Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

It is the Resident Alien identity document issued to PR’s. Looks like an oversized red passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeh - PR’s .

From memory , it’s your ID. I never took it anywhere, so fragile , falls apart just sitting in a drawer. Had to dust it off once to do my 5 yearly police check

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 09/01/2018 at 7:02 PM, greenchair said:

Well other posters have said the same thing they didn't need a home country police clearance. 

And going by Neeranam post which is the latest application. they do not do the Thai clearance for you anymore. As I said, for me I has to go to my local police office first. 

I actually got a Thai police clearance a few years ago for my job from SB, but they didn't want that. Need a letter from the embassy.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I actually got a Thai police clearance a few years ago for my job from SB, but they didn't want that. Need a letter from the embassy.

No offence, but wp or jobs is different from citizenship. 

I understand many jobs require a police clearance,because employers are not able to access that information. 

I imagine when applying for citizenship your entire life's history would be quietly investigated by the NIA . Though people with old criminal records or minor offence with no imprisonment should not be worried. I had a few bad years when I was young. I still got passed.  

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

No offence, but wp or jobs is different from citizenship. 

I understand many jobs require a police clearance,because employers are not able to access that information. 

I imagine when applying for citizenship your entire life's history would be quietly investigated by the NIA . Though people with old criminal records or minor offence with no imprisonment should not be worried. I had a few bad years when I was young. I still got passed.  

I understand.

The embassy are providing the intent to renounce citizenship but say I have to apply to www.acpo.police.uk for police clearance. 

However, this looks like the wrong place to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I understand.

The embassy are providing the intent to renounce citizenship but say I have to apply to www.acpo.police.uk for police clearance. 

However, this looks like the wrong place to me.

That's good news re declaration of intent. Re police clearance, recent posts establish that you only need to get police clearance from the Thai police clearance office next door to SB, if you have a Bangkok address.  I don't think any embassies can do home country police clearance but that is only required for PR application.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

That's good news re declaration of intent. Re police clearance, recent posts establish that you only need to get police clearance from the Thai police clearance office next door to SB, if you have a Bangkok address.  I don't think any embassies can do home country police clearance but that is only required for PR application.

Looks promising, I went to SB, and of course they wanted a translation, but no need for legalization. They never mentioned Anything missing, and I'm glad I never gave the number of the pro Consul who gave me her card and for the SB to call her. 

I got one final letter, for the SB in Khon Kaen to verify who I am, where I live, kids, job,etc, then the check list the officer had will be complete, hopefully.

I only got my finger prints taken, never was asked to go next door, apart from to wash my hands. Maybe this happens later?

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Looks promising, I went to SB, and of course they wanted a translation, but no need for legalization. They never mentioned Anything missing, and I'm glad I never gave the number of the pro Consul who gave me her card and for the SB to call her. 

I got one final letter, for the SB in Khon Kaen to verify who I am, where I live, kids, job,etc, then the check list the officer had will be complete, hopefully.

I only got my finger prints taken, never was asked to go next door, apart from to wash my hands. Maybe this happens later?

Vice-consul.  Proconsul was a political rank in ancient Rome. Definitely a good idea not to pass on her number. You don't want her explaining in detail what they do with the declarations and the subsequent letters confirming granting of citizenship, i.e. circular filing cabinet.

• Like 1

I am in need of some advice. I am married, lived here 25+ years, proof of taxes, continuous visas, family, own company, speak/read/write Thai yada yadda, so in theory I have more than enough qualification points. So a few months back I visited the SB and received the checklist and went about collecting all the needed documents. Once I had that I returned with everything required.The officer started checking the docs and things were going smoothly, but when he realized I lived outside Bangkok in another province (albeit within 5 minutes walking) he advised me to go to my provincial police branch  that handles citizenship requests. After a few false starts I finally located someone who knows about it and scheduled an appointment. I waited an hour only to have a very junior officer, friendly, but not that knowledgeable (handled one previous application). He advised me that it would have to wait until next year ( this was November), and agreed I could call him in January to check again. Well I did that today and got the discouraging news that he could not even tell me when I could even submit my docs, much less  begin the process, as they had a long backlog of applicants. Could not/Would not even hazard a guess, only said it would be long time. Not at all encouraging. He did suggest that if I had a friend in Bangkok I could use their address and apply there, or something to that effect.Problem is I don't have anyone in Bangkok. While I know it's a slow process that can take years, I feel like this is a dead end, with no firm idea of when I can even apply, much less go through the evaluation process. What is frustrating is that the Bangkok SB was ready to accept everything right away and seemed to be on the ball and quite friendly. Anyhoo, if anyone has any suggestions on any way I could move this forward or apply through Bangkok it will be much appreciated. 

Thank you very much for your replies skyaslimit and NewlyMintedThai!

That matches what he was saying then.

I just finished getting my name on the tabian baan of our house and obtaining a matching ID. A couple of questions if I may:

1. If I get my name on a Bangkok tabian baan does my existing tabian baan registration need to be canceled?

2. Can I keep my current ID card and just get entered on a Bangkok tabian baan in Bangkok? Or do I need to update that as well?

3. Are the authorities going to ask why I am changing to a Bangkok registration? Are they going to ask for any proof I live there? Will this raise any questions/accusations during the application process?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my questions!

Edited by qualtrough

On 12/01/2018 at 5:39 PM, Arkady said:

Vice-consul.  Proconsul was a political rank in ancient Rome. Definitely a good idea not to pass on her number. You don't want her explaining in detail what they do with the declarations and the subsequent letters confirming granting of citizenship, i.e. circular filing cabinet.

It actually says pro consul as her official title. and in Thai poo chuay consul. The vice consul is a UK citizen

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Thank you very much for your replies skyaslimit and NewlyMintedThai!

That matches what he was saying then.

I just finished getting my name on the tabian baan of our house and obtaining a matching ID. A couple of questions if I may:

1. If I get my name on a Bangkok tabian baan does my existing tabian baan registration need to be canceled?

2. Can I keep my current ID card and just get entered on a Bangkok tabian baan in Bangkok? Or do I need to update that as well?

3. Are the authorities going to ask why I am changing to a Bangkok registration? Are they going to ask for any proof I live there? Will this raise any questions/accusations during the application process?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my questions!

1- yes just go to get your old yellow book cancelled. Throw the pink id card in the bin,  it's a waste of time. I kept mine from original address, but never asked for it.

3- yes they will ask you why, just say it's more convenient. The SB from my province are going to visit my address this week. The letter they are given, gives my address as Bangkok. So, according to the SB, no problem, but they said be prepared to answer the MOI about this.

Many many Thais don't live where they are registered on the blue book.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

1- yes just go to get your old yellow book cancelled. Throw the pink id card in the bin,  it's a waste of time. I kept mine from original address, but never asked for it.

3- yes they will ask you why, just say it's more convenient. The SB from my province are going to visit my address this week. The letter they are given, gives my address as Bangkok. So, according to the SB, no problem, but they said be prepared to answer the MOI about this.

Many many Thais don't live where they are registered on the blue book.

Thanks Neeranam. If I understand what you are saying, you are in the same situation as I am (living outside BKK) and registered in Bangkok, is that correct? Is your local SB going to visit your provincial home or the one in Bangkok? Does everyone know and understand that you don't really live there and this was simply to make the process easier, or do you have to pretend like you are actually living in Bangkok? Is the MOI cool with this type of arrangement too? When you say 'more convenient', in the sense that it is more convenient for your application, or convenient for other reasons (work?), etc.? The process makes me a bit nervous, but it looks like there is no alternative other than waiting for the next life.

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It actually says pro consul as her official title. and in Thai poo chuay consul. The vice consul is a UK citizen

I stand corrected. British embassies seem to use this title for locally engaged staff who are junior to the vice-consuls. Seems a bit odd to use it for such a menial position because the original proconsuls were grandiose and some ruled most of the known world for stretches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've been asked to go to the ministry of education for an interview.

Probably because I'm a teacher.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Quite a few teachers have applied (and many have already been successful), since the 2008 amendment that allowed husbands of Thai citizens to bypass PR and none have reported being asked to do this, although they might have just not mentioned it.  Perhaps the MoI is getting concerned by the number of teachers applying and wants further confirmation of their qualifications. If that is the case, you should have no problem passing but it does seem rather odd and is an added inconvenience. 

18 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Quite a few teachers have applied (and many have already been successful), since the 2008 amendment that allowed husbands of Thai citizens to bypass PR and none have reported being asked to do this, although they might have just not mentioned it.  Perhaps the MoI is getting concerned by the number of teachers applying and wants further confirmation of their qualifications. If that is the case, you should have no problem passing but it does seem rather odd and is an added inconvenience. 

Very inconvenient! Especially if they want my degrees verified again. The SB have the translation, legalization of them already.

Strange the SB never mentioned this to me last week.

15 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Perhaps this is the NIA interview. Mine, in Sept 2017, took place in a food court at the Ministry of Education.

Let's hope so, waiting for the woman to call back.

Edited by Neeranam

4 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Perhaps this is the NIA interview. Mine, in Sept 2017, took place in a food court at the Ministry of Education.

Indeed.the woman called back and confirmed it was the NIA and not the MoE !

She initially phoned during an extremely loud mor lam/Buddhist/Hindu ceremony for "wan khru"

What a relief! Things are moving faster than I thought. Also spoke to the SB chief at the local amphur while waiting for my kids' new passports. He's getting a team together to check my house, and to answer a previous question from qualtrough, everybody seems ok with this. The letter I have him had my Bangkok address on it. They just said day, more convenient and not to elaborate.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed.the woman called back and confirmed it was the NIA and not the MoE !

She initially phoned during an extremely loud mor lam/Buddhist/Hindu ceremony for "wan khru"

What a relief! Things are moving faster than I thought. Also spoke to the SB chief at the local amphur while waiting for my kids' new passports. He's getting a team together to check my house, and to answer a previous question from qualtrough, everybody seems ok with this. The letter I have him had my Bangkok address on it. They just said day, more convenient and not to elaborate.

That's sounds more like it.

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've been asked to go to the ministry of education for an interview.

Probably because I'm a teacher.

Has anyone heard of this before?

While my tabien baan was in Bangkok, the NIA arranged the interview at the office of the Provincial Administrative Organisation of the province I was working in. 

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

If my friend has done a degree in Thailand and has had wp for 6 years, can she apply citizenship by that path. 

If she has a Thai husband and her marriage has been registered for 3 years (1 year if they have a child together), she can apply.  WP and Thai degree make no difference in that case, as they mainly look at the hubby's details.  If she is not married to a Thai, she needs to get PR first and she should qualify for that already, if she has been working with WP for 6 years, as long as she meets the salary requirement which is more than it is for citizenship.  A Thai degree would help there and might reduce the salary requirement.  It will also reduce salary requirement, if applying for citizenship on the basis of PR.  You need to have PR for 5 years to qualify for citizenship.     

On 12/28/2017 at 9:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

The rules indirectly say you can apply for being the parent of a Thai. But the catch is that you need to be the legal parent of your child by way of marriage or legitimization. I don't recall any reports of anybody getting citizenship solely based upon being the parent of a Thai.

From: Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

The other option is to apply for permanent residency first and then citizenship.

What is the difference between naturalisation and citizenship?