Thai Consul in UK is Opening

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So what is your source for this particular assertion, please? Certainly not the following GOV.UK link unless it has been included therein in invisible typescript!

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

And where does it say in the link that you can renew your PP just because you fancy it??

Look if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up, it's hardly a big deal is it, but where does it say that?

2 hours ago, treetops said:

I'm not sure that's true (but happy to be proved wrong), however lost, stolen or damaged passports can be replaced (not renewed) and it's not difficult to put one in the washing machine or dog's mouth.

You are not sure it's true based on what? As i said I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can renew your PP unless it's either expired or out of pages?

15 hours ago, ray richards said:

Hi.

I've had 2 Pfizer jabs, I read today that I can now go from UK to Thailand as of from 1st April with proof of the 2 vaccine jabs, the Thai news report today says I will only have to quarantine for 7 days ??

Also how do I get a COE application form if the embassy/Consolates in uk don't open until May, I am wanting to go 25th April.

Any advice please???

P.s I am over 75 yrs retired.

Important , what type of visa do you have cos a tourist visa will not be viable or maybe not acceptable by the UK gov under the latest rules for leaving the UK .  Biggest problem for your age group is your health because it is difficult to buy health insurance from a reliable company at a reasonable cost . You will have to give an acceptable reason for leaving the UK ( I think marriage is OK but proof of a long term relationship may be needed ) .  A one way air ticket along with info from the UK Pension that confirms your pension will be frozen as you have will no longer be a UK resident may qualify to allow your departure .    The posts that criticize you leaving the UK because of your age are foundless because you are trying to improve your living standards and to be with a loved one and who knows I hope you outlive some of these snipers and do a Prince Phillip and get to 99 years old or more .  Good luck and I hope it works out well for you , please keep us updated .

3 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Jeez. I know that!! I am saying that one cannot renew a British PP unless it is either out of date, or close to it, or there are no more pages left.

I wasn’t aware of that, thank you very much for clarifying.

I always thought you could renew a passport at any time, I’ve certainly renewed a passport early and not been subject to the restrictions you quote.

Maybe you could provide the source of that condition, I’m sure many of us would find it helpful.

• Like 2

Thanks to Superal & others, most appear to understand my reasons to get out of uk.

I've probably left it too late to make the move to Thailand permanently because of state pension red tape & health insurance is available at my age for what I can afford is a max of 180 days so based on your advice I will go when I can go & stay 90 + days non o visa & get the quality time to spend with my beloved thai lady.

Regarding the passport discussion, I already got a new one 1 month ago so I'm set & ready to go when I'm allowed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Jeez. I know that!! I am saying that one cannot renew a British PP unless it is either out of date, or close to it, or there are no more pages left.

lose  i did (not)  but same price,saves paperwork too

On 4/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, OJAS said:

My advice is that in due course you apply a non-O visa for retirement on the grounds of being in receipt of the State Pension (which I assume that you are). A particular drawback with the non-OA visa (normally the one issued to retirees) is that it is conditional upon a mandatory health insurance requirement which, by virtue of your age, you are, unfortunately, unlikely to be able to comply with.

The insurance is also required to get a COE with an "O" visa (see section 7 in your first link).  The OP may be better off entering visa exempt and extending or changing once in Thailand.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, Johnny Mac said:

You are not sure it's true based on what? As i said I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can renew your PP unless it's either expired or out of pages?

I recalled reading of people renewing because they disliked the photo.  This article seems to back that up.

https://www.paspic.com/blog/can-you-change-your-existing-passport-photo/

And this article categorically says you can renew at any time.

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/blog/travel-advice/passport-post-youd-better-hope/