BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Thanks. For me they did not even request a copy of my naturalization certificate. The only strange request was a copy of my wife's death certificate, but when I pointed out that she was already marked as dead in my son's house registration book, they said that was sufficient. I still do not know why they wanted it, unless, as you point out, it is because it would become conjugal property.

One funny point was that they said my name in my son's house registration was wrong as it did not match my ID card. I had to point out that they were looking at my son's entry and not mine. My son has an English name too but no middle name. They were a bit embarrassed about that. 

Despite the stress involved and the long wait (although much shorter than most), it has certainly proved worth it in the long run.  Next on my list is getting a new ID card based on my new house registration and then renewing my driving license based on my ID card instead of passport. Then all my documents will match. My OCD tendencies coming into play there.   :smile: 

I suppose it's up the individual land offices what docs they want to ask for.  Since they have access to BORA's database they can easily verify a person's ID card and tabien baan and print out copies for themselves within seconds which would far more reliable than a photocopy of a naturalisation certificate which could easily be forged along with copies of the ID card and tabian baan. 

On 05/07/2016 at 4:57 PM, GarryP said:

Here you go, with convoluted Thai translation thrown in taken from a copy of the Declaration I submitted:

"In connection with my recent application for naturalization as a Thai citizen, I do solemnly and sincerely swear that I intend to renounce my British citizenship when I have received permission from the competent Thai authorities to become naturalized as a Thai citizen."

Declaration.JPG

Went to discuss my docs with officer in BKK today to ensure all ok before submitting. Re the Embassy letter about intention to renounce current nationality, he said that they will provide the letter and wording and you then take this to the embassy to sign and get official acknowledgement. He couldn't give me a copy of the letter yet - does anyone have a copy - or is the above text from that letter which they provide ? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, regedit said:

Went to discuss my docs with officer in BKK today to ensure all ok before submitting. Re the Embassy letter about intention to renounce current nationality, he said that they will provide the letter and wording and you then take this to the embassy to sign and get official acknowledgement. He couldn't give me a copy of the letter yet - does anyone have a copy - or is the above text from that letter which they provide ? Thanks.

No letter was provided to me and in fact there was no formal letter at that time. I wrote the content based on what Arkady suggested. 

Minister hard to find out unless you keep in contact with SB. For Royal Gazette it's easy - just got to:-

http://www.mratchakitcha.soc.go.th

Click on search magnifying glass

Copy and paste the below
การได้สัญชาติไทย

October 2015 Lamluka interview - only just October 2016 announced in RG

So about 1 year

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, subi2014 said:

Dear skippybangkok if you know about minister approval interview batch 31 May 2016.please share .Q1,Q2,Q3 I don't understand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think the Q is for the quarters of the year.

A off topic post that would derail this topic has been removed.

I was going to start the application process this month.

I did the first step, which the Special Branch told me -  transfer my Tabien Baan to the province where I actually  work and live, which was no bother, apart from a 1000 km round trip.

Would you advise to wait for a month or more?

Edited by Johnniey

On 10/3/2016 at 6:25 PM, Alive said:

The only thing negative I've heard is if you are arrested for any crime under Thai law including political crimes, you will get zero assistance from your other nation of citizenship. I would guess you might not get assistance with evacuation during threats to citizens of that other nationality as well. If you are victim of human rights abuse by your new adopted nation, as a citizen of that nation are on your own. Maybe international organizations would help you but your original nation of citizenship won't. So long as you keep your mouth shut and are submissive, you will have no problems. You may have to endure seeing others suffer too. Speaking out too much on their behalf in Thailand could land you in jail too without anyone from that former nation fighting for your release.

Still, if you put business and personal happiness before free speech and human rights, you probably won't have a problem.

I think the assistance that dual nationals get from their embassy depends on the nationality.  American consular officials are prohibited from treating dual nationals any differently from single national Americans.  In some US consulates, e.g. the ones in Mexico along the US border virtually all the consular assistance provided to US citizens in involves dual national Mexicans with US citizenship, many of whom can speak very little English.  Nevertheless, the consular staff dutifully show up to visit them in prison etc.  If you recall there was a case of dual Thai-American who was imprisoned in Thailand for LM and the US ambo was quite vocal in her provision of consular assistance, upsetting many Thais.

If you are British, the UK government warns you that they may not be in a position to provide you with consular assistance if you have problems in a country where you also have citizenship.  Anyway the way things have gone with UK consular assistance, you are sadly unlikely to get much assistance from them, even if you don't have another nationality.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 6:28 PM, Johnniey said:

I was going to start the application process this month.

I did the first step, which the Special Branch told me -  transfer my Tabien Baan to the province where I actually  work and live, which was no bother, apart from a 1000 km round trip.

Would you advise to wait for a month or more?

Not necessary.  People have successfully applied for citizenship the day after getting in a tabian baan. There is no seasoning requirement.  The only issue is whether SB in your province is able and willing to process applications for citizenship,. since Bkk is the only SB office that has a dedicated department for it.

• Like 1

I never had any issues or long waits using my american passport getting into Thailand.... however omg when using my thai passport its better than having a fastpass at disneyland.

I was born and raised american... i didnt get my thai citizenship until i was 40 (thai parents). but If i had to apply the way you did i would have never ever qualified or gotten my citizenship... umm on a side note all thai citizens are technically required to serve in the military... I managed to bypass this because i obtained my citizenship at such a late age. Most thai people are somewhat shocked when they find out i never served.  I was curious has there been any discussion about you having to serve?