Installing a bum gun in Canada's or any Western Country

All of the pipe fittings, spray gun, hose, valves etc are standard ½ inch NPT (national pipe thread) used all over the world. So you can buy about all of it most western countries I suspect, certainly in the USA. 

Cold water is not an issue in many homes even in cold climes because the internal pipes of a heated home have room temp water in them even in the cold water lines. At least several gallons. 

You can just buy a T fitting and connect one arm to the toilet water feed and the other to the sprayer. I recommend a in-line valve to reduce the spray pressure to a comfortable level. In most of America the water pressure is ~60psi. You just want to clean the area, not remove the first half inch of skin. ????

PM me if you want specific plumbing details. I'll send you links on the web for all you need and a sketch of the plumbing. With all the parts it's a 30min job at most and maybe 20USD cost. 

Actually I bet you can find a video on YouTube as they are getting popular in western countries now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Ok. I installed a "T" , behind the cistern,  where the water pipe for the toilet exits the wall. I couldn't find any proper bum guns locally where I lived. Used a garden hose, adjustable nozzle. Thai missus & daughters said it worked pretty well. Next trip here to LOS I bought bum gun hand pieces. Job done.

Thanks. V useful. Re BG..did you think of Lazada?

20 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

All of the pipe fittings, spray gun, hose, valves etc are standard ½ inch NPT (national pipe thread) used all over the world. So you can buy about all of it most western countries I suspect, certainly in the USA. 

Cold water is not an issue in many homes even in cold climes because the internal pipes of a heated home have room temp water in them even in the cold water lines. At least several gallons. 

You can just buy a T fitting and connect one arm to the toilet water feed and the other to the sprayer. I recommend a in-line valve to reduce the spray pressure to a comfortable level. In most of America the water pressure is ~60psi. You just want to clean the area, not remove the first half inch of skin. ????

PM me if you want specific plumbing details. I'll send you links on the web for all you need and a sketch of the plumbing. With all the parts it's a 30min job at most and maybe 20USD cost. 

Actually I bet you can find a video on YouTube as they are getting popular in western countries now. 

Thanks for the informative positive post

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

What is this obsession with bum guns? I really don't get it. I'm currently staying in a condo with "Japanese" toilet and I like so much taking a dump on the warm seat daily, so I decided to check prices in Canada as it will sure be welcome addition to those cold winter days. 

It's about 400 bucks at home depot, probably 10 times easier to install and 100x better. 

I have no interest in warm seats. I am interested in effective, inexpensive, toilet hygiene transplanted from Thailand to the west. I can see no obsession with bum guns just one short thread about a common household item in the country in which we reside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

I installed in the UK, just tee'd off the toilet supply, it really woke me up in the winter.  ???? 

Found out later that this was against the UK regs as it connected directly to the mains.  Apparently, you need a separate header tank so that there's an air gap to preclude any chance of contamination into the mains.  Though if that was actually important, half of Asia would be dead now.

Did I change it?  No.  It would have lost me the mains pressure and given a poor bum gun.  I DID add a non-return valve just in case - within the spirit if not the letter of the regs IMO.   So, I was a criminal with a clean bum.  ????

To order online, search "hand held bidet" or "shattaf" - Moslems use those for ritual cleansing before prayer, same item different name.

Shat af?

7 hours ago, Pravda said:

What is this obsession with bum guns? I really don't get it. I'm currently staying in a condo with "Japanese" toilet and I like so much taking a dump on the warm seat daily, so I decided to check prices in Canada as it will sure be welcome addition to those cold winter days. 

It's about 400 bucks at home depot, probably 10 times easier to install and 100x better. 

Probably very similar to the Japanese one I got from Toto (called a Washlet) and installed in my toilet in NZ.

Very easy to fit although you do need to have an electrical outlet nearby as it is electrically operated, as well as warming the seat if you want it, and warming the water for a nice gentle warm flush!

It also serves as a bidet for the ladies, with a turn of the switch, and the water pressure can be altered also.

Having said all of that, I'm more than happy with the standard Thai bum gun here, however I had to install a tap in the one I have in my apartment, because the water pressure was too high, so I could wind it back a little this way!

Edited by xylophone

Buy a bidet and have a plumber install it.  Bum guns are third world which is why you don't see them in the West.  Hiso Westerners use bidets. Much more fashionable.  You'll be the talk of the town.  ????

2 hours ago, m Stender said:

I have successful installed a bum gun in my bathroom in europe, but you should be aware  of the often much higher water pressure than in Thailand , and due to the quality the gun will very often leak.

Euuuuu.  Bum gun enema.  ????

fitted one for my sons new bathroom

From Amazon, i believe

came with twin connections to could connect to hot and cold pipes, plus had an adjuster on the wall fitting to adjust the temperature for the colder months

Good quality chrome finish

great for cleaning the toilet too, especially if you have small children

We installed one here from Amazon.  The water pressure will make you launch off and it can be quite cold, but its still superior to going raw with TP.  

I find that bidets, while warm and comfortable, don't have the cleaning power of pressure washing your rear with the fire hose bum gun.  YMMV.

6 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Yes I have installed several. The problem with the bum guns is that they are of such poor quality that they start leaking very quickly and you have to get rid of them. 

The 800฿ ones are much better.

I added them to my toilets in Scotland but rarely used them . Even wife gave up after a few weeks. As pointed out by most posters the water in northern Europe or Canada et al is TOO COLD.

My pal installed 2 in my house in UK and the water pressure is phenomenal here. I'm not technical, but there is an on/off valve where the flexi hose joins the copper pipe cold water feed. I have to close the valve and just open it slightly when I need to use the gun and then squeeze the trigger. Can't leave the valve in the on position as the water just leaks out of the gun premanently. Never minded the cold water whatever the season...IMO the benefits outweigh the alternative cleaning method..............

Had them installed in every bathroom both it Florida where is warm, and in New York where it gets very cold.

Not a problem.

Don't listen to comments about cold weather, The water you get is from the pipe in your bathroom under the toilet tank and it is room temperature. Sure if you got really into it and sprayed your ass for 10 minutes you might draw cold outside water. but most of us who get our kicks other ways we only use it for a few seconds. 

Plenty for sale at  Amazon. . the kit consists of a T valve , one end you connect the toilet tank and other end the spar gun, it comes with an attachment for hanging it on the toilet tank

Use the search term  " dipper sprayer"

image.png.58d02d188195abdda1f51a39ec067632.png

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Had them installed in every bathroom both it Florida where is warm, and in New York where it gets very cold.

Not a problem.

Don't listen to comments about cold weather, The water you get is from the pipe in your bathroom under the toilet tank and it is room temperature. Sure if you got really into it and sprayed your ass for 10 minutes you might draw cold outside water. but most of us who get our kicks other ways we only use it for a few seconds. 

Plenty for sale at  Amazon. . the kit consists of a T valve , one end you connect the toilet tank and other end the spar gun, it comes with an attachment for hanging it on the toilet tank

Use the search term  " dipper sprayer"

image.png.58d02d188195abdda1f51a39ec067632.png

don't listen to this guy, in Switzerland during the winter, the water is likely to be very cold, like a handful degrees over zero.

in winter, condensation routinely forms on the toilet tank because the water is so cold.

Edited by tgw

39 minutes ago, tgw said:

don't listen to this guy, in Switzerland during the winter, the water is likely to be very cold, like a handful degrees over zero.

in winter, condensation routinely forms on the toilet tank because the water is so cold.

splurge and use a little heat in your houses and  the water in your toilet ball would not be so cold. LOL

by the way if your toilet bowl sweats, it most likely means that you have a slow leak at the seal of your toilet bowl tank and water trickles continuedly into your toilet  bowl, Unless you flush the toilet very often, the water in your bowl should also be room temperature.