Chonburi orders all entertainment venues to close

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Out of the world population not that many fly, and that's a tightly controlled activity. Not a very good comparison.

Global population for sure, but not for the Western nations.

https://www.airlines.org/news/air-travel-more-accessible-in-2017-according-to-latest-air-travelers-in-america-report/

In 2017, 48 percent of Americans flew on an airline and 88 percent had taken a commercial flight in their lifetime, according to the Air Travelers in America report, conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs. Comparatively, in 1977, just 25 percent of Americans had taken a flight that year and only 63 percent had flown in their lifetime.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are assuming there will be a "normal" again, in our lifetimes.

And you are assuming all of our 'rights' are intact in these times of pandemic. That does not appear to be the case, even in our Western societies. Inalienable they are not. Suspended (temporarily) I like to believe. 

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What about those that the vaccine does not work on?

BTW, it's not necessary to vaccinate everyone to reach herd immunity. Are not those that were infected already immune? That's how it normally works with infections. I got measles as a child so I'm immune- no vaccine necessary.

No easy answers.  But vaccine passports look like they will become widespread.  I'm not 100% in favor of it, but we're in tough times. 

I think it's near 80% that need to be jabbed to achieve herd immunity?  Or somewhere near that.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

What about those that the vaccine does not work on?

BTW, it's not necessary to vaccinate everyone to reach herd immunity. Are not those that were infected already immune? That's how it normally works with infections. I got measles as a child so I'm immune- no vaccine necessary.

I had measles as a small child and subsequently received the vaccine.

My son in law contracted Covid in October, received the vaccine in January. My daughter also contracted Covid at the same time but was unable to receive the vaccine in January as she is pregnant. She was tested for antibodies and found to have a good level of protection but still intends to have the vaccine once the baby is born.

Having had Covid normally protects you from re-acquiring it. However the vaccine affords you a much better level of immunity.

Edited by polpott
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That would be against every human right enacted in law by western countries, IMO. If that's what any want I suggest they go live in China.

Your seeing some John Wayne stereotype.

The USA in particular is rife with laws that protect others. It's so bad now that you can't even talk on the phone while driving.

While an individual will not be jailed or held down and vaccinated, services and opportunities will be cut off until you come around.

To give one small example, children must be vaccinated for a bunch of things before enrolling in school. No reason why Covid will not be on the list. It becomes the new normal, don't get it, your an outcast and good luck with home schooling.

Another example is TB tests. Had to get tested for that at many jobs. Not optional, required.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, but they ain't inventing a completely new vaccine from scratch every year. It's just modified for the new strain of flu.

We might be in luck with these new mRNA jabs.  Just a tweek here and there and it will work with variants.  High tech science for sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:52 AM, DerbyDan said:

Those who are one man islands who can infect others will be isolated, and those who are vaccinated and part of a society as a whole will be out and about.

Where would you get the vaccine?

None available in Thailand, as far as I know.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:30 AM, Ralf001 said:

You walk everywhere ?

How many hours did it take to get from the airport to Pattaya ?

555! Of course I use transportation. The OP said that closing all commerce/businesses might actually be worse than the potential of saving a few lives. Then he got slammed for saying it. I’m trying to make a point that we make sacrifices that better our lives but also put us at more risk. That’s just how it is. Of course we all use cars and other means of transportation. We also use commerce. We just have to weigh the risk/rewards of what we choose. I could argue that commerce is more of a necessity than vehicles. Are vehicles really a necessity of life? I still don’t believe so (look at people in tribes, etc that have never been in a vehicle) but I choose to use them. 

4 minutes ago, rcuthbert said:

A big concern is the vaccination of those who have fought off the Covid Virus. If the consequent anti bodies were in my system, then I would need assurances - based upon scientific studies - that the vaccine would not attack them.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

• Like 1

Just now, rcuthbert said:

A big concern is the vaccination of those who have fought off the Covid Virus. If the consequent anti bodies were in my system, then I would need assurances - based upon scientific studies - that the vaccine would not attack them.

Son in law, hospital consultant in the UK, contracted Covid in October. Had the vaccine in January. Normal practice, people are advised to have the vaccine even if they have recovered from Covid.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, polpott said:

Son in law, hospital consultant in the UK, contracted Covid in October. Had the vaccine in January. Normal practice, people are advised to have the vaccine even if they have recovered from Covid.

Many many examples of that.... Boris and Prince Charles in the UK. Previously infected (in the case of Boris critically ill), and have gone on to get injected. A previous poster offered up the best explanation, the injection antibodies are a better known commodity for protection. A UK pal told me that he has had 2 doses of Pfizer, but will have to have a third, and even annual boosters. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, Sammyinla said:

Are vehicles really a necessity of life? I still don’t believe so (look at people in tribes, etc that have never been in a vehicle) but I choose to use them. 

would you really like to go back to 17th century when the only land transport was by horse or bullock etc? I would NOT.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No evidence whatsoever that covid is causing the suicides and the fact that The Philippines which has a far worse covid problem than Thailand but very low suicides speaks against your proposition.

The Philippines is mainly Catholic, and suicide is against their religion, so that's not a good exampleto use.

Anyway, corona doesn't cause suicides- IMO that's down to lockdowns destroying employment and businesses.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Philippines is mainly Catholic, and suicide is against their religion, so that's not a good exampleto use.

Anyway, corona doesn't cause suicides- that's down to lockdowns destroying employment and businesses.

And we're in a lockdown again because of a few violating the safety standards.  Otherwise, we'd be OK.  And businesses would still be up and running.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, corona doesn't cause suicides- IMO that's down to lockdowns destroying employment and businesses.

What a  load of garbage.

Corona doesn't cause suicides but it causes lock downs so it's the indirect cause.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Corona doesn't cause lockdowns- politicians do.

Without the virus, we wouldn't have lockdowns.  Which has been implemented in one way or another in pretty much every country around the world.  With the exception of Brazil.  Which is in an awful mess right now.

Edit: and these lockdowns are done due to the recommendations of scientists.

Edited by Jeffr2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Without the virus, we wouldn't have lockdowns.  Which has been implemented in one way or another in pretty much every country around the world.  With the exception of Brazil.  Which is in an awful mess right now.

I'm not saying it wasn't the reason for lockdowns, but the virus didn't speak- politicians made the CHOICE to impose lockdowns.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying it wasn't the reason for lockdowns, but the virus didn't speak- politicians made the CHOICE to impose lockdowns.

Scientists made the decisions.  Politicians implemented them.  With the exception of countries like Brazil.  And the US, initially due to Trump.

Edited by Jeffr2