Old to New Passport.

My retirement extension renewal is December 2021 and  my passport expires in May 2022 . Is it possible to get a new passport before my renewal , take my old passport to immigration and start my new extension in my new passport ?

Yes.

Get your new PP by whatever process. 

The embassy should give you a letter to transfer your existing stamps to the new PP. Go to immigration and get the transfer done (should be free).

Once that's sorted you do everything in the new PP.

• Like 2

Thanks Crossy , but when you talk about existing stamp , are you talking about my original visa that I extend on , and will it be a problem that the office where I got my Visa from is a different office to the one I use now ?

Also , will I be able to get my new extension in December if my passport expires the following May . or do I need to have my new passport by December ?

Edited by NE1

Is the answers here the right ones? As I remember it the passport have to be valid for at least 6 month when you ask for visa. That indicate that the old one could not be used. 

Another thing to have in mind is if you have a driving license as your passport number is on the driving license. When I renewed my passport I asked both police and emigration if I had to renew my driving license as well. None of them did know. I have not had the time to ask the Land office yet.   

Edited by Parsve
spelling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parsve said:

As I remember it the passport have to be valid for at least 6 month when you ask for visa

Not been a smart arris , but technically I am not getting a Visa , as for the Driving licence , good call , I will have to get it changed when the new passport arrives

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, Crossy said:

Get your new PP by whatever process. The embassy should give you a letter to transfer your existing stamps to the new PP. Go to immigration and get the transfer done (should be free).

Hello Crossy. Here's a related question you might have the answer to. When renewing passports, your embassy gives you a copy of your relevant pages and current visa to carry with you while the renewal process is playing out. If the renewal process has been delayed by covid slowdowns in your original country past the date of your current visa, do you know if immigration can issue a covid-extension based on your copy and not original passport? In other words, can you get another covid extension with just the passport copy and not the original in possession? I would assume no, and anyone caught in this situation might wind up on overstay. 

1 minute ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Hello Crossy. Here's a related question you might have the answer to. When renewing passports, your embassy gives you a copy of your relevant pages and current visa to carry with you while the renewal process is playing out. If the renewal process has been delayed by covid slowdowns in your original country past the date of your current visa, do you know if immigration can issue a covid-extension based on your copy and not original passport? In other words, can you get another covid extension with just the passport copy and not the original in possession? I would assume no, and anyone caught in this situation might wind up on overstay. 

Depends on where you come from, UK passport agency allow you to retain the current passport, as it is still valid until the new passport is issued.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

When I have renewed my UK passport in the past it is returned to me with the corner cut off..I have PPs going back to 68. I have to renew my PP by May 22..my RT ext has just  been done so I have a year to play with but I'll probably get an agent to do it for me....sooner rather than later..

Edited by The Hammer2021

OP.... Once you have obtained your new passport you obviously need to notify Immigration and get them to transfer your 'stamp(s)' over from your original passport to the new one. 

Having notified Immigration, there are a few more businesses/organisations that you may also need to inform as your information is/may be linked to your passport number, for example:

1.   Banks - for each account that you have including credit card(s).

2.  Land Transport - Driving licence/vehicle registration.

3.  Local Amphur - Yellow Book/Pink Card.

4.  Hospital(s) and/or local Doctor/Clinic.

5.  Mobile phone/internet service provider.

6.  BTS/MRT travel card.

No doubt there may be others....  All good fun.

Re: #4 Hospitals.... FYI.... There was a case recently in Pattaya of a Brit who had renewed his passport but not informed the hospital that he normally attended.  He was taken ill and admitted to the hospital under his original passport number but unfortunately passed away.  The hospital would not release his body because the passport number they had did not match that provided by the British Embassy e.g. his new passport.  It took a lot of negotiations to get the hospital to eventually release his body.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the excellent  information and advice. I am very nearly 75 so please excuse any confusion.

My 90 day renewal is on April 21st.

My Retirement Extension renewal date is June 25th.

My UK Passport expires on June 21st next year.

So, when ideally should I apply for a new Passport in this Covid world? Any advice please?

Will I have to obtain a visa for the gap of 4 days next year? Is this a problem?

20 minutes ago, siftasam said:

Thank you for all the excellent  information and advice. I am very nearly 75 so please excuse any confusion.

My 90 day renewal is on April 21st.

My Retirement Extension renewal date is June 25th.

My UK Passport expires on June 21st next year.

So, when ideally should I apply for a new Passport in this Covid world? Any advice please?

Will I have to obtain a visa for the gap of 4 days next year? Is this a problem?

No problem.... Do your extension as normal this year.

Because your passport expires on the 21st June 2022, lmmigration will only extend your permission to stay until the 21st June 2022.  Effectively you just lose a few days extension, but that's not the end of the earth.

Once you have got your extension (until 21 June 2022) you can then apply for a new passport.... do not leave it until the last minute... l would suggest applying 6 months before your passport expires e.g. January or February because of unknown delays resulting from the new Covid world.

When you eventually get your new passport go to lmmigration and get them to transfer your extension stamp over to the new passport (21 June 2022).

So from 2022 you will need to do your extension on, or prior, to the 21st June as oposed to the 25th.

Hope that helps solve your confusion.

My passport expires June 2022.  I've decided not to sweat it and apply June 2021, a year early and not wait for a six month window.  I'll lose a year, but that's not a concern.  In a normal world when you travel internationally you usually need six months on your passport.  I doubt I'll be traveling international by January 2022, but you never know, do you.  Waiting for the six month window really makes it less than six months because of the mailing the passport back and forth.  You also never know what will happen with the mail now a days.

You must have at least one year on your passport when you go for an extension.  I have a neighbor that only got four months on his extension and had to do it all over again four months later with a new passport.  A pain, for sure.  And his wife wasn't too happy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Having notified Immigration, there are a few more businesses/organisations that you may also need to inform as your information is/may be linked to your passport number, for example:

1.   Banks - for each account that you have including credit card(s).

2.  Land Transport - Driving licence/vehicle registration.

3.  Local Amphur - Yellow Book/Pink Card.

4.  Hospital(s) and/or local Doctor/Clinic.

5.  Mobile phone/internet service provider.

6.  BTS/MRT travel card.

This is excellent advise.  

Does anyone know if you can just get a replacement driving license with same expiration date?  Or have to go and apply for a new one with all the paperwork.  That brake test really stresses me out! haha!

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Does anyone know if you can just get a replacement driving license with same expiration date?  Or have to go and apply for a new one with all the paperwork.  That brake test really stresses me out! haha!

No tests required... you will just need to provide copies of your photo pages from your original and new passport.... they will then update their system and issue you with a new driving licence.

Note:  The replacement driving licence with your new passport number will still have the original licence expiry date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, 007!  So admirably clear and comprehensive.

I hope your retirement is not quite like that of the 70 year old James Bond in the brilliant Alan Coren parody ('Dr. No Will See You Now'), which starts:

'Bond tensed in the darkness, and reached for his teeth. There was something in the room............the teeth fell exactly to hand, there between the senna and the Algipan on his bedside table.'

As I am 75 next month, and I have no Health Insurance - and no idea whether Immigration will deem it compulsory this year or in the future, I'd better arm myself with it ASAP.

But which company or 'agent' is best to contact? (But that's for another forum)

Until then, let's remember M's beautiful words from Tennyson

'Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.'

I'm in this boat at the moment. I mailed my passport in to the US Embassy about a week ago. Just asked about the status, they said I should get it in about another week. Appears to be pretty good service.

Meanwhile, I've had to carry around a color photocopy of the main page and current visa stamp. Seems pretty scary, with what you hear about not having your original passport on you, but mailing it in and having to make do without it are the US Embassy's own official instructions, hah.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, 007 RED said:
On 4/12/2021 at 3:14 PM, LivingNThailand said:

No tests required... you will just need to provide copies of your photo pages from your original and new passport.... they will then update their system and issue you with a new driving licence.

Note:  The replacement driving licence with your new passport number will still have the original licence expiry date. 

I got a new passport in October 2019. My 5-year driving licenses still have the old passport number on them. I'll get them updated when I renew the licenses next year.