Installing a bum gun in Canada's or any Western Country

Hmm. Should be OK unless in Northwestern Ontario where the water temperature is about 35F. ????

The toilet has a water supply and is exposed to carpets and wood floors and the like so an extra widget will be OK . It simply increases the risk of a leak. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, meechai said:

Very Easy task as a T valve sits between your toilet tank & your water supply line

Just google handheld Bidet

Like this type

Personally I like the better guns if possible Like This

So try to find a good valve/hose set & look for a good gun

All inexpensive in the USA they are quite popular as diaper washers I guess

Supposed to havebackflow prevention device.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Agree with all above... better to invest in a toilet with automatically warmed water spray... cold water in Switzerland is between 8-15° C all year long... would not want that...

Frozen eggs????

• Like 2

The ground water is a lot colder in northern climates.  That's gonna be a real shock to the system doing your business on a cold winter morning.  As someone else mentioned, you would want to use heated water.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Thanks to all those who gave informative practical advice. I have no interest in bidets or warm water toilets. IdeallyI would want to install with minimal work, piping, connections and plumbing. Ideally via the same tank where the flush watet is stored and controlled by the stopcock. Is that possible? would a special  tank be required? Is it possible to drill a hole in porcelain? Thus I would be most grateful for any information from people who have actually installed a water snake. They were used a lot in the MENA region where I worked too.

39 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Ideally via the same tank where the flush watet is stored and controlled by the stopcock. Is that possible?

No, there would be next to no pressure there. T-ing into the supply as described above is what you need, although is not allowed in some places.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thanks to all those who gave informative practical advice. I have no interest in bidets or warm water toilets. IdeallyI would want to install with minimal work, piping, connections and plumbing. Ideally via the same tank where the flush watet is stored and controlled by the stopcock. Is that possible? would a special  tank be required? Is it possible to drill a hole in porcelain? Thus I would be most grateful for any information from people who have actually installed a water snake. They were used a lot in the MENA region where I worked too.

You are a real handyman aren't ya.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I installed in the UK, just tee'd off the toilet supply, it really woke me up in the winter.  ???? 

Found out later that this was against the UK regs as it connected directly to the mains.  Apparently, you need a separate header tank so that there's an air gap to preclude any chance of contamination into the mains.  Though if that was actually important, half of Asia would be dead now.

Did I change it?  No.  It would have lost me the mains pressure and given a poor bum gun.  I DID add a non-return valve just in case - within the spirit if not the letter of the regs IMO.   So, I was a criminal with a clean bum.  ????

To order online, search "hand held bidet" or "shattaf" - Moslems use those for ritual cleansing before prayer, same item different name.

AFAIK there are simple back flow valves available. Just small ones, put it after the T