changing engine info

Friend bought a pick up with a blown engine.

He is intending to by another engine to fit into it.

I was under the impression that it's not as simple as it appears when putting it back on the road.

I always thought you needed some paper trail ref' the original vehicle the engine came from especially if you intend to sell the pick up later.

Anyone know the whole answer?

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Friend bought a pick up with a blown engine.

A friend of mine had a blown engine and fixed the engine why change it.

Maybe changing the engine cost less than the total repair bill.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

You should - make sure you do - receive paperwork from the new engine seller, listing serial number, year, displacement.

Swap engine. Take vehicle to DLT - they will check the serial number you give them against the serial number of the engine in the car.

If they match, your blue book will be revised to show the new engine number.

Good to go.

Thanks.

I'll pass that on.

Edited by overherebc

On 4/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, overherebc said:

With a piston going out through the side of the block it's a bit more than some grinding and araldite I reckon.

It's usually a con rod big end that goes through the side of the block rather than a piston. This is usually caused by a failed big end bearing which in turn is caused by oil starvation or lack of oil changes. 

Edited by Lancashirelad

6 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

It's usually a con rod big end that goes through the side of the block rather than a piston. This is usually caused by a failed big end bearing which in turn is caused by oil starvation or lack of oil changes. 

Or if the cam belt breaks and a valve hits the piston at high revs there will be lots of bits going where they shouldn't.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well a new block is a part just like anything else.

Never heard of a piston going through the side of the block, typically it is a rod. 

Assuming  the rest of the block is okay, you can just weld a patch over the hole. 

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, Kwasaki said:
On 4/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, SiamRead said:

Maybe changing the engine cost less than the total repair bill.

Possible but there's not much information to make assessment. 

"...there's not much information to make assessment".

...yet there was enough information for you to assess that he should repair the engine, not replace it.  Funny, that!

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Never heard of a piston going through the side of the block, typically it is a rod. 

Assuming  the rest of the block is okay, you can just weld a patch over the hole. 

Never done that always replaced parts, shaved heads,  change ends etc etc. 

Later on changed the engine for a re-con and rebuild the old engine.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...there's not much information to make assessment".

...yet there was enough information for you to assess that he should repair the engine, not replace it.  Funny, that!

Your mixing up threads and not reading nothing funny about it. 

Have you any advice or do you just want a ruck. 

Edited by Kwasaki

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Or if the cam belt breaks and a valve hits the piston at high revs there will be lots of bits going where they shouldn't.

That can be catastrophic, but usually dented pistons, bent valves and broken cam carrier caps.

• Like 1

Bought a old Toyota Pickup with blown engine last year. Priced. it out was cheaper to install a used engine, local  shop did it, and they even took the truck to the tax office and got the new serial number in the book. Easy, and they did all the paperwork no issues. If I remember was less than 10K baht for everything.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never done that always replaced parts, shaved heads,  change ends etc etc. 

Later on changed the engine for a re-con and rebuild the old engine.

Back in the day, for a low budget fix it was not uncommon to remove the broken rod, weld a patch on the block and remove the rocker-arms and run it. 

5 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Good used engine a better and cheaper option in my view, although that is also a risk if you don't know the maintenance history of it.

Yeah, low mileage engine pulled from a recent wrecks are generally like new.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, overherebc said:

With a piston going out through the side of the block it's a bit more than some grinding and araldite I reckon.

Ah, but it could be welded and plated and repaired......ok I am just being facetious now. 

An engine change for any vehicle just requires the proper documentation from the seller to the buyer/installer, and then a trip to DLT above to verify all paperwork is correct.  They will then add on a page in the vehicle Blue book for cars and green book for a MC the changed number information to reflect the current number as reviewed and installed.

• Like 2

Engine could have overheated and done irrepairable damage to almost every engine part.

Makes economic sense to change the complete engine.

As canthai55 said, get the numbers and register the change.

I'd do that before the refit, just to be sure it's not from a stolen vehicle.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Back in the day, for a low budget fix it was not uncommon to remove the broken rod, weld a patch on the block and remove the rocker-arms and run it. 

Thanks for that never heard that before in my bike, car, vans & lorry engineering days in UK. 

Sounds very Thai. ???? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for that never heard that before in my bike, car, vans & lorry engineering days in UK. 

Sounds very Thai. ???? 

Actually it was in the US, but long ago when rod-knocks and engine failure was more common. It was a poor man's fix, not something a rich engineer would likely be familiar with.

Did you ever have a "compressor" the screwed into a spark-plug hole?

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have you any advice

Not for you, no, but that, of course, would be up to me and nothing to do with you.  This is a public forum and comments on posts are allowed.  As it happen, your comment wasn't exactly the most relevant, or good advice, in view of what the OP asked.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not for you, no, but that, of course, would be up to me and nothing to do with you.  This is a public forum and comments on posts are allowed.  As it happen, your comment wasn't exactly the most relevant, or good advice, in view of what the OP asked.

Actually, I do not believe this is a "public forum", but rather a private, for-profit enterprise, yes? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually it was in the US, but long ago when rod-knocks and engine failure was more common. It was a poor man's fix, not something a rich engineer would likely be familiar with.

Did you ever have a "compressor" the screwed into a spark-plug hole?

I didn't own one myself, I could borrow a compression tester in the garage I helped out in but do you mean the one you could use to pump up tyres.?

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I didn't own one myself, I could borrow a compression tester in the garage I helped out in but do you mean the one you could use to pump up tyres.?

Pump up tires, you don't see them anymore....