Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

42 minutes ago, Arkady said:

This is totally a form over substance situation.  They don't care that having 60k in your account for only one day is utterly meaningless.  They only care that all the t's are crossed and i's dotted.  Actually it is just a part of the initiative and endurance testing to make sure you are fit for Thai citizenship.

It's 80k now.

Re the test of endurance, how true. Part of that is I think also giving you the chance to grease their palms. The local constabulary came round to my house (in that provinces, not BKk)to check a few things. The guy doing the talking, made a joke about my watch, and a senior politician. 1 month later said we had to go and fill in a form as he was busy. 3 weeks later, called me and asked for a minor detail regarding to my job. So what could have been done in a day has taken over two months, as I refuse to bribe them.

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's 80k now.

Re the test of endurance, how true. Part of that is I think also giving you the chance to grease their palms. The local constabulary came round to my house (in that provinces, not BKk)to check a few things. The guy doing the talking, made a joke about my watch, and a senior politician. 1 month later said we had to go and fill in a form as he was busy. 3 weeks later, called me and asked for a minor detail regarding to my job. So what could have been done in a day has taken over two months, as I refuse to bribe them.

At least better than police in most provinces outside Bangkok who just refuse to do it because it is too hard.   

• 2 weeks later...

Not much discussion about how long between steps in 2018. 

14 months after the summary letter saying all had been passed on to MOI, I got a call on a Thursday saying to be at MOI on Monday morning.

Now it is 7 months after that relaxed and easy interview in the big room with 15 or so people.

Is the next step to wait for a call from Special Branch RTP about an oath? 

Any educated guesses of when to expect it? Any suggestions of who  to contact about it before leaving TH for 6 weeks?

Thanks.

J

13 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Not much discussion about how long between steps in 2018. 

14 months after the summary letter saying all had been passed on to MOI, I got a call on a Thursday saying to be at MOI on Monday morning.

Now it is 7 months after that relaxed and easy interview in the big room with 15 or so people.

Is the next step to wait for a call from Special Branch RTP about an oath? 

Any educated guesses of when to expect it? Any suggestions of who  to contact about it before leaving TH for 6 weeks?

Thanks.

J

7 months ago you had your moi interview in front of 15?  Now they want you to go back to the moi on monday?

7 hours ago, yankee99 said:

7 months ago you had your moi interview in front of 15?  Now they want you to go back to the moi on monday?

No.

I was just giving some background timeline.

No contact since the MOI interview 7 months ago.

Just want to confirm what' s next and see if anyone has recent timeline input.

Gets a bit exciting at tbis point..  like watching a turtle.

J

15 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Just want to confirm what' s next and see if anyone has recent timeline input.

Based on recent successful applicants feedback: the time to receive the MOI approval letter (through SB) after the MOI interview ranges from 1 to 8 months.

I wish you good luck and to receive the good news very soon!

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

... MOI approval letter (through SB) after the MOI interview ranges from 1 to 8 months.

I wish you good luck and to receive the good news very soon!

Thank you. So SB will send me a letter next? Then there is publishing the result in the royal gazette? Then an oath at SB? Then the Thai ID?

I have read all 241 pages at some point, but still not sure how these steps actually go down.

J

Btw- I had been told it would be best to maintain the work permit until the MOI interview. I did and took it with me, but they didnt want to see it. Actually, NO docs were needed at the interview, but I had a bag full!

Edited by Kwarium
Add work permit thoughts.
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Thank you. So SB will send me a letter next? Then there is publishing the result in the royal gazette? Then an oath at SB? Then the Thai ID?

I have read all 241 pages at some point, but still not sure how these steps actually go down.

J

Btw- I had been told it would be best to maintain the work permit until the MOI interview. I did and took it with me, but they didnt want to see it. Actually, NO docs were needed at the interview, but I had a bag full!

From what I know (but haven't been through yet) it's:

MOI approval -> SB informs you -> The oath is scheduled -> Your name gets published to the RTG -> SB issues the citizenship certificate -> You can proceed to get the ID card.

13 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

From what I know (but haven't been through yet) it's:

MOI approval -> SB informs you -> The oath is scheduled -> Your name gets published to the RTG -> SB issues the citizenship certificate -> You can proceed to get the ID card.

Thanks for that! Makes sense that oath would precede the publishing.

Have you got your summary letter listing all the details being passed on to MOI yet? 

My call to meet MOI came in Aug. 2017. That was 24 months 10 days after getting the summary letter.

Be patient!

5 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Have you got your summary letter listing all the details being passed on to MOI yet? 

Not yet. It's been 12 months since my first visit to SB, I know my file is ready queuing for a while, but it's radio silence from SB at the moment.

Silly question: What happens if they send you a letter with an interview date but you are not able to make it on that date? Either because of an important business meeting, or overseas travels, or overseas business travels?

Last August when I got the Thurs. call to go to MOI on Mon., I was headed out to the airport and had overseas guests. I asked for the following week or month and was told it would be a bad idea to pass it up. 

He told me to add him on Line and that is how I got my appt. letter.

I chose to be there as requested. Arrived early, waited 5 hours for a 4 minute interview. 40 people in the room but only 15 at the main cinference tables. They introduced me as I stood out of sight, they even said how many points I had. Then wife and I were ushered to our places at the long table.

7 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Last August when I got the Thurs. call to go to MOI on Mon., I was headed out to the airport and had overseas guests. I asked for the following week or month and was told it would be a bad idea to pass it up. 

I chose to be there as requested. Arrived early, waited 5 hours for a 4 minute interview. 40 people in the room but only 15 at the main cinference tables. They introduced me as I stood out of sight, they even said how many points I had. Then wife and I were ushered to our places at the long table.

Did you do the interview in thai

Can you share the details of how it went? 

18 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Well noted, thanks. Gee, and on such notice too.

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

It’s interesting that you heared them introduce you. Because the number of points you get is not mentioned on the covering letter that goes to the MOI (just that you passed) I had always assumed they were not informed at all.

i also got about 3 days notice for my MOI interview and the letter arrived after I had done the interview. But my SB officer called ahead and sent a copy of the letter by fax. I also waited 5 hours for my interview and the waiting was rather tense for me, as I had to sing and the interview including the two songs was 15 minutes alone, applying on the basis of PR.

The 15 people at the table are the members of the sub-committee representing the agencies listed in the Nationality Act of which just over half are MOI departments. I met one of mine later, who remembered me and he was number 2 in the Bangkok firearms licensing office which is part of DOPA. The ones who sit around the room are assistants and some SB officers. In my case my wife talked her way in and sat with them too but luckily I didn’t notice her till near the end or I probably would have been put off my singing (we hadn’t registered our marriage long enough for me to apply on the basis of marriage).

3 hours ago, Kwarium said:

In the past your points were never revealed beyond SB. So it would seem that now the MOI is reconfirming that you do indeed have the requisite points.  I was never told how many points I had. 

9 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

I spoke Thai at my interview. A few things I didnt catch and defered to my wife on. I'm pretty sure I answered at least once unrelated to the Q asked!

Yes, I was surprised that the number of points was mentioned, as many comments here state those only concerned SB in the past.

I thought it was very Thai, to call us in from the benches on the 2nd floor corridor, through the double doors and then have us stop just inside. There is a tall partition wall that forms a kind of foyer, keeping those in the hallway from seeing into the conference room.

You know how stage singers here often begin to sing before appearing on stage? I think they are going for that added drama! Lol.

I was in suit and tie, wife in a conservative blouse and dressy pants. I resisted the urge to break out in song as we were led around the wall!

I greeted all and waied before being seated at a desk at the opened end of the long U shaped confetence table, back towards the partion wall.

A smiling gentleman 12 meters opposite greeted us and asked me the basic chit chat questions; like any taxi driver who hears a farang speak thai.

My wife commented it was like talking to an old friend or neighbors. She and I shared the mic, as he asked her a few things, too. There were no serious or surprising questions actually. (Relationship, jobs, future plans...) I was relaxed enough to get a few laughs, (I spoke my 5 words of lao when asked if i knew any) and made eye contact around the table as I spoke.

People were reviewing docs and making a few notes. He asked if anyone else had any Qs and no one did.

We were done and out in 4 minutes, smiles all around. I asked questions of the staff we met during the waiting. She said we were there on a good day as this guy was happy and other guys can be grouchy.

I would advise all to chill and relax. This MOI interview at the DOPA building is one of those unknowns you can easily over think! 

Good luck to all!

very informative post thanks

5 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Is someone able to confirm whether employment in Thailand is a prerequisite for citizenship and if so, is there an earnings level and time period involved.  Many thanks.

Yes you will need 3 years of tax returns 

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

Is someone able to confirm whether employment in Thailand is a prerequisite for citizenship and if so, is there an earnings level and time period involved.  Many thanks.

If not married to a Thai you have to have permanent residency and proof of a income of 80k baht income from working for 3 years.

If married to a Thai the required income is 40k baht, permanent residency is not required and be on extension of stay for 3 years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If not married to a Thai you have to have permanent residency and proof of a income of 80k baht income from working for 3 years.

If married to a Thai the required income is 40k baht, permanent residency is not required and be on extension of stay for 3 years.

Thank you Joe. I am married and am on 1 year extension based on retirement.  If i were to accept this job offer from the local school i would clearly need a work permit, but how does that affect my current visa and, would i have to start the non O all over again if it didn't work out?

3 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Thank you Joe. I am married and am on 1 year extension based on retirement.  If i were to accept this job offer from the local school i would clearly need a work permit, but how does that affect my current visa and, would i have to start the non O all over again if it didn't work out?

You didn't say if you were married to a Thai or a foreigner.  If married to a Thai you could switch to an extension based on marriage to a Thai and would be permitted to work on that visa.  Thus the end of job would not affect your visa status.  Otherwise you must get a non-B visa which would be tied up with your working status and would have to restart the non-O process again if the job came to an end.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

You would not normally be able to get work permit with an extension based upon retirement.

You would have to change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. You can only do the change when your current extension ends. If wanting to do it earlier you would have to leave the country to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not normally be able to get work permit with an extension based upon retirement.

You would have to change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. You can only do the change when your current extension ends. If wanting to do it earlier you would have to leave the country to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

I did say to immigration last time that i may want to work so an extension based on marriage would be better and he said it shouldn't  make any difference at kalasin dept of employment as they were both one year, and as i met the requirements for retirement he would do that.  Could be a timing problem if i need to change as term starts in may and my extension renewal is in june.

2 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I did say to immigration last time that i may want to work so an extension based on marriage would be better and he said it shouldn't  make any difference at kalasin dept of employment as they were both one year, and as i met the requirements for retirement he would do that.  Could be a timing problem if i need to change as term starts in may and my extension renewal is in june.

All you can do is check to find out if they will accept a work permit application with an extension based upon retirement. Most offices will not accept the applicaion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All you can do is check to find out if they will accept a work permit application with an extension based upon retirement. Most offices will not accept the applicaion.

I thought the retirement stamp says you can't work? 

• Thanks 1