Convert full UK driving license to Thai at Chonburi DLT--- up-to-date requirements.

davidhen

I have done much research on this subject, but am still left wanting for answers. Please can anyone offer guidance/answers to any of the questions below?

1) Are DLT offices open for business? There is a warning on the DLT website stating "All services are suspended whilst the emergency decree is in force." Is this really true --- or is it an old sign which needs to be removed?

2) I have in my passport, an immigration slip acknowledging my current address, as well as signed documents from the owner of my condo. Do I need to visit Soi 5 to get an additional document, and if so, what exactly do I ask for?

3) There has been a lot of mention of the requirements for an IDP --- or a signed document giving a translation (into English) of an overseas license. As mentioned in the above title, I hold a full UK license, which obviously is written in English. Do I still need an IDP, because if this is the case, I shall have to wait until I go back home before I can obtain one?

I am aware, I think, of all the other requirements, and I thank in advance, any and all respondents.

David. 

Firstly you will have to make an appointment at the DLT...renewing my Thai licenses and a three month wait for an appointment at Pattaya (Banglamung) DLT.....I came over here with a IDP from the UK which made the conversion simple...not sure about just a UK licence.

6 hours ago, davidhen said:

1) Are DLT offices open for business?

yes, however as mentioned you will need to make an appointment

Do I need to visit Soi 5 to get an additional document, and if so, what exactly do I ask for?

yes you will need a Residence Cerificate (or Certificate of Residence) for the purpose of getting a driving licence. Cost is/was 300 baht for one and valid I think for 30 days for driving licence purposes. You will need to show a proof of address to get it issued.

You will also need a medical certificate for the DLT.

By the way there is a DLT centre at Chonburi city but presume you mean the one next door to Regents school which is more commonly referred to as Pattaya or Banglamung DLT - just to avoid any potential confusion ???? 

If you can get up there to make the appointment they will also give you a list of exactly what is required. I am not sure of opening next week with the Songkrahn holidays. 

• Like 1

They are booking about a month ahead although as we showed them the doctors cert and cert of residency from Immigration they may have squeezed me in to make sure they didn't lapse. Never had to translate UK license, they are self explanatory.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, petermik said:

Firstly you will have to make an appointment at the DLT...renewing my Thai licenses and a three month wait for an appointment at Pattaya (Banglamung) DLT.....I came over here with a IDP from the UK which made the conversion simple...not sure about just a UK licence.

Did you give them the idp and your uk license ?

I had a Thai license but it expired a few year ago and when I went to renew it I failed the colour-blind test so no license. Said try again tomorrow ????

I now have a idp from the uk and was not sure if I submitted it with my license would they give me a license or will I still need to do the colour test etc ?

4 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Did you give them the idp and your uk license ?

There is no need to show them an "IDP"  if you have a licence that shows your photo and is written in English   after all the IDP is just a translation in to several languages  but not of which are the Thai languge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, johng said:

There is no need to show them an "IDP"  if you have a licence that shows your photo and is written in English   after all the IDP is just a translation in to several languages  but not of which are the Thai languge.

You have to be careful what you say, nothing can ever be taken definitively.

When I first went to get a licence at Chonburi DLT we called in and asked what was required. We were told IDP and national licence along with the other stuff. When we turned up the woman at reception said a certified translation of the IDP was required. My wife was mad and not often she complains, demanded to see the manager. She explained what had happened and the manager said the woman was wrong and no translation was required only the IDP. We went back to the booking in desk and the woman took the photocopies, only the IDP, never even looked at my national licence.

Hopefully time has moved on and the whole IDP saga has been put to bed, but it's not a given, as we are well aware there can always be another outbreak.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, petermik said:

I was there 29 March they give me a appointment for 28 April

copy PP, Copy Visa, Medical and Resident from Immigration(no yellow book)

6 hours ago, johng said:

But you still need do the colour test etc or not though ? 

16 hours ago, Henricus said:

I have a blue tabien ban (permanent resident), exactly the same a Thai's, any information if they accept that?

On 4/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, topt said:

yes, however as mentioned you will need to make an appointment

yes you will need a Residence Cerificate (or Certificate of Residence) for the purpose of getting a driving licence. Cost is/was 300 baht for one and valid I think for 30 days for driving licence purposes. You will need to show a proof of address to get it issued.

You will also need a medical certificate for the DLT.

By the way there is a DLT centre at Chonburi city but presume you mean the one next door to Regents school which is more commonly referred to as Pattaya or Banglamung DLT - just to avoid any potential confusion ???? 

If you can get up there to make the appointment they will also give you a list of exactly what is required. I am not sure of opening next week with the Songkrahn holidays. 

it will, I think be closed.....13, 14, and 15 april.......

UPDATE --- after DLT visit today.

I went to "Pattaya DLT" this morning with the intention of making an appointment and asking a couple of questions. After having been given false advice (by someone in one of the queues, and relayed to me by my Thai girlfriend) I queued for 45 minutes under a canvas awning, only to be told that I needed to go inside the actual building.

I obtained a queue number and after a further 15 minutes, the lady at the counter pointed to a sign, typed in English, Which stated that "Due to Covid 19, some in-person services were suspended until 30th June." This is the same statement which I have seen displayed on the DLT website. She gave me a brief note listing document requirements and told me that I can come back after 30th June to make the appointment, which might occur some 30 days after that. 

On an additional point I would like to add the following:

I have read somewhere that the accompaniment of a Thai-speaking friend could be useful, if the officer conducting the necessary tests doesn't speak English. My Thai girlfriend would not enter the building with me, saying that, "I am not allowed!" Could someone please clarify the situation for me?

1 hour ago, davidhen said:

She gave me a brief note listing document requirements

Did it include the need to show them an International drivers permit ?

1 hour ago, davidhen said:

My Thai girlfriend would not enter the building with me, saying that, "I am not allowed!" Could someone please clarify the situation for me?

When doing  "the tests"  as far as I know they don't allow an outside  "helper'   if you need help then ask the staff to explain

or they will let a person who is also taking "the tests" explain it...they do explain the procedures for the eyesight and reaction tests  and even let you walk around the  driving course  and sit and watch others  trying to drive around it..

Your girlfriend is allowed to enter the building  but they will likely order her to stay downstairs when you have to go upstairs for "the tests"

I have read somewhere that the accompaniment of a Thai-speaking friend could be useful, if the officer conducting the necessary tests doesn't speak English. My Thai girlfriend would not enter the building with me, saying that, "I am not allowed!" Could someone please clarify the situation for me?

it used to be an issue but certainly when I went there a couple of times last year there were at least 2 different reception ladies who spoke pretty good English so I would not be concerned - especially not for the vision/reaction tests which are quite straightforward to understand.

The very brief note was, in my opinion, neither appropriate for my requirements, nor indeed complete.

It lists the following:

1) Resident certificate (from immigration) --- OK.

2) Passport + visa (original +copy) --- OK, but I am aware that for car and m/c I will need 2 copies.

3) Thai driving license --- ??? That's precisely why I am here!

4) Medical certificate --- perhaps x 2 --- See note 2.

You will see that the list does not include the requirement for an IDP, and I am confident, having read other articles on this forum, and being in possession of a FULL UK license (typed in English --- obviously) that this is NOT required.

In addition to the above, I have also, from various sources, gleaned information that copies of my TM 6 is/are also required. And, of course, My UK license along with the necessary copies.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 6:52 PM, Henricus said:

But now they have shut again and even though I have an appointment for 27 April they say they are only doing 2yr licences and I will have to rebook and get new medical and residency letters in June!