Thai Consul in UK is Opening

I posted a couple of months ago that the Thai Consul in London was closed due to covid and it was impossible for Thai people to do things such as renewing a passport. The Consul just let us know that they are re-opening and gave us a date in May when we can come to make a new Thai passport. So if you need any consular services best give them a ring to book an appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

I've had 2 Pfizer jabs, I read today that I can now go from UK to Thailand as of from 1st April with proof of the 2 vaccine jabs, the Thai news report today says I will only have to quarantine for 7 days ??

Also how do I get a COE application form if the embassy/Consolates in uk don't open until May, I am wanting to go 25th April.

Any advice please???

P.s I am over 75 yrs retired.

I think you have to contact them by email and get the list of requirements, insurance, flights, jabs etc. They will tell you the procedure or someone else on here will. There is a new outbreak of Covid in Thailand, so don’t know if that will change any rules. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Mac said:

Yea, thought the same thing. Why on earth at 75 plus would you leave the UK and come to live here?? Very strange indeed. But up to him of course..but good luck!

PS: Your beefs with immigration, long queues, 90 day reports, treated like criminal, etc, is easily solved just by using an agent!

Yes your right, but too many people think that using an agent for certain things is illegal, and a newbie is going to think that also.

Not long after I came here, I was working as a school teacher with a work permit for a few years, when that finished I started using an agent, I thought it was illegal then but I didn't care, it suited me. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes your right, but too many people think that using an agent for certain things is illegal, and a newbie is going to think that also.

Not long after I came here, I was working as a school teacher with a work permit for a few years, when that finished I started using an agent, I thought it was illegal then but I didn't care, it suited me. 

Sure.

I turned 50 last year and went onto a retirement, didn't hesitate to use an agent. Don't have to lift a finger, and is worth every penny IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:
39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Live in a country ruled by an unelected army general as a PM? Have you any idea of what it is like over here? Long queues at the Immigration offices unless you are planning to live away from the tourist places. Immigration issues that have had lots of expats leaving even before this pandemic. Also don't forget you will be treated like a criminal having to report to immigration every 90 days. I would strongly advise you to think again. 

I have lived here for 15 years, and it is only the love of my wife and her family that have kept me here.

Yea, thought the same thing. Why on earth at 75 plus would you leave the UK and come to live here?? Very strange indeed. But up to him of course..but good luck!

PS: Your beefs with immigration, long queues, 90 day reports, treated like criminal, etc, is easily solved just by using an agent!

Or, if it is all simply too much of a challenge and one has such a revulsion for un-elected heads of government, @possum1931 could just truck on out of here, no? This love of wife and family, although genuine, is almost a footnote in his comment.

Meanwhile, back on topic, the Royal Thai Embassy London's website has all the information and all the links the OP needs to get all his traveling boxes checked, visa, vaccinations, tests, ASQ booking and insurance. Everyting can be done online and via email. This forum is full of posts about how easy it is to enter or re-enter Thailand.

Hurry up, it nice and quiet over here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ray richards said:

Hi.

I've had 2 Pfizer jabs, I read today that I can now go from UK to Thailand as of from 1st April with proof of the 2 vaccine jabs, the Thai news report today says I will only have to quarantine for 7 days ??

Also how do I get a COE application form if the embassy/Consolates in uk don't open until May, I am wanting to go 25th April.

Any advice please???

You also have to take into account that the UK gov. have placed legal restrictions on leaving the UK.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-22/ban-on-leaving-uk-without-reasonable-excuse-included-in-new-covid-laws-in-force-next-week

Good luck. Despite what some other may post ( and I accept their opinion) I'd rather be here than back in the UK during these unprecedented times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Mac said:

Sure.

I turned 50 last year and went onto a retirement, didn't hesitate to use an agent. Don't have to lift a finger, and is worth every penny IMO.

Although if you have met all the requirements and have a reasonable immigration office (like Korat) it took me 20 minutes and 1900 baht . Agent?... 15 - 20k baht ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

You also have to take into account that the UK gov. have placed legal restrictions on leaving the UK.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-22/ban-on-leaving-uk-without-reasonable-excuse-included-in-new-covid-laws-in-force-next-week

Good luck. Despite what some other may post ( and I accept their opinion) I'd rather be here than back in the UK during these unprecedented times.

I too would rather be here than in the UK, but, given a free hand, I would rather be in other places than in Thailand. But I agree that its not too shabby here, just very frustrating at times. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I too would rather be here than in the UK, but, given a free hand, I would rather be in other places than in Thailand. But I agree that its not too shabby here, just very frustrating at times. 

You have changed your tune a bit, I thought here was your utopia??

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Mac said:

You have changed your tune a bit, I thought here was your utopia??

I have never said that.  I have said several times that I am as happy here as I would be anywhere else, but that is in the context of having a Thai wife and family.  As I have also said a few times on TVF, had I not had those lovely people I my life, I would not be here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I have never said that.  I have said several times that I am as happy here as I would be anywhere else, but that is in the context of having a Thai wife and family.  As I have also said a few times on TVF, had I not had those lovely people I my life, I would not be here. 

too true,my couple of mutts keep me here. Before Brexit  became an issue Spain was my destination,take 'em with me,but Spain visa issues are apparent too.

Cheap housing,give away prices,renting too,tempting to just wade in,what prices you see now will be half that in few years to come,Facebook swamped with the stuff  "highly motivated seller" is what you will see more and more of,  blight is in the offering,high rise condos impossible to sell,abandon them,just like Spain,going to rot and ruin eventually  There is an ad doing the rounds at the moment"sell your house abroad and get bigger payout" Thai woman jumping in the air at the absolute joy of it..ludicrous.  .seller instantly  came on of house he wants shut of,utterly hilarious.........That is misery plus, wanting out and house to get shut of..here for life

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

If @ray richards still intends to go ahead with a move to Thailand, I would definitely advise him to renew his passport in the UK first (regardless of its expiry date), so as to enable him to put off having to cope with the rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience (which necessitates 2 physical trips to an office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai) for as long as humanly possible.

Presumably he is aware that his UK State Pension will be permanently frozen at the rate he was obtaining immediately prior to his move? What he might not know, though, is that DWP will add insult to injury by requiring him to provide a suitably-witnessed Life Certificate every couple of years or so in a cumbersomely bureaucratic manner. Failure to comply with this requirement within a prescribed period will result in the immediate suspension of his State Pension payments.

Edited by OJAS

Thanks Guys for all your replies.

Where I live in uk it's all crime related with drugs, stabbings, even shootings so some of you haven't been back for a long time?

I've got a great long term genuine loving relationship of 10 years over in Thailand with my girlfriend who is 50 yrs old.

I would use an agent to get through the immigration paperwork to live there probably in Korat.

I'm very lonely on my own in uk & I would maybe have just 5 years left to live if I'm lucky & dodge getting stabbed but I maybe live more happy for 10 years in Korat with my beautiful girlfriend & her family.

So it will really be a no brainer to pack up in uk or I suppose I could consider having 6 months in each country.???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray richards said:

Thanks Guys for all your replies.

Where I live in uk it's all crime related with drugs, stabbings, even shootings so some of you haven't been back for a long time?

I've got a great long term genuine loving relationship of 10 years over in Thailand with my girlfriend who is 50 yrs old.

I would use an agent to get through the immigration paperwork to live there probably in Korat.

I'm very lonely on my own in uk & I would maybe have just 5 years left to live if I'm lucky & dodge getting stabbed but I maybe live more happy for 10 years in Korat with my beautiful girlfriend & her family.

So it will really be a no brainer to pack up in uk or I suppose I could consider having 6 months in each country.???

sounds about right,do not give information that is not required,it will cost you

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If @ray richards still intends to go ahead with a move to Thailand, I would definitely advise him to renew his passport in the UK first (regardless of its expiry date), so as to enable him to put off having to cope with the rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience (which necessitates 2 physical trips to an office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai) for as long as humanly possible.

Presumably he is aware that his UK State Pension will be permanently frozen at the rate he was obtaining immediately prior to his move? What he might not know, though, is that DWP will add insult to injury by requiring him to provide a suitably-witnessed Life Certificate every couple of years or so in a cumbersomely bureaucratic manner. Failure to do this within a prescribed period will result in the immediate suspension of his State Pension payments.

You are not allowed to renew your PP like that, and maybe he will keep an address in the UK so to get the pension increases. That aside, good post ????

2 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

You are not allowed to renew your PP like that, and maybe he will keep an address in the UK so to get the pension increases. That aside, good post ????

I was actually suggesting that he renews his passport before he departs UK shores.

• Like 1

Also going out to meet a friend in the pub here is a thing of the past, it's not safe to venture out after dark here so people now of 60 yrs up are totally shut away in our homes where as where we mostly stay away from Korat in Jomtien Beach I can safely walk out to my local bar on my own at 11.30 pm with no problem.

So the main issues to me remaining in uk are. Un safe, lonleyness, & most important Bloody freezing weather for 5 months of a year.

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I was actually suggesting that he renews his passport before he departs UK shores.

Jeez. I know that!! I am saying that one cannot renew a British PP unless it is either out of date, or close to it, or there are no more pages left.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

I am saying that one cannot renew a British PP unless it is either out of date, or close to it, or there are no more pages left.

I'm not sure that's true (but happy to be proved wrong), however lost, stolen or damaged passports can be replaced (not renewed) and it's not difficult to put one in the washing machine or dog's mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Presumably he is aware that his UK State Pension will be permanently frozen at the rate he was obtaining immediately prior to his move? What he might not know, though, is that DWP will add insult to injury by requiring him to provide a suitably-witnessed Life Certificate every couple of years or so in a cumbersomely bureaucratic manner. Failure to comply with this requirement within a prescribed period will result in the immediate suspension of his State Pension payments.

Passports easy to renew. No need to go to Bangkok. You can nominate another person to do it for you. Not that a trip to Bangkok twice in 10 years is much to worry about.

Nothing bureaucratic about the life certificates. Long list of occupations that can sign on your behalf, including expats who have previously held those occupations. Receive it, get it signed and return it. Just a trip to the post office.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ray richards said:

Hi.

Any advice please???

The following link sets out the current requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand (although, as already said, the UK government has prohibited all travel to foreign parts at the present time):-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

In your case these requirements will include a non-immigrant visa as described in this second link:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

My advice is that in due course you apply a non-O visa for retirement on the grounds of being in receipt of the State Pension (which I assume that you are). A particular drawback with the non-OA visa (normally the one issued to retirees) is that it is conditional upon a mandatory health insurance requirement which, by virtue of your age, you are, unfortunately, unlikely to be able to comply with. 

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Jeez. I know that!! I am saying that one cannot renew a British PP unless it is either out of date, or close to it, or there are no more pages left.

So what is your source for this particular assertion, please? Certainly not the following GOV.UK link unless it has been stated therein in invisible typescript!

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

Edited by OJAS