Google Maps now displays COVID-19 infections in Hua Hin

webfact

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 07.52.15.png

Google Maps is now displaying the location of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Hua Hin.

Google Maps introduced its so-called ‘COVID layer’ feature last year in order to display local infection rates to users.

The feature informs users on how the virus is spreading locally so they can plan ahead before travelling to a location.

The feature details where infections are rising or declining by using a colour coded system with grey being the lowest and dark red signalling when there have been more than 40 local cases.

Google says it uses “multiple authoritative sources” to source the relevant information on the number of infections, understood to be official data from Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health.

The feature is part of Google’s effort to assist in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

“As global communities respond to COVID-19, we’ve heard from public health officials that the same type of aggregated, anonymized insights we use in products such as Google Maps could be helpful as they make critical decisions to combat COVID-19,” a spokesperson for the tech giant said when the feature launched last year.

“These Community Mobility Reports aim to provide insights into what has changed in response to policies aimed at combating COVID-19.

“The reports chart movement trends over time by geography, across different categories of places such as retail and recreation, groceries and pharmacies, parks, transit stations, workplaces, and residential.”

The news comes after 87 new COVID-19 infections were reported in Hua Hin on Friday.

People in Hua Hin can see the COVID-19 infections on Google Maps here

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-10

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed.  And much more sophisticated.

It's simpler and has only existed as a state for a few decades. Thailand is more complex. I suspect you just want to wedge in Thai bashing but in fact your suggestion could be applied to every nation in the world. I've never heard the the ink blot state on the world map called sophisticated! Except by patriotic Singaporeans non of whom could be regarded as sophisticated. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's simpler and has only existed as a state for a few decades. Thailand is more complex. I suspect you just want to wedge in Thai bashing but in fact your suggestion could be applied to every nation in the world. I've never heard the the ink blot state on the world map called sophisticated! Except by patriotic Singaporeans non of whom could be regarded as sophisticated. 

Singapore has only been around for a few decades? 20 or 30 years?  Really?

If you read my posts, you'll see I'm not a Thailand basher. Far from it.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

WRONG on all counts

You been denied entry into Singapore during your travels?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

WRONG on all counts

You been denied entry into Singapore during your travels?

It used to be one of ours old chap.  It's stability and viability as a nation, and an Island, city state owes a lot to its British heritage.  But a country where people are flogged and special police check to see you have flushed the toilet is not what I call sophisticated. In relation to recreational drug use and freedom its penal and judicial system is barbaric. Why would I be denied entry? I used to work for a Singaporean company or rather did business there on a venture in Burma.  I think you confuse modernity and wealth with sophistication. I remember  back in the 60s when the world was  rocking with counter cultural creativity Singapore  border police,  in acts of malice and fear, used to shave people's  heads if their hair was too long! The funny thing is after I moved on from the Burma Singapore project to Saudi I wrote to my ex emplyees describing my new boss, Abdullah as being 'similar to Mr Tan but more sophisticated'! I haven't been to Singapore since 96 and have no interest in returning except for big money. However, I would recommend it to people for a seven to ten day holiday if they were in the area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1