Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

7 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I thought the retirement stamp says you can't work? 

Looking at now, doesnt say cant work. The blue extension is over stamped with a red Retirement.  Gives the impression that the same would be over stamped with a red Marriage 

On 03/04/2018 at 1:02 AM, Kwarium said:

Not much discussion about how long between steps in 2018. 

14 months after the summary letter saying all had been passed on to MOI, I got a call on a Thursday saying to be at MOI on Monday morning.

Firstly, thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I've had the interview with the NIA.

How long after that interview did you get the summary letter?

I guess this is the next thing I have to wait for. I got the interview in January.

Interesting that you didn't need to show your WP at the MOI.

I'm hanging onto a job just in case I am asked for it.

14 months to wait for the MOI interview,  damn, I was hoping for a few months, maybe 1 year max.

Does everyone get a letter saying the docs have been passed onto the MOI?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, Neeranam said:

Firstly, thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I've had the interview with the NIA.

How long after that interview did you get the summary letter?

I guess this is the next thing I have to wait for. I got the interview in January.

Interesting that you didn't need to show your WP at the MOI.

I'm hanging onto a job just in case I am asked for it.

14 months to wait for the MOI interview,  damn, I was hoping for a few months, maybe 1 year max.

Does everyone get a letter saying the docs have been passed onto the MOI?

Last week I got the information that my file has been passed to MOI recently. It's been 5.5 months after NIA for me, and overall 12 months after my first contact with SB. I didn't get the copy of the summary letter as I totally forgot to ask this during my phone call. I'll plan a visit to SB soon in order to get it, and I'll probably bring some cakes or Thai sweets for the occasion.

5 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Last week I got the information that my file has been passed to MOI recently. It's been 5.5 months after NIA for me, and overall 12 months after my first contact with SB. I didn't get the copy of the summary letter as I totally forgot to ask this during my phone call. I'll plan a visit to SB soon in order to get it, and I'll probably bring some cakes or Thai sweets for the occasion.

That is pretty quick. Much quicker than it used to be. They must have cleared most of the backlog by now. Good luck.

On 08/04/2018 at 7:13 PM, Neeranam said:

It has been said many times here that one can not apply for citizenship on a retirement visa, or whatever it is called. Am I missing something?

Can you now get a WP on a retirement visa?

He would need to change to an extension based upon marriage when his current extension based upon retirement ends.

There have been reports of a few work permit offices issuing one with a an extension based upon retirement. Some will issue one with the stipulation that the extension would have to be changed when the current one ends

On 4/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai the required income is 40k baht, permanent residency is not required and be on extension of stay for 3 years.

Are the requirements for such cases comprehensively documented somewhere?

I have now submitted all my docs (need to update two) and was told I currently have a score of 43 before the language test, scheduled soon. That was lower than I expected from what I read here earlier. I asked to see the criteria and was told that it was not for viewing.  Can anyone point me to the page which contains the scoring points?

Also, while IMHO I am very proficient in Thai reading/writing/speaking/understanding, I am a bit worried about the test as I need to get a 7/10 to get 50 points. Can anyone tell me the format and what is involved?

Third and final question. If I don't get the required points can the test be re-taken? Can additional documents be submitted/update that might boost a score?

Edited by qualtrough

34 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

points should be here

Be careful, this thread is 7 years old and the points have changed as I remember.

When I applied last year I compiled this table, so unless this changed it is:

25 = Security of Profession (married>60K/month => 25.) Others I'm not sure

15 = Educational Level  (Bachelor=>5, Master=>10, Dr=>15)           

10 = Age  (41-50=>10, 51-60=>8, 31-40 and 60+=>4, less than 30=>2)     

20 = Residence in Thailand  (yellow book 5 years=>5, 5 years PR=>10, 7 years PR=>15, 10 years PR=>20)  

15 = Knowledge of Thai Language (speak/understand=>8, anthems=>2, read=>2, write=>3)
10 = General Knowledge about Thailand

5 = Personality

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

Just now, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Ah ok - sorry, my mistake. I wrongly thought the change was more recent than 2010.

You are not wrong. There has been a change in how points are awarded for Thai language skills. When I was tested I did not have the opportunity to get points for being able to read Thai because reading and writing was tied to singing the Royal and National Anthems (something I did not need to do as my application was based on marriage - and something I had no intention of doing anyway). It is my understanding that this is now not the case and that the points are issued for 1)spoken Thai and listening comprehension, 2) reading, 3) writing, and 4) singing the anthems. So under the current practice,  you could still get points for reading and writing without having to sing the anthems. 

Thanks everyone for the links on the criteria. I am losing  a lot of points because my declared income is 40,000 baht per my financial statements from my accts. It is actually higher, but that's what my accts came up with and if I revise that I am sure that will open up a new can of worms.

I was told by my case officer the other day that the Thai test counts for 10 points, but if I remember from the links it said 15? In any case, does anyone have any fairly recent info on what you are asked to do/know as far as the thai test? Format? What kind of knowledge of Thailand is expected? Is that part multiple choice?

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks everyone for the links on the criteria. I am losing  a lot of points because my declared income is 40,000 baht per my financial statements from my accts. It is actually higher, but that's what my accts came up with and if I revise that I am sure that will open up a new can of worms.

I was told by my case officer the other day that the Thai test counts for 10 points, but if I remember from the links it said 15? In any case, does anyone have any fairly recent info on what you are asked to do/know as far as the thai test? Format? What kind of knowledge of Thailand is expected? Is that part multiple choice?

It was 15 last December, they showed me the criteria.

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

Not sure what your declared income means but you will need 3 years tax returns stamped by RD.   You should know things like what the colors of the thai flag stand for and what age you first get your thai id. Its multiple choice in thai language 

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Not sure what your declared income means but you will need 3 years tax returns stamped by RD.   You should know things like what the colors of the thai flag stand for and what age you first get your thai id. Its multiple choice in thai language 

I have submitted the returns, that isn't a problem.

It is funny that just the other day I was told by the officer dealing with me that the language requirement was worth 10 points, which goes against the 15 points others experienced. He specifically said I would need to get 7 out of 10 points to obtain a passing score of 50.

On the same topic, can anyone recommend any books/pamphlets to read up on to know the answers to the flag question, age of Thai ID, etc. 14?

If anyone has any typical Thai questions they can share I would be very grateful. If this has been dealt with here please let me know the page.

11 hours ago, qualtrough said:

It is funny that just the other day I was told by the officer dealing with me that the language requirement was worth 10 points, which goes against the 15 points others experienced. He specifically said I would need to get 7 out of 10 points to obtain a passing score of 50.

Or perhaps you misunderstood between the tests of Thai culture (10 points) and Thai language (15 points)?

11 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I have submitted the returns, that isn't a problem.

On the same topic, can anyone recommend any books/pamphlets to read up on to know the answers to the flag question, age of Thai ID, etc. 14?

If anyone has any typical Thai questions they can share I would be very grateful. If this has been dealt with here please let me know the page.

I would send a line message to your sb contact asking how many points for speaking, reading writing and how many for knowledge.   If you submitted your docs you may have a interview after the holiday.  I went from submission to interview in 4 days.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Or perhaps you misunderstood between the tests of Thai culture (10 points) and Thai language (15 points)?

What he said was, "You have 43 points. You will need to get 7/10 on the Thai language portion in order to have required 50 points." While I would never claim to be infallible, I am pretty confidant that's what he said.

I am still not clear on all the points that are current. Would anyone mind taking a stab at scoring me (less the language/ culture component and personality component)?

1 64 years old

2. Ph.D.

3. Owner of Thai company registered since 1997. Taxes paid since founding.

4. Continuous non-immig visas and WP since 2002.

5. Married to Thai national since 1996.

6. Two children, attending Thai Univ.

7. Salary of 40,000 baht through company

All my docs have been submitted and accepted. I just have to get one more updated พ.ง.ด. 50 and update my salary letter from my company and then I take the lang/culture test.

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

You should have given yourself a salary increase of 200%!

How long have you had a Tabien baan?

You should have well over 50 points.

Agree with the salary bit, but the problem is my accountants have had my salary pegged at 40,000 on returns and company docs for ages. Might open up a can of worms if I suddenly change it to 150,000 or more, no?

Tabian bahn  not long at all, so maybe that's it?

That's what I thought (well over 50 points), but he told me quite clearly I was at 43 and needed 7 more points from the 10 remaining for language. That came as a bit of a shock, but no use fretting over it I guess at this point because I should be back down there in a couple of weeks once I get the updated docs.

Edited by qualtrough

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

my SB contact included my thai ability at our 1st interview 

Interesting. I have not relied on any interpreter, assistance, or wife and represented myself entirely in Thai from the start, reading supplied Thai materials and completing forms in Thai,  so I would assume I would score at the high end  of any scale. But you know what happens when we assume :)

Edited by qualtrough

On 4/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, qualtrough said:

What he said was, "You have 43 points. You will need to get 7/10 on the Thai language portion in order to have required 50 points." While I would never claim to be infallible, I am pretty confidant that's what he said.

I am still not clear on all the points that are current. Would anyone mind taking a stab at scoring me (less the language/ culture component and personality component)?

1 64 years old

2. Ph.D.

3. Owner of Thai company registered since 1997. Taxes paid since founding.

4. Continuous non-immig visas and WP since 2002.

5. Married to Thai national since 1996.

6. Two children, attending Thai Univ.

7. Salary of 40,000 baht through company

All my docs have been submitted and accepted. I just have to get one more updated พ.ง.ด. 50 and update my salary letter from my company and then I take the lang/culture test.

Salary (15/25), Education (15/15), Age (4/10), Residence (0/20) = Total 34/70

Remains: Language (?/15), Culture (?/10), Personality (?/5)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Interesting. I have not relied on any interpreter, assistance, or wife and represented myself entirely in Thai from the start, reading supplied Thai materials and completing forms in Thai,  so I would assume I would score at the high end  of any scale. But you know what happens when we assume :)

I may be wrong -GarryP assumes differently on this topic- but I still think there's a cumulative evaluation where you need to score each step in order to get points for the next one and eventually get 15/15 pts. This is what happened to me. Speaking/understanding gives 8 pts, then singing the anthems adds 2 pts, followed by reading 2 pts and writing 3 pts. Meaning, my assumption is ithat f you don't sing at SB you couldn't score any points for reading/writing.

It would be interesting to have facts on this point. Anybody here was able to score points for reading/writing without singing at SB recently?

59 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I may be wrong -GarryP assumes differently on this topic- but I still think there's a cumulative evaluation where you need to score each step in order to get points for the next one and eventually get 15/15 pts. This is what happened to me. Speaking/understanding gives 8 pts, then singing the anthems adds 2 pts, followed by reading 2 pts and writing 3 pts. Meaning, my assumption is ithat f you don't sing at SB you couldn't score any points for reading/writing.

It would be interesting to have facts on this point. Anybody here was able to score points for reading/writing without singing at SB recently?

I got full points last December.

I never sang the songs, due to being married.

However, before I got my degrees translated and certified, they said I could sing for some extra points.

Also, I never had to write anything, that was tested.

The point system is not as clear as one would think.

I'd advise qualtrough to take his wife to offer them something, unless he knows the correct procedure to do this. Actually, even if he does, it's always better coming from a Thai.