Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I may be wrong -GarryP assumes differently on this topic- but I still think there's a cumulative evaluation where you need to score each step in order to get points for the next one and eventually get 15/15 pts. This is what happened to me. Speaking/understanding gives 8 pts, then singing the anthems adds 2 pts, followed by reading 2 pts and writing 3 pts. Meaning, my assumption is ithat f you don't sing at SB you couldn't score any points for reading/writing.

It would be interesting to have facts on this point. Anybody here was able to score points for reading/writing without singing at SB recently?

The above is exactly how it applied to me. I could not get points for reading and writing because I did not sing the royal and national anthems. However, I understood that since then it had changed such that you could now get points for reading and writing even if you do not sing the anthems. I may be wrong on this change. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I got full points last December.

I never sang the songs, due to being married.

However, before I got my degrees translated and certified, they said I could sing for some extra points.

Also, I never had to write anything, that was tested.

The point system is not as clear as one would think.

I'd advise qualtrough to take his wife to offer them something, unless he knows the correct procedure to do this. Actually, even if he does, it's always better coming from a Thai.

If married, not singing the anthems is optional. However, if you do not sing them you lose out on those points. It was not a deal breaker for me so I did not sing them (actually I had no intention of doing so anyway). Obviously, if I needed those extra couple of points, there would have been no option but to sing them.

On the points system in operation when I applied, the anthems fell under Thai language skills and as such, if you did not sing them at SB it was not possible to get maximum points for Thai language ability. To my knowledge this has not changed. 

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got full points last December.

I never sang the songs, due to being married.

However, before I got my degrees translated and certified, they said I could sing for some extra points.

Also, I never had to write anything, that was tested.

The point system is not as clear as one would think.

I'd advise qualtrough to take his wife to offer them something, unless he knows the correct procedure to do this. Actually, even if he does, it's always better coming from a Thai.

I have to agree about bringing his wife. I let my wife speak 95% of the time and only spoke when absolutely necessary. I got something like 68 points downstairs then upstairs the big boss took some away but said i passed and i ended with 63 with only 3 points for education . My advice is wait until January and max your salary out. 

Relationship with your SB contact is vital and i dont believe i could possibly have the connection without my wife. SB holds all the cards and can make or break your application. 

Edited by yankee99
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 12:04 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Salary (15/25), Education (15/15), Age (4/10), Residence (0/20) = Total 34/70

Remains: Language (?/15), Culture (?/10), Personality (?/5)

Thanks. He told me I had 43 points, and needed 7 more from the 10 point language. Was very clear about that. Having said that, he has gotten mixed up about several other things so who knows?

9 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I have to agree about bringing his wife. I let my wife speak 95% of the time and only spoke when absolutely necessary. I got something like 68 points downstairs then upstairs the big boss took some away but said i passed and i ended with 63 with only 3 points for education . My advice is wait until January and max your salary out. 

Relationship with your SB contact is vital and i dont believe i could possibly have the connection without my wife. SB holds all the cards and can make or break your application. 

I am not sure I follow. I don't have any problem communicating/understanding in Thai at all so she would not be any help as far as that is concerned. My relationship with the SB appears to be quite good. Maybe I am wrong, but wouldn't it be more impressive to have someone who handled the process by themselves in Thai rather than someone who let their wife handle everything?

If I don't get the points I will upgrade the salary, definitely.

41 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks. He told me I had 43 points, and needed 7 more from the 10 point language. Was very clear about that. Having said that, he has gotten mixed up about several other things so who knows?

Did you do the MCQ about Thai culture/knowledge?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

14 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Did you do the MCQ about Thai culture/knowledge?

MCQ? I don't think so, but I am not sure what that means. All required documents from the checklist have been been submitted and accepted, but I needed to get the most recent ภ.ง.ด. 50 and update my salary letter. It was then that he asked me to make an appointment to take the Thai test, after telling me I had 43 points and needed to get 7 out of 10 on the Thai test to get over the hump. I made an appointment for the following week, but had to cancel it as the ภ.ง.ด. 50 is going to take another week or so.

10 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

MCQ? I don't think so, but I am not sure what that means. All required documents from the checklist have been been submitted and accepted, but I needed to get the most recent ภ.ง.ด. 50 and update my salary letter. It was then that he asked me to make an appointment to take the Thai test, after telling me I had 43 points and needed to get 7 out of 10 on the Thai test to get over the hump. I made an appointment for the following week, but had to cancel it as the ภ.ง.ด. 50 is going to take another week or so.

Ok, the Thai test is the knowledge test to me. So you probably got the 43 points out of everything, including personality and Thai language test, but excluding this MCQ knowledge test (10 points) where you need to get 7.

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

The knowledge test is multiple choice where you should be familiar with the Government, geography, citizenship process and more. 

Is there any guideline what to prepare? I recently read here that they ask the age at which Thai citizens get their ID... Easy to find out, but I would not have thought that this would be asked.

36 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Is there any guideline what to prepare? I recently read here that they ask the age at which Thai citizens get their ID... Easy to find out, but I would not have thought that this would be asked.

I would be interested in this too. Colors of flag and meaning, ok. Thai ID, ok. Wonder what some of the others are?

2 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Ok, the Thai test is the knowledge test to me. So you probably got the 43 points out of everything, including personality and Thai language test, but excluding this MCQ knowledge test (10 points) where you need to get 7.

Thanks. It appears there are multiple ideas about the point system that are not all in agreement. No mention was made about Thai language when I was making my application or in any of my dealings, no testing, etc. I asked him about the scoring system but he got cagey and said they were not supposed to disclose that. In any case I need to brush up on the MCQ Thai knowledge part.

18 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks. It appears there are multiple ideas about the point system that are not all in agreement. No mention was made about Thai language when I was making my application or in any of my dealings, no testing, etc. I asked him about the scoring system but he got cagey and said they were not supposed to disclose that. In any case I need to brush up on the MCQ Thai knowledge part.

When I did it the questions were all written in Thai language. 

Hi All

Hope i have chose the right topic for this question!

I have a Thai father living in Bangkok divorced from my English mother who lives here. I was born here before 1992 and i use my fathers Thai name also on my UK birth cert.

I do not have a Thai birth cert but want to know the simplest way of obtaining one so i can then apply for Thai ID card and Passport. The Embassy in London have not been very helpful at all.

If anyone has any idea from experience or even know how please share. I plan on going to Thailand in the next few weeks and would be happy to spend the duration of my stay sorting it out there if necessary.

My UK birth cert and parents divorce papers have already been verified by Britsh Foreign Office.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

The knowledge test is multiple choice where you should be familiar with the Government, geography, citizenship process and more. 

How many consonants and videos are there in Thai.

Who has the power to grant citizenship- minister of interior.

What time are Thai government offices open?

When is mothers day?

What should a Thai did when hearing the national anthem - stand up straight.

What do the colors of the Thai flag represent? ชาติ, ศาสนา, พระมหากษัตริย์

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When is mothers day?

Pretty easy, thanks. Especially if this is multiple choice.  (Except I really don't know about the videos... scnr)

9 hours ago, CheP78 said:

Hi All

Hope i have chose the right topic for this question!

I have a Thai father living in Bangkok divorced from my English mother who lives here. I was born here before 1992 and i use my fathers Thai name also on my UK birth cert.

I do not have a Thai birth cert but want to know the simplest way of obtaining one so i can then apply for Thai ID card and Passport. The Embassy in London have not been very helpful at all.

If anyone has any idea from experience or even know how please share. I plan on going to Thailand in the next few weeks and would be happy to spend the duration of my stay sorting it out there if necessary.

My UK birth cert and parents divorce papers have already been verified by Britsh Foreign Office.

Thanks in advance!

This is not the right topic, this is for people who want to apply for Thai citizenship. You already have Thai citizenship, you just need to prove it to the authorities in order to get the ID card and passport. I suggest you open a new topic for this, because anybody in the same situation will certainly not be following this thread and won't see your posting here.

19 hours ago, GarryP said:

When I did it the questions were all written in Thai language. 

That won't be a  problem for me. I just want to know the kinds of questions that will be asked. I see that some have been posted here.

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When is mothers day?

Well what time are offices open?  44 consonants, but how many vowels??

7 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

That won't be a  problem for me. I just want to know the kinds of questions that will be asked. I see that some have been posted here.

It wasn't a problem for me either. But what is interesting is that despite reading and answering the questions and getting full marks in the process, I still did not earn any points for being able to read Thai as I did not sing the anthems. Weird. 

How many provinces are there in Thailand?

What is the age of majority? 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

It wasn't a problem for me either. But what is interesting is that despite reading and answering the questions and getting full marks in the process, I still did not earn any points for being able to read Thai as I did not sing the anthems. Weird. 

How many provinces are there in Thailand?

What is the age of majority? 

I see. Strange. 77 provinces. ID card 7. Age of Majority ?

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Just got the call for NIA meeting Sunday morning. They asked me to bring  my divorce papers from my home country.  

They want us to come to the NIA building not McDonalds like others in the past.

Sorry, what is NIA again? When I google it I just get a National Innovation Office สำนักงานนวัตกรรมแห่งชาติ

Good for you. Standing up for your rights.

I'd be tempted to report her. The land office is the most corrupt of all government departments, maybe she was looking for Extra cash.

At immigration yesterday, I told them that I had applied for citizenship and they laughed, asking if I was a good singer. I told them I didn't need to sing it as the law had changed. None of them accepted this, saying I still had to do it.

It's racism pure and simple.Stay calm, I felt like hitting a guy when choosing a Thai name, who was ridiculing me.

I have Thai friends of Indian origin who get harassed and discriminated against often, even though they were born Thai.

Coming into Thailand, I asked the air hostess if I had to fill in the card, as it says for non residents, actually wrongly translated from the Thai.

Hopefully next time I'll not have to do this.

• Like 2