Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Thai visas in Australia only available from Sydney and Canberra


Recommended Posts

From 28th May, Thai visas will only be available from the Embassy in Canberra or the Sydney Consulate. Honorary Consulates in Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart, Melbourne and Perth will no longer be authorised to issue them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know the honorary consulates have not been able to issue visas for a about a year now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the honorary consulates have not been able to issue visas for a about a year now.

 

But now it's just been made permanent, per an announcement by the Thai Ambassador to Australia on 8th April, quoting Article 2 and 30 of the Regulations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Governing the Appointment and Functions of Honorary Consular Officers - they will be prohibited from issuing visas to foreigners and legalising documents.

Edited by dbrenn
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went to embassy website and read it myself.

I wonder if the is Australia only.

I checked the US and UK embassy website and could not find any mention of the them being closed there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just went to embassy website and read it myself.

I wonder if the is Australia only.

I checked the US and UK embassy website and could not find any mention of the them being closed there.

If they aren't allowed to sell visas, there will be no reason for honourary consulates to stay open.

 

Could also be a toughening up of the tourist visa system - honourary consulates simply sell visas, with no regulation whatsoever, and none of the revenue goes to the Thai government.

 

You'd expect the opposite, that they would be trying to entice tourists back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Melbourne consulate stopped issuing 1 year Non imm visas well over 2 years ago.

All the honorary consulates were told not to issue them then. The could still issue other visas a until covid 19 last year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 4:53 PM, ubonjoe said:

honorary consulates have not been able to issue visas for a about a year now

Probably 10 years.!

I had to send my passport to Canberra for the 90 day visa, that was 2012.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 7:15 AM, dbrenn said:

If they aren't allowed to sell visas, there will be no reason for honourary consulates to stay open.

 

Could also be a toughening up of the tourist visa system - honourary consulates simply sell visas, with no regulation whatsoever, and none of the revenue goes to the Thai government.

 

You'd expect the opposite, that they would be trying to entice tourists back.

I would have thought that the majority of genuine tourists who come from Australia or other countries, that can come here Visa Exempt or whatever the term is, would have no need to “buy” a visa.

I never bought one when I used to visit as a tourist and non of my many visitors over the past ten years have bought one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I would have thought that the majority of genuine tourists who come from Australia or other countries, that can come here Visa Exempt or whatever the term is, would have no need to “buy” a visa.

I never bought one when I used to visit as a tourist and non of my many visitors over the past ten years have bought one.

For visits of up to 30 days, the visa exempt is sufficient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

Melbourne consulate stopped issuing 1 year Non imm visas well over 2 years ago. Application only via the Thai embassy.

Not true, I applied for, and received, my Non Immigrant O visa from Melbourne last November. I think it was processed in Camberra though but definitely issued from Melbourne. 3 days from memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lazybones said:

Not true, I applied for, and received, my Non Immigrant O visa from Melbourne last November. I think it was processed in Camberra though but definitely issued from Melbourne. 3 days from memory.

Perhaps I should had been a little more specific. All Non immigrant "B" visas had to be submitted to Canberra with triple the paperwork.  However they would still issue a 90 day visa with the usual paperwork.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...