Wow, when I got my name added to the Yellow Book, it was not anywhere this hassle.  It was in another Province, but the only MFA document I had was my marriage certificate.     The funny thing about the US Embassy from what I have heard is that you can fill out a generic affadavit saying that you graduated from university on so and so day, or that you have no criminal record, or that you like to wear pink underwear... and they will sign it and stamp it (embossed) for a flat rate of 50