Big jump in Covid cases in April in Chiang Mai

EricTh

Total infections this month in Chiang Mai is 381 cases.

This compares with only 69 cases for the first 12 months until end of March.

Why are they still allowing Songkran festival?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Big jump in Covid cases in April in Chiang Mai

Big Jump in Covid  testing ???? availability & folks willing to be tested is what it is.

Truthfully....I believe it has been in Thailand since early Wuhan days

Just no testing but many older folks died in rural provinces of what was called a Super Pneumonia

In any case pandoras box has been open for a long time only difference is it is just mildly documented now

compared to not at all before

Lastly look at actual death toll & hospitals

For what ever reason...heat...body type etc...Thailand has a very high asymptomatic amount of cases but few "recorded" deaths

attributed to Covid

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, orang37 said:

The failure to ban the usual Songkran surge of interprovincial travel to the north, Issarn, etc., is ...  not  going to have a happy ending.

That's true. The figure is 967 new cases today for whole of Thailand.

That's the highest daily spike for more than one year.

I dread to see the figures go to few thousand new cases per day in the near future.

It is because the ministers already have the vaccine shots that they are lax about it this time?

Edited by EricTh

Last year it was bad in March and April....  This year April.  

Twice I wanted to go back to CM......twice I must remain safe(r) near the water.  

OK, buy 100 million tests and 100 million vaccines and let's do this....

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

Seems strange to me that this time last year the gov did crack down pretty hard with lockdowns, mall closures, no domestic air travel, schools closing, no groups, etc, but now it is just as bad, if not worse, but hardly any restrictions in place apart from in a few cities, and travel going on as normal??

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Apparently the car wash around the corner from us in our village (southern end of mueang) has been struck by covid, which explains why it is so quiet today. The car wash is a front for an online gambling shop and drinking den, so it's not surprising it hit there. My brother-in-law tells me to go home when he sees me because he is afraid of the UK variant - it doesn't register with him that I haven't been out of Thailand for 6 years......

I still see quite a few people who don't bother to wear masks, this explain the spread of this virus. 

Or they wear their mask at the security guard area but once inside, they take off their surgical mask which is really disgusting.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I still see quite a few people who don't bother to wear masks, this explain the spread of this virus. 

Or they wear their mask at the security guard area but once inside, they take off their surgical mask which is really disgusting.

The only non-masked person I've seen inside a shop is at Home Pro next to BigC on the Hang Dong road a couple of weeks ago. He was an angry looking farang that walked fast into the shop and half pulled a mask out of his pocket as he marched past the security guard asking him about a mask.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Maybe they do not have Covid ...

How could you possibly know ?

If you ask anyone, of course, they will say they don't have Covid.

That's how Covid spread because everyone is so confident they won't be infected.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Besides Bangkok, the red zones include Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chonburi.

Nationwide, night venues such as pubs, bars and massage parlours will once again face a temporary closure of at least 14 days. 

Schools and universities will also shut unless permitted by the Education Ministry for special reasons such as exams.

"Events that require the gathering of more than 50 people will be prohibited

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Besides Bangkok, the red zones include Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chonburi.

Nationwide, night venues such as pubs, bars and massage parlours will once again face a temporary closure of at least 14 days. 

Schools and universities will also shut unless permitted by the Education Ministry for special reasons such as exams.

"Events that require the gathering of more than 50 people will be prohibited

Where did you get that information?  Very different from below about Bangkok.

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Friday announced additional measures in a bid to contain the Covid-19 outbreak, in line with the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration’s decision to place Bangkok and 17 other provinces in red zone, or highest control area.

“In the red zone provinces, tighter measures will be enforced for 14 days from April 18,” said Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang.

They are:

▪︎ Restaurants can serve food until 9pm and provide takeaways until 11pm.

▪︎ No alcohol can be served.

▪︎ Department stores and shopping malls can be open until 9pm.

▪︎ Supermarket, flea markets, fresh markets, convenience stores and similar places of business can be open until 11pm and reopen at 4am.

▪︎ Stadiums and gyms can open until 9pm and competitions can be held without an audience.

▪︎ All schools and educational institutions will only hold online classes.

▪︎ All entertainment venues, including pubs, bars, karaoke outlets, massage parlours, etc, will be closed until further notice.

▪︎ Any gathering exceeding 50 people must seek official approval.

▪︎ All banquets or gatherings must be cancelled or postponed.

▪︎ People should avoid going outdoors, and work from home as much as possible.

BMA spokesman Phongsakorn Kwanmuang added that hospitals in the province have a combined capacity of treating 9,183 Covid-19 patients. Currently up to 4,939 patients are being treated.

“Patients who have none or non-progressive symptoms would be transferred to hospitels, or hotels that have been converted into treatment facilities to reduce crowdedness at hospitals,” he said."

from The Nation April 18  https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404976

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brommers said:

What no one seems to be mentioning is the Wing 41 hotspot of 60 cases so far was due to the military having a party attended by hostesses! So us normal folk could not have a drink in a bar or alcohol with a meal in a restaurant but the oh so self important military can party their t*ts off with impunity!

Par for the course????

TIT

7 hours ago, brommers said:

What no one seems to be mentioning is the Wing 41 hotspot of 60 cases so far was due to the military having a party attended by hostesses! So us normal folk could not have a drink in a bar or alcohol with a meal in a restaurant but the oh so self important military can party their t*ts off with impunity!

Source ?

Waitresses/Waiters would be less dangerous than Hostesses./Hosts ?

1 minute ago, cubism001 said:

Where can I get a vaccine? I have a Thai retirement visa.  I'd appreciate a link or admin. advice. Lots of well-meaning gossip out there. Thanks!

I've been asking the same question for one or two months now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cubism001 said:

Where can I get a vaccine? I have a Thai retirement visa.  I'd appreciate a link or admin. advice. Lots of well-meaning gossip out there. Thanks!

Closest would probably be Maldives:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/vaccine-tourism-maldives-to-offer-holidaymakers-vaccines-on-arrival.html

Else you could try flying to Moscow or Belgrade for vaccine tourism.

https://www.dw.com/en/germans-head-to-russia-for-sputnik-v-jab/av-57233661

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3128266/coronavirus-serbia-sees-influx-vaccine-tourists-citizens-shun

• Sad 2

On 4/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, EricTh said:

If you ask anyone, of course, they will say they don't have Covid.

That's how Covid spread because everyone is so confident they won't be infected.

The point being: masks worn regularly.  Ch Mai's the only province in this area (14 provinces)  that doesn't have an official mask mandate. (Got that from govt. info. on the net; sorry I don't have a link.)  

Here some news of Moderna vaccine from Canada.

And it ain't good ...

"During the public health pandemic, the Lytton doctors have not treated any patients with COVID-19, Hoffe said. “So in our limited experience, this vaccine is quite clearly more dangerous than COVID-19.”

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/one-dead-three-neurologically-disabled-numerous-reactions-from-vaccine-in-tiny-indigenous-village

• Haha 1