Here are the provinces requiring travellers from Bangkok and other ‘high risk’ areas to quarantine

snoop1130

I live in Phuket and my wife normally visits her home town Khon Khaen over Songkran each year, its not for me I prefer to stay in Phuket. Last year of course her trip was cancelled because of the virus. A few weeks ago it was all planned for her to go but she since decided to cancel because of this. Just the traveling to get there, taxi, flights, bus and associated crowded environments, then not knowing what the situation is going to be like when its time to return. Just not worth the risk for her and I fully agree.

She's had her first dose of vaccine but this Sinovac stuff is not supposed to be up to much against the UK variant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SGD said:

But they are right, it is a waste of time quarantining people forever.

Open all up, take it on the chin, life moves on.

So the spread of the virus is ok?  I might get the virus and die and your ok with that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Best of luck Phuket... 

I canceled my trip south...

Last night was like ghost town at 7-30 pm I went to Homepro on the way back home we stopped at a noodle shop thats usually always busy in the evenings, it was dead, the owner said he'd been quiet all evening

170058792_10159913399951874_8913441186909052911_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The key words are now " area " and not " countries "?  I never travel this time of the year anyway if I did the choice I guess would be death by the virus or death by road accident. ????

Good point , far greater chance of death on the roads .

10 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I do believe that there are medical experts advising the national government, but I don't believe that there are teams of highly skilled epidemiologists and virologists in places like Buriram and Beung Kan providing hard-hitting advice to the governors. At the provincial level, the restrictions do indeed appear to be mostly political posturing.

I'm not sure there is political posturing, maybe a touch but to me its also basic common sense, you want to keep the virus out, close the borders for Songkran, if not take the gamble for potential serious lockdowns later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not sure there is political posturing, maybe a touch but to me its also basic common sense, you want to keep the virus out, close the borders for Songkran, if not take the gamble for potential serious lockdowns later.

More common sense.  They know their hospitals will be over run.  Ever been in a provincial hospital?  It's close to mayhem during normal times! LOL

• Like 2

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

More common sense.  They know their hospitals will be over run.  Ever been in a provincial hospital?  It's close to mayhem during normal times! LOL

I think the last place you want to be in is a government hospital

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why unenforceable?  During the last wave, you couldn't get onto Phuket.  It was blocked.  And the highways down there all had massive road blocks.  There were many.  Stopping all cars from out of the province, taking temps, and in some cases, turning you back.  We were there just after it opened up and saw the many highway checkpoints.

And you think this is good???

• Like 1

Is it not nice that the Ministry of Public Health and the Big Wig himself are sooooo much in control of everything? Reading the below, you wonder what the "*ç% is going on.
On second thought it is clear though; the Minister is busy with the expansion plans of Swampi airport for his construction company which built the initial airport already. Hence he should be disturbed in streamlining a government policy on the issue ...

Just a few examples to explain, how this country and its leadership work - in the interest of its people ..........

While each province has its own rules and regulations for travellers, the Thai government has issued guidelines on which provinces are requiring travellers from high risk areas.

Earlier, it had been reported that Korat required travellers from high risk areas to quarantine. But officials later cited this as a misunderstanding. 

In Phuket, officials have said quarantine is not needed for arrivals from high risk areas.

In Surat Thani, quarantine is not required but people entering the province need to scan in the ‘Save Surat’ QR code.

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think the last place you want to be in is a government hospital

What is the problem if there is hardly anyone there?  I have been regularly attending a government hospital all through the pandemic and it has been like a ghost town. On one visit I counted less than 30 in the waiting room and some of them were with patients, almost as many staff as patients. Next visit on 20th will be a long one, blood test, dermatology and cardiology, so hoping numbers remain low.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

But, but, but, I wanted to go to Hua Hin on the 19th from Bangkok, Oh well, guess I can not honor that hotel reservation, glad I did not have to pay for it until arrival through Booking.com.  Feel sorry for the businesses really, But just because I come from Bangkok does not mean I am infected, or will be since I am now self isolating after returning from Chiang Mai this morning.

And your point is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Last night was like ghost town at 7-30 pm I went to Homepro on the way back home we stopped at a noodle shop thats usually always busy in the evenings, it was dead, the owner said he'd been quiet all evening

170058792_10159913399951874_8913441186909052911_n.jpg

Yes. People  have returned to the provinces.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If that was true they could take far more effective action than they have, although the national government would most likely have to be involved.  When someone posts examples of people being forcibly made to quarantine, or turned away from a provincial village/town/city, I might believe that it's not just a political gesture.

Because of high levels of cooperation and fear of authority you tend not to see such things but there is enforcement. Just because you don't see the Australian, Chinese, British styles of police action does not mean restrictions are not carried out. Last year local people informed the police of people moving into their area. Last year the army and police did chase up people who refused  to quarantine on arrival. Last  year bar closures and curfews were applied seriously. When and if travel restrictions are finally decided they will be enforced with the less violence the better.

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Part sarcasm and part not understanding how they will enforce such a rule, while also being sad for the business owners and workers.

That was my thoughts driving along the beach road in Rawai the poor staff the chance to earn some money over the busiest time of the year has been wiped out,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Because of high levels of cooperation and fear of authority you tend not to see such things but there is enforcement. Just because you don't see the Australian, Chinese, British styles of police action does not mean restrictions are not carried out. Last year local people informed the police of people moving into their area. Last year the army and police did chase up people who refused  to quarantine on arrival. Last  year bar closures and curfews were applied seriously. When and if travel restrictions are finally decided they will be enforced with the less violence the better.

Better  tell the numpties at Tesco today then, mask under noses etc, yep the ones standing by the door  insisting  you do the temp check, ridiculous, same with 7-11  staff.

32 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

No easy answers here.  No silver bullets.  If you look at it from controlling the virus point of view.  It worked great.  If you look at it from a business point of view, many were badly hurt.  Of course the alternative of a raging virus would have probably been worse.

Interesting reads:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/business/economy/economy-coronavirus-lockdown-iowa.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-distancing-deaths.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200520&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=80027960&segment_id=28630&user_id=1298cdda864738dcf5f5cb52747197da

No  minds couldn't care  less.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes, but my comments were in regard to the travel restrictions already announced by some rogue Governors, but which are not being nationally applied.

13 hours ago, Whale said:

I think this whole idea of leaving it to the provincial governors to decide the measures is bombastic. So confusing that it never gets followed anyway. 

Not bombastic, but cowardly.  So if it all goes wrong the Government will blame the Provisional Govenors.  This also allows the Government to say to "BIg Business", we relaxed the rules, so you need to grease the wheels of your Provisional Govenor.  Helps to spread responsibility (interpret that as you will) around the Country.

• Like 1