Songkran exodus as millions head home - but Thai media point to threat of virus spread

webfact

10 hours ago, Excel said:

I would add bubonic plaque to that also . You are correct part of natures rituals. The only blame that can be apportioned is upon those that deliberately ignore best practice in dealing with the issues.

which makes it likely that it will happen again sooner rather than later.  Pangolin stew, anyone?

4 hours ago, tgw said:

po-puh-lations of in-duh-vi-duh-als aren't exactly known for being clever... just look at France, UK...

they should have put in a gun-enforced inter-province lockdown as they did before, because this is a much more serious situation, but of course it all depends on how much more "the people" can swallow.

The capacity of populations to be smart is quantified by their average IQ. Thailand is about 10% less than the global mean, make of that what you will.

The amount that 'the people can swallow' is harder, but Thais have shown an almost unlimited preparedness to accept whatever excreta their government can shovel on to them.

It may be that the 2 things are related, but the Thai culture has been artfully moulded and shaped for centuries, particularly in the past 5 or so decades, thanks to the self-interested assistance of the USA. Comparisons with the cultures of European countries can be made, sort of, but only to a point.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

The amount that 'the people can swallow' is harder, but Thais have shown an almost unlimited preparedness to accept whatever excreta their government can shovel on to them.

Culturally ingrained to accept what they have to, and enjoy an easy easy life, with no problems, but maybe not financially.  Very few actually say anything out loud, and when they do rub up against issues they are charged with defamation or LM.  The laws on the books work against anyone who would question authority or make fun of something by calling an institution or group a name or imposing a moniker upon them, such as the one used on the 9th when Government house was called a club, and the Good General PM Prayut saying legal action would be brought against them for calling it such.  So in knowing this @ParkerN can you understand why it is what it is, and neither you, me or anyone else could ever change the mindset.  It is why one must embrace the Thai culture to understand it.  You yourself have made comments regarding those that embrace the culture and live the culture as such, and have even talked down in your posts about those that do, but in reality they much like myself have chosen to learn to live within the playing field in order to live here harmoniously and not place ourselves above everyone else with a bright orange target on our backs.  Talk is cheap, but can and will cause one hardships here, unlike the free speech enjoyed in many other countries.  Absorb what you can and ignore the rest but in the end take care.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vandeventer said:

No one has come clean and we really need them to do so. I know you think the CCP is behind this coverup and so so do I but the world needs proof and they need to know the whole story of what was behind this.

Why? Its here and we need to deal with it. Irrelevant where it originated.

• Sad 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Culturally ingrained to accept what they have to, and enjoy an easy easy life, with no problems, but maybe not financially.  Very few actually say anything out loud, and when they do rub up against issues they are charged with defamation or LM.  The laws on the books work against anyone who would question authority or make fun of something by calling an institution or group a name or imposing a moniker upon them, such as the one used on the 9th when Government house was called a club, and the Good General PM Prayut saying legal action would be brought against them for calling it such.  So in knowing this @ParkerN can you understand why it is what it is, and neither you, me or anyone else could ever change the mindset.  It is why one must embrace the Thai culture to understand it.  You yourself have made comments regarding those that embrace the culture and live the culture as such, and have even talked down in your posts about those that do, but in reality they much like myself have chosen to learn to live within the playing field in order to live here harmoniously and not place ourselves above everyone else with a bright orange target on our backs.  Talk is cheap, but can and will cause one hardships here, unlike the free speech enjoyed in many other countries.  Absorb what you can and ignore the rest but in the end take care.

Indeed I do, possibly for reasons other than you think, but that isn't really important. You're pretty much spot on though, when you say it can't be changed. It can. but only by using the direct opposite of the techniques the USA used in order to create or amend the culture in the first place. The keys here are twofold - firstly, a toxic and biased (without good reason - generated by propaganda only) culture. and secondly, a population which has been kept at an IQ level lower than the global mean, preferably in a tropical or sub-tropical climate, and in which the diet of the population includes large amounts of chillies (this last item may be surprising but there was research less than 20 years ago to the effect that a chiili-laden diet has affected the IQ of the population of Mexico).

The test of what else you write can only be applied over the long term. You are right in that I have little respect for people who abandon their own culture in favour of the a more primitive culture (for whatever reason, and I note you are careful to make your argument a tad exculpatory). You cannot embrace a culture and then turn that embrace on and off at will, (Cultural anthropologists will verify that  statement). Absorption of the aspects of any culture are gradual and largely internal, not noticeable very much from the outside other than in their ability to subtly alter perceptions and habits - the people closest to you are often the first to notice long-term changes). As to the comment about 'embracing and living the culture'; I don't agree though I do agree it isn't quite as easy as one might think. one can be forgiven for thinking that wearing a particular style of jeans doesn't imply much (and indeed will not change very much) about internal attributes and approaches, but corporations spend a lot of time and money researching the exactly opposite assumption. One cannot clothe yourself with a culture without affecting your own cultural state. As anyone who has researched the field of psychology associated with the assumption of God-forms will be able to support.

Anyway, breakfast beckons, and that is a competition TV subscribers are bound not to win.

Absorb what you can and ignore the rest. LOL. OK.

Edited by ParkerN

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why should their be any blame?  Whether it's Spanish Flu, SARS, bird flu or AIDS, viruses and potential pandemics are, and have always been, part of life.

So you are saying that all viruses are natural and not produced in a lab, as there are many labs world wide that can alter or change viruses. I am so proud of Australia's stance on wanting a full investigation of the covid 19 virus and wish more countries would jump in

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

So you are saying that all viruses are natural and not produced in a lab, as there are many labs world wide that can alter or change viruses. I am so proud of Australia's stance on wanting a full investigation of the covid 19 virus and wish more countries would jump in

I have absolutely no idea.  I would fully support any investigation, if such an investigation could be shown to be impartial.

I expected the roads to be jam packed during this weekend.  On Friday, very little traffic,  yesterday, Saturday, the same, today,  it looks like I am on the earth by myself.  Where is everyone? Even my two nearest neighbours are missing.   Day of the Triffids perhaps?  

On 4/10/2021 at 11:15 AM, YetAnother said:

the scary part is the ministers likely do not even see the sure-to-happen problem

The problem is the government is running out of money. It can’t keep on giving hands out to people. We must live with the virus. We just need to follow the guidelines and stay safe. Stay home and cancel all unnecessary travels. 

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

The problem is the government is running out of money. It can’t keep on giving hands out to people. We must live with the virus. We just need to follow the guidelines and stay safe. Stay home and cancel all unnecessary travels. 

This government is far from running out of money and has also borrowed as well as putting in place an over Trillion baht covid recovery plan.  The issue is the ones at the trough have siphoned off much of it in the name of projects instead of truly taking care of the people.

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/national/79371-thailand-passes-record-bt1-9-trillion-stimulus-package.html

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The ministers don't see it and those traveling or planning to travel don't see it, everybody seems to be going blind in Thailand. 

Is blindness a corovid sequel or the opposite ? Funny, a few days ago TAT was thinking of sharing one if these buble safe travel thing with Australia (and some other) ! Right at the same time as this wave (don't matter its number) is happening. 

So I guess, this blindness is a government illness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Shame the people responsible for allowing this to happen are completely unaccountable and answer to no-one. 

Now let's see how they handle a UK or US scale outbreak shall we?

????

It's possible that is what is in the future. I wish them luck bu I fear it will be all bad.

There is a difference between this current virus and the old ones like the Spanish flu, it is called a vaccine, or vaccines

which were not the in thing back then.   So if you experts are wondering why the death numbers are not as large, well

the care in hospitals are also a lot more advanced as well.  Be happy that you live in a world where your chance of survival 

is a bit better.

Geezer

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 7:44 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

If he is "quarantining" at home the must mean he is infected and if he is infected why is he not in a hospital or better yet a field hospital?Is he "self hiding" from the effects of his decisions?How many other hiso's get to "quarantine" at home?

Private supplies of PPE available to him at home, not available in crowded hospitals, even private ones, and he aint going to a field situation you can be sure. He will behind a high wall one imagines with locked electronic gates, safe/