then (the end of WW2) - we still haven't built up a "herd immunity" to the virus. New strains of the type A can cause pandemics (as happened in 2009). It seems the type B and C variants aren't as severe and the type D variant is only found in cows. For now.

(Keep in mind that coronaviruses have been around for a long, long time but up until the outbreak in 2019, they were only found in animals and before covid-19, they couldn't be transmitted to humans. One more reason why this was probably developed in a lab, using animals as hosts).

I suspect that "covid" will be with us for a very long time. I also suspect that the vaccines will be similar to the influenza vaccines, with new "jabs" being needed each year to combat the strain that appears to be the most prevalent in whatever area you are in. Just like they do with the flu shots every year.

And like the flu shots, some people will get them and still get sick. Some people won't get them and won't get sick.

The big difference will be that the overall mortality rate from covid will surpass that of the influenza virus, vaccine or no vaccine.

(Note: all the information above was quoted/copied from sources on the net including Hopkins Medical center, Wikipedia and the WHO.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I was comparing Covid to flu, not Ebola to flu. As you say, it's of course possible that Covid will mutate, just as flu does, and that we'll have to get vaccinated for it every year, as is the case with flu. This also means that 'zero covid' policies are impractical, and that we'll have to live with Covid in the same way we have to live with flu.

Covid is already mutating Sir, that's why we have all of the different variants in all of the countries.  This has been found by genomic testing, so sorry to burst your bubble about it possibly mutating as it has and will continue to, just like your flu synopsis, but the flu is no comparison to this virus so please stay on topic with Covid.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:25 AM, Oldie said:

"What the buyer will use it for is the least of your concerns, and since short time rooms are a profitable business, I bet you have had offers to sell at a profit." 

It is very easy to buy something but it is not always easy to sell it. Pattaya has endless empty rooms and a lot of empty space to build even more empty rooms. I rented very long and when my last rented condo was sold I bought one. I am old and didn't want to move again. I moved so many times in my life. My idea was that before I die I wanted to have my own paradise with my own furniture and TV and other things I like. But sadly it didn't work out. Ten years ago I would not have cared too much. I liked to stay in hotels and rented rooms to be flexible and have no obligations. But now I am old and not the same anymore.

I feel for you mate.  Its easy to criticise, but we do change a great deal as we get older.  Fortunately, Mrs P has been a calming influence on my more esoteric flights of fancy and the decision to buy a house where we now live ( rural, but close to the City) was the best decision we could have made.  Quiet is what you need most as you get older, not busy cities. Unfortunately, many don't find that out until they have bought an over priced condo in a City in their 40s/50s and then wish they hadn't in their 60s/70s. 

21 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Explain the differences in outcome between covid and some of history's more virulent strains of flu then, and you might pop your own bubble in doing so. Spanish flu, for example, was much nastier than Covid, picking off the young and strong working people as it did, who were unable to isolate themselves in the way that those vulnerable to covid are able to do.

Do you not know any history? Try to look at this objectively, rather than through media hysteria, and try not to panic. We'll have to live with Covid, and we'll get a level of protection from regular vaccine shots, or inclusion of covid vaccine into flu shots that many of us already have yearly.

Prior historical events are just that historical.  Those events also occurred well prior to current medical advances learned from the past history. So please stop trying to compare now with then.  Stay in the game of Covid and not Spanish flu as it has no bearing on today.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Prior events are historical? That's a really daft and obvious thing to say. Are you serious?

Now explain what medical advances make this respiratory infection different from any other. I'll give you a clue - it's a virus, so were the ones prior. It infects your respiratory system, do did the ones prior. It can kill you, so could the ones prior. A vaccine has been developed, unlike Spanish flu which DIDN'T have a vaccine.

By your own reasoning (recent advances in medicine), and by these amazing medical advancements (there's a vaccine for this one), we're all a lot safer now and should therefore avoid knee jerk media hysteria (which is also a lot more advanced). So why are we putting life on hold, still?

You just don't get it do you.  If this was then more would be dead if not for the medical technology used today to save people and create vaccines. Try again, that is why historical events shape today's response, which unfortunately is abhorrent because folks don't want to listen to science or governments like Thailands are not spending money to care for the majority. Enjoy your view, sorry to disagree with you but I do.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2