1 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine arrived in Thailand this morning

anchadian

Anutin Charnwirakul, the Minister of Public Health, posted on his Facebook that 1 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine arrived in Thailand this morning and will be distributed to the people as soon as possible #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

Max capacity seems to be 14k shots per day.  Do the math.

As to the vaccine itself recent reports it is a hard sell to even get people to use in China.  No real data.

Other Chinese vaccine now starting to give 3 shots as has not been very effective with 2.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Max capacity seems to be 14k shots per day.  Do the math.

As to the vaccine itself recent reports it is a hard sell to even get people to use in China.  No real data.

Other Chinese vaccine now starting to give 3 shots as has not been very effective with 2.  

I seem to recall reading that the 14k shots per day was related to the current Phuket vaccination drive based on them being near the head of the queue in receiving the initial supplies. Could be wrong.......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dabhand said:

I seem to recall reading that the 14k shots per day was related to the current Phuket vaccination drive based on them being near the head of the queue in receiving the initial supplies. Could be wrong.......

It is average I believe but the quote seems to have been from  the Minister of Public Health that it is capacity.  At any rate only about 400k have had first shot to date and from recent reports of medical people being tested covid positive not sure how effective it is (no data peer reviewed from my understanding).  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rodknock said:

distributed to what people?

is it a million vials or a million jabs divide by 2

Lots of Thais in Samui got their first Sinovac jab and have appointments for a second one,  so I guess some will be distributed here.

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It is average I believe but the quote seems to have been from  the Minister of Public Health that it is capacity.  At any rate only about 400k have had first shot to date and from recent reports of medical people being tested covid positive not sure how effective it is (no data peer reviewed from my understanding).  

There's a common and understandable misconception going around about what efficcy and effectiveness means in relation to vaccines.  What efficacy refers to is what percentage of a control vaccinated group of people come down with symptoms vs what percentage of a similar control group unvaccinated people come down with symptoms. So if 20 people of the vaccinated group develop covid symptoms and 100 of the unvaccinated group do, that the vaccine is said to have an 80 percent efficacy. How well it performs in the general populations would be its effectiveness.

However, these 2 criteria refer to the develop of any symptoms. But the important issue is how well a vaccine prevents severe symptoms and death. After all, if Covid 19 only produced minor flulike symptoms, why would anyone care about it? And the fact is, that all of the major approved vaccine, including Sinovac are very close to preventing severe covid symptoms and death from occuring.

Take whatever COVID vaccine you can get. All of them stop death and hospitalization.

All seven COVID-19 vaccines that have completed large efficacy trials — Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V and Sinovac — appear to be 100% effective for serious complications. Not one vaccinated person has gotten sick enough to require hospitalization. Not a single vaccinated person has died of COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/02/12/all-covid-vaccines-stop-death-severe-illness-column/6709455002/

This article is a bit old, but there have been indications that the vaccines will protect against variants. For instance, those who were naturally infected with the earlier forms of the virus, seem to have immunity against the later more contagious and virulent forms. And naturally acquired immunity isn't usually as powerful as immunity acquired from a vaccine.

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V and Sinovac — appear to be 100% effective for serious complications.

Sinovac is not being used in elderly (where serious complications are much more likely) and the data on other use has not been properly verified (and no word on when or if it ever will be).   Any port in a storm is better than none I can agree with - but if this were not an emergency do not believe Sinovac would even be considered for use in population.   That can also be said of the others but at least there has been proper testing procedures followed (for the most part).

Just read today that the Sinovac vaccine has only a 50% (or less) effectiveness, even the Chinese authorities are admitting to that now. The maker originally claimed it had a 100% effectiviness, so that's quite a big difference.

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Just read today that the Sinovac vaccine has only a 50% (or less) effectiveness, even the Chinese authorities are admitting to that now. The maker originally claimed it had a 100% effectiviness, so that's quite a big difference.

As I noted a few posts above, effectiveness refers to any covid symptoms that develop after vaccination. But it has been very effective against the development  of severe symptoms and death.

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I have seen nothing anywhere about Sinovac's effectiveness being less than 50%. Can you share your source?

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sinovac should be stored at 2 to 8 degrees Celsius (36°-46°F).  "PM Prayut Chan-o-cha holds a vial during the welcoming ceremony for Sinovac vaccines at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Feb. 24, 2021."  How many vials did they spoil with this press release stunt?

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha holds a vial during the welcoming ceremony for Sinovac vaccines at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Feb. 24, 2021.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

I have seen nothing anywhere about Sinovac's effectiveness being less than 50%. Can you share your source?

I read it in a Dutch newspaper. I’d be happy to provide a link, but do you read Dutch? Anyway, Bkk Brian solved that by providing a couple of links. Thanks Brian

• Like 1

Is this for disposal?

China admits: “Our vaccines are ineffective.”  https://www.italy24news.com/covid-19/15395.html

Chile relied on Chinese vaccine and now it has serious increase in cases.

This failure of tragic proportion was going on while Chinese spread negative  rumors and false claims about western vaccines. Serious implictaions for Thailand because;

1. Thailand was planning on vaccinated china tourists to save its tourism segment and,

2. Thailand was relying on China vaccine

Some Thailand officials should be eating the dismissive insults about farangs because they assumed their best friend in China had magic vaccine. Now they must rely on farang provided Oxford Astra Zeneca recipe and must go stand in  line and ask for charity from EU and USA to access effective vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen and Novavax. Farang culture and farang science will save Thailand and the Chinese who despite their intense spying could not provide an effective vaccine will cause health crisis for Thailand. It would be funny if not so tragic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Sinovac should be stored at 2 to 8 degrees Celsius (36°-46°F).  "PM Prayut Chan-o-cha holds a vial during the welcoming ceremony for Sinovac vaccines at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Feb. 24, 2021."  How many vials did they spoil with this press release stunt?

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha holds a vial during the welcoming ceremony for Sinovac vaccines at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Feb. 24, 2021.

Most likely empty boxes, which was a sign of the effectiveness of the vaccine, yes?