Here are the provinces requiring travellers from Bangkok and other ‘high risk’ areas to quarantine

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

That's the old and tired "they died with Covid, not from Covid".  That argument ignores real life, where people can live many years with chronic illnesses. 

Let me ask you this: if someone had simply machine gunned those people with chronic illnesses, would you be inclined to give them a pass? 

Very good point

17 hours ago, thecyclist said:

They closed all the bars and pubs in sin city. Who wants to go to a ghost town, other than the Ghostbusters maybe? 

Fair enough if you're only interested in drinking, but bars are also closed in most other provinces.  Pattaya has other attractions, and as it's only a 2 hour drive from Bangkok, is still an ideal getaway for a few days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Fair enough if you're only interested in drinking, but bars are also closed in most other provinces.  Pattaya has other attractions, and as it's only a 2 hour drive from Bangkok, is still an ideal getaway for a few days.

Pattaya is very busy every weekend with visitors from Bangkok.  Perhaps not Walking Street or other areas like that.  But busy elsewhere.  Especially heading south to Bang Saray.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Someone has lied to you. 

The fatality rate is much higher, and a significant fraction of survivors suffer long term symptoms. 

More to the point, what is your motivation to downplay this epidemic? How does it help anyone? 

Yes...higher. So what? Let's look at cold hard reality. Simple math from World-o-meter shows mortality rate of 2.16%. Global population approx 7.8 billion would = approx 234 million deaths...many/most very old and infirm. A drop in the proverbial bucket. 

The elderly, sick, those with underlying conditions, obese, the afraid, etc, of course should take any and all precautions which make themselves feel safe. Lock themselves away, shutter businesses, lose jobs. While the remaining 90% of the world should be able to carry on living.

We're all dying anyway, from the moment we are born. Life is short. My preference is to live life...not let life (and government) live me. People should be free to make their own choices and decisions. Every death is a family tragedy...not national and international news. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes...higher. So what? Let's look at cold hard reality. Simple math from World-o-meter shows mortality rate of 2.16%. Global population approx 7.8 billion would = approx 234 million deaths...many/most very old and infirm. A drop in the proverbial bucket. 

The elderly, sick, those with underlying conditions, obese, the afraid, etc, of course should take any and all precautions which make themselves feel safe. Lock themselves away, shutter businesses, lose jobs. While the remaining 90% of the world should be able to carry on living.

We're all dying anyway, from the moment we are born. Life is short. My preference is to live life...not let life (and government) live me. People should be free to make their own choices and decisions. Every death is a family tragedy...not national and international news. 

With respect, not sure I'd put a lot of faith in world-o-meter:

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2020/05/world/worldometer-coronavirus-mystery/

It’s not clear whether the company has paid staff vetting its data for accuracy or whether it relies solely on automation and crowdsourcing. The site does have at least one job posting, from October, seeking a volunteer web developer.

Once known as Worldometers, the website was originally created in 2004 by Andrey Alimetov, then a 20-year-old recent immigrant from Russia who had just gotten his first IT job in New York.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

You would make a great defense attorney....

”Your Honor, yes, it’s true that my client murdered someone, but, as you know, everyone dies sometime. We’re all dying anyway. So, no need to find my client guilty”.

I don’t think I have ever run across anyone who could rationalize 234 million deaths so they don’t have to wear a face mask. Even Jair Bolsonario would be shocked if his actions in Brazil led to a million deaths. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You would make a great defense attorney....

”Your Honor, yes, it’s true that my client murdered someone, but, as you know, everyone dies sometime. We’re all dying anyway. So, no need to find my client guilty”.

I don’t think I have ever run across anyone who could rationalize 234 million deaths so they don’t have to wear a face mask. Even Jair Bolsonario would be shocked if his actions in Brazil led to a million deaths. 

Nice deflection and strawman while missing the point completely. 

To clarify...did not say, nor intend to imply, that face masks are a problem. I wear them when and where required without question. Also forgot to mention that I rounded the mortality rate up to 3%. 2.16% is much lower, of course. 

However, shutting down the world...banning travel, shuttering businesses, job loss by those whom want/need to work, quarantining the healthy, wreaking havoc on economies, currencies and governments...and on and on are extreme overreactions. Let science and modern medicine do their jobs and figure it, while letting those whom want to...continue living. 

Life is dangerous and risky, pandemic or not. No guarantees. Every day is special...but also a challenge and a fight for survival. Every single day. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Life is dangerous and risky, pandemic or not. No guarantees. Every day is special...but also a challenge and a fight for survival. Every single day. 

So are we still living in Caveman days with a statement like the one you made and which I quoted?.  Life has evolved and so has medicine.  To throw caution to the wind is appropriate but within certain measures, or would you rather have a true cataclysmic event where the world population was decimated like the dinosaurs because nothing was done to assist in preventing deaths which could be undertaken with the current level of science.  Good luck with being a person who see's this from a view that it is all a conspiracy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I'm just a realist...not a reality denier. Numbers are numbers and math is math. Also don't rely on things such as luck..and have never claimed that this disease is any sort of "conspiracy". Alhough the continuing overreaction to it round the world are quite extreme. That's all. 

Numbers are not fully known.  Not reported 100% accurately.  So hard to say math is math when the underlying data is dodgy.  Doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Pattaya is very busy every weekend with visitors from Bangkok.  Perhaps not Walking Street or other areas like that.  But busy elsewhere.  Especially heading south to Bang Saray.

Absolutely.  There are lots of good places to take kids as well, although I suspect they might not be open over Songkran.  Best of all, despite better beaches nearby, the main Pattaya beach has improved immeasurably.

• Like 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Absolutely.  There are lots of good places to take kids as well, although I suspect they might not be open over Songkran.  Best of all, despite better beaches nearby, the main Pattaya beach has improved immeasurably.

The places down near me are open.  Bacco Beach and Glass House.  Great places to enjoy the sea.  Weather permitting!!!! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

I'm just a realist...not a reality denier. Numbers are numbers and math is math. Also don't rely on things such as luck..and have never claimed that this disease is any sort of "conspiracy". Alhough the continuing overreaction to it round the world are quite extreme. That's all. 

Thank you for the clarity

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

That's the old and tired "they died with Covid, not from Covid".  That argument ignores real life, where people can live many years with chronic illnesses. 

Let me ask you this: if someone had simply machine gunned those people with chronic illnesses, would you be inclined to give them a pass? 

Machine gunned down and covid related deaths are not really comparable don't you think . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I wonder how many stopped reading when you said "cold hard reality". ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

....the main Pattaya beach has improved immeasurably.

Sounds good. What about the water quality if wanting a swim  -  any links (as opposed to opinions) available showing current bacterial/E.Coli count?

11 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Nice deflection and strawman while missing the point completely. 

To clarify...did not say, nor intend to imply, that face masks are a problem. I wear them when and where required without question. Also forgot to mention that I rounded the mortality rate up to 3%. 2.16% is much lower, of course. 

However, shutting down the world...banning travel, shuttering businesses, job loss by those whom want/need to work, quarantining the healthy, wreaking havoc on economies, currencies and governments...and on and on are extreme overreactions. Let science and modern medicine do their jobs and figure it, while letting those whom want to...continue living. 

Science and modern medicine recommend the travel bans and shuttering businesses that you are railing about.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:24 AM, Danderman123 said:

Someone has lied to you. 

The fatality rate is much higher, and a significant fraction of survivors suffer long term symptoms. 

More to the point, what is your motivation to downplay this epidemic? How does it help anyone? 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

I rest my case. On another note, most statisticians claim that the known people that have tested positive is probably less than half of people that have actually caught the virus, weren't tested and have n o symtoms. That would make the survival rate closer to 99.9%