Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

The documents go from SB to NIA then back to SB?

Then from SB to MOI

Just from SB to MOI. NIA interview went as if they knew nothing about me (My first questions were 'Name, Surname, birth date...')

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

9 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Just from SB to MOI. NIA interview went as if they knew nothing about me (My first questions were 'Name, Surname, birth date...')

I was told atter the NIA interviews they do a background check in your home country. Is it possible that could be a hold up.

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

I was told atter the NIA interviews they do a background check in your home country. Is it possible that could be a hold up.

One of the letters addressed to the British embassy asked for a background check. The embassy said they don't do this. 

Online, the process involves going to SB in Bangkok, which is a bit confusing.

SB seemed happy without getting it, but the NIA never told me they would do such a background check.

The police in khon kaen held up the process for a month, coming round to the house, then asking us to go to the police station with a witness to sign some things to send to SB in Bkk.

Edited by Neeranam

22 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

It's been 12 months since I decided to apply in March 2017 and started collecting documents. Here I am, one year later, same for me... my file has not yet been sent to MOI. My NIA interview was in September 2017.

From recent successful applicants data, I already expected something like

- 1 year for gathering documents, dealing with SB and having them to send the application to MOI
- 1 year around MOI getting the documents, scheduling the interview and issuing the result
- 1 year around the finalization of the approval (signatures, oath, official letter, ID issuance)
Total 3 years -which I understand is almost the best timeline one can get-.

We'll see...

How long between dropping the documents at SB and getting the SB interview with the SB boss?

On 3/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

It's been 12 months since I decided to apply in March 2017 and started collecting documents. Here I am, one year later, same for me... my file has not yet been sent to MOI. My NIA interview was in September 2017.

From recent successful applicants data, I already expected something like

- 1 year for gathering documents, dealing with SB and having them to send the application to MOI
- 1 year around MOI getting the documents, scheduling the interview and issuing the result
- 1 year around the finalization of the approval (signatures, oath, official letter, ID issuance)
Total 3 years -which I understand is almost the best timeline one can get-.

We'll see...

I always used to pop in and ask them how things were going. 

If it was new years or something I always took a basket. 

I think it really helps if you develop a friendly relationship with them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

I always used to pop in and ask them how things were going. 

If it was new years or something I always took a basket. 

I think it really helps if you develop a friendly relationship with them. 

Different office for women adopting thai citizenship

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

What's that got to do with the price of fish. 

He can still pop in and inquire about his case at his respective office. 

However, I am surprised. So, am correct in my understanding that there is a special office only for women marrying thai men and applying for citizenship. 

Because I saw many many men at SB when I was there. 

And at the NIA there were many men. 

And at the MoI there were foreigner men, women, black, white, Chinese lao , all mixed in together to apply for citizenship. 

Imagine that ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Same building from memory. Men apply downstairs on the ground floor. Women's office is upstairs on the 4th floor from memory.

Nice enough up there, were very helpful for us. We didn't really need to check in much and everything went along the timeline we expected (ie they contacted us when anything needed to be done). Particularly helpful when we had to put the application on hold for 3 and a bit years due to leaving Thailand for a few years, and they did the co-ordinating with the MOI for that.

Gave them a big basket full of OZ/NZ goodies when my wife's name was printed in the Royal Gazette.

• Thanks 1

The SB very kindly went through all my documentation a few weeks back and then neatly wrapped up everything that was OK so I can just give that to them as a pile next visit. The only docs needing fixing was my marriage cert and another year of ผ.ง.ด. 91. Marriage cert had my middle name misspelled, didn't match my other docs. Fixed that at the Amphur, they give you a document to attach to your marriage certificate indicating the name correction.  That took an hour or so. I have the second ผ.ง.ด. 91 now as well. The other issue was changing my residence to Bangkok, which they were quite happy to advise me was just fine. I needed to do that because my neighboring provincial officials were not very helpful and could not even tell me when I could begin the process. That operation went surprisingly smoothly. Went to the Tesabal to get a stamp in my Tambian Bahn indicating I am moving out, and then went to a Bangkok office to get a new tabian bahn and ID card.  That only took an hour. So, knock on wood, it looks like I am all set to pay a visit to the SB to submit all my documentation this week. Here's my question. Regarding the two witnesses, can my father-in-law be one, or do they have to be non-family members?

P.S. So far the SB people have been exceedingly kind and helpful. Also, thanks to everyone here who has provided information on the process.

Edited by qualtrough

On 10/03/2018 at 9:59 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Guy at the next table to me couldn't tell his date of birth!

I just remember I have one more document to go. A letter from my embassy stating I have reached the age of legal majority. Is this something the US Embassy does? Do they have a stock format? I was provided with an example from a South American country, from the embassy addressed to the SB and stating that according to the Law xx of the Republic of xxx Mr. xxx has reached the age of legal majority. Many thanks for anyone who can advise me of how to obtain this from the US embassy, or point out if has been discussed earlier this thread (page number?).

1 minute ago, qualtrough said:

I just remember I have one more document to go. A letter from my embassy stating I have reached the age of legal majority. Is this something the US Embassy does? Do they have a stock format? I was provided with an example from a South American country, from the embassy addressed to the SB and stating that according to the Law xx of the Republic of xxx Mr. xxx has reached the age of legal majority. Many thanks for anyone who can advise me of how to obtain this from the US embassy, or point out if has been discussed earlier this thread (page number?).

Who is asking for that? Its not something i was asked for.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, qualtrough said:

Here's my question. Regarding the two witnesses, can my father-in-law be one, or do they have to be non-family members?

The document I got in March last year said non-family members ( พยานจะต้องไม่ใช่ญาติพี่น้องของตนเอง หรือญาติพี่น้องของคู่สมรส) and I assume this didn't change.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Who is asking for that? Its not something i was asked for.

The SB officer handling my case at the SB about 3-4 weeks ago was the one who told me that. Does anyone know if there is a boilerplate form that the US will hand out upon request? The example I was show was from an embassy and addressed to the SB officer, stating that the applicant meets all legal requirements for majority. In other words, it doesn't look like a letter I can type up and have notarized by the embassy.

4 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

The document I got in March last year said non-family members ( พยานจะต้องไม่ใช่ญาติพี่น้องของตนเอง หรือญาติพี่น้องของคู่สมรส) and I assume this didn't change.

OK, thanks. Looks like the FIL is out then.

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

The SB officer handling my case at the SB about 3-4 weeks ago was the one who told me that. Does anyone know if there is a boilerplate form that the US will hand out upon request? The example I was show was from an embassy and addressed to the SB officer, stating that the applicant meets all legal requirements for majority. In other words, it doesn't look like a letter I can type up and have notarized by the embassy.

Update: I just visited the US Embassy web site to see if I can find any info on that but I could not. I called them, but when the I entered the number to talk to the notarization section it didn't respond. I have been unable to find an email address that I could use to ask them about this. So far I have been unable to come up with any information. All I have is a letter given to me by the SB as an example, which was from a South American embassy.

Update 2: I finally was able to locate an email address, so I will see if the embassy can tell me anything.

Edited by qualtrough

9 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Update: I just visited the US Embassy web site to see if I can find any info on that but I could not. I called them, but when the I entered the number to talk to the notarization section it didn't respond. I have been unable to find an email address that I could use to ask them about this. So far I have been unable to come up with any information. All I have is a letter given to me by the SB as an example, which was from a South American embassy.

I am certain you will do it as a affidavit. You write it yourself as a statement on a blank affidavit template they have.

Best to contact them by email. Contact info for the ACS follows. 

For more information, please call +66-2-205-4049 from outside of Thailand or 02-205-4049 within Thailand or you may contact ACS by email at [email protected].  The ACS fax number is +66-2-205-4103 from outside of Thailand or 02-205-4103 within Thailand.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am certain you will do it as a affidavit. You write it yourself as a statement on a blank affidavit template they have.

Best to contact them by email. Contact info for the ACS follows. 

Thank you. I did write them and received that answer, namely that I must write up astatement and then have it witnessed as an affidavit. If anyone here has a sample of the ideal wording to use for that it would be much appreciated.

The example from a S. American country cited relevant local law. What worries me is that the example shown was from a government entity, whereas I am going to be writing a letter saying that I have reached the age of legal majority (duh). That doesn't seem very authoritative to me, as anyone could write that letter and have it witnessed. I really want to be sure about this as I will be spending $50 for that,  plus need to get it translated, etc.

On 12/03/2018 at 6:47 PM, qualtrough said:

Were you given 4 envelopes?

I was given one for the amphur, where we got married, one to choose a Thai name from my Bangkok khet, and two for the embassy.

On 3/13/2018 at 6:02 PM, yankee99 said:

Can someone give me the website to check name availability?

Also any tips on how to choose a name ? i remember reading here that some people had issues with this.

I went to my Amphur (Minburi) the officer guided us with the names as they have first name and family name database. My wife selected the names and they gave the document. Though the officer clearly mentioned, don't worry you no need to change your name its just a formality only. Another paper to the bunch of papers.....;) 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2018 at 2:06 PM, qualtrough said:

Thank you. I did write them and received that answer, namely that I must write up astatement and then have it witnessed as an affidavit. If anyone here has a sample of the ideal wording to use for that it would be much appreciated.

The example from a S. American country cited relevant local law. What worries me is that the example shown was from a government entity, whereas I am going to be writing a letter saying that I have reached the age of legal majority (duh). That doesn't seem very authoritative to me, as anyone could write that letter and have it witnessed. I really want to be sure about this as I will be spending $50 for that,  plus need to get it translated, etc.

I got an affidavit  at the British Embassy that affirmed I had reached the age of majority in the UK and got it translated and MFA notarised only to be told by SB that I should have asked them beforehand because they only needed this from certain countries, for some odd reason, and the UK was not one of them.  So they didn't take it.  Obviously it is a pointless requirement for anyone aged over 21 because no country in the world is likely to have an age of majority more than that and anyway people under 40 hardly ever apply. 

The problem is that this silly requirement is still in the regulations which means that SB, as the gate keepers, are entitled to ask for it, although the MoI will not ask for verification that it was provided. That could lead to serious problems for UK applicants because the British Embassy in its continuous quest to reduce services provided to UK citizens to as little as possible now refuses to do affidavits except for a very narrowly defined list, e.g. affidavit of freedom to marry, verification of pension income.  Fortunately they still do the declaration of intent for now (but for how long?), although it is not on the narrowly defined list, but they are unlikely do this one and would quite likely just refer you to some general information that says there is no specific age of majority in UK law but that it is different for different things, e.g. voting, getting married, having sex, joining the army, drinking alcohol, being made a ward of court, being tried as an adult etc.

Hopefully the US and other embassies will still do this, if SB demands it, but definitely check with SB first if it is really required for your country before trying to get it.  

• Like 1

Hello Choonsan and BaanBKK as you both got published to RTG last November, may I ask if you got your Thai ID card already? I remember you applied both in the beginning of 2016 and I think you're in the race of being the fastest processed applicants. Thanks to let us know.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey