Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

9 hours ago, Kwarium said:

BTW- What should I expect at the oath? Do I need to be prepared or just wing it? Is it ‘repeat after me’ style?

No need to prepare anything.  Just show up in your Sunday best, choose from Buddhist, Christian or Muslim wordings and repeat after the officer.

• Thanks 1

That’s great to hear, thanks!

OT,  but is it the forum or my iPad that logs me out automatically? I am now using Notes and copy pasting, to avoid losing posts. Submit just fails once the time out occurs. Logging in again loses the post.

39 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

BTW- What should I expect at the oath? Do I need to be prepared or just wing it? Is it ‘repeat after me’ style?

I recall about 100 pages ago there were some timeline posts in the following format. If -0- is application date, my timeline looks like this:

-0- Submit application and requested docs to SB.

-0- Interview and Thai culture test on the same day.

+2.5 months, Interview at McDonalds with two guys from the National Intelligence Agency.

+1.5 months, Submit 2nd ‘renounce’ letter with corrected wording.

+9.5 months, Received summary letter by registered mail stating SB had submitted application to MOI. (Oddly the summary letter heading is dated 5.5 months earlier.)

+24.3 months, received a phone call on a Thursday to be at MOI interview on Monday. A doc was sent to me on Line App.

+8.2 months, Made a call to SB and was told to come in for the oath next week.

That adds up to 46 months or 3 years and 10 months since application date until oath at SB. Of course that doesn’t include the time getting a yellow tabian bahn and moving it to Bangkok, gathering docs and translations and generally trying to decide if I was actually going to go for it or not.

Hope this is helpful to others!

Interesting time line... 

SB doc to interview 24 months but only 8 months from interview to oath... 

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

Interesting time line... 

SB doc to interview 24 months but only 8 months from interview to oath... 

That was a long 24 months. I called SB once after 14 months and was told nothing to do but wait for MOI to call. 

10 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Good question. Change of job from Corp A to Corp B is not a question at all. As they asked me on my current job which at the time of application Corp A. During the MOI interview if you might have moved to Corp B. I suggest to explain the Corp A role and handle the question. As this team is there to ask the genuineness of your application. Later when they ask for original WP what is your future plan question then open the recent Corp B job.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think that is sensible. They can only ask you about the info you submitted with your application, so it makes sense to just clarify that in the interview, rather than tell them you have changed your job and now do something completely different.  Otherwise your file could get knocked back to SB for reverification of everything.

• Like 1

Re retention of WP, I have always been of the view that it’s advisable to keep one to the bitter end, if possible. Having one at the MOI interview is essential. Even though many people are not asked for them, they can ask and your application will be chucked out, if you don’t have one. I was asked to bring mine to the MOI about 10 days before the interview for some reason. There is also the possibility of your file being sent back to SB or of a second interview, although these things are quite rare.  SB will always ask for all docs including WP when you do the oath. They might not bother, if you say it is being renewed or something but I think they have to send all your copy docs to the MOI again at that point.

10 hours ago, Kwarium said:

+24.3 months, received a phone call on a Thursday to be at MOI interview on Monday. A doc was sent to me on Line App.

Wow, 2 years for the MoI to get an interview for you. That seems very long compared to other people.

Can you contact them to ask what the delay is?

6 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Wow, 2 years for the MoI to get an interview for you. That seems very long compared to other people.

Can you contact them to ask what the delay is?

Seems some applicants can easily contact SB and some have little communication. 

In my case our SB contact, lines my wife at least once a week and any questions we previously had were answered promptly. 

24 months was a long time!

TBH, that is water under the bridge. I’m moving on to the next long wait. 

I’m pretty sure my SB contact knows not a word of English and also doesn’t have Line. I am also in the ‘leave them alone’ camp as I don’t think being a nuisance is the least beneficial in moving the gears of bureaucracy.

Sathuluv and any others have updates on how long from oath to RTG publication in 2018?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Seems some applicants can easily contact SB and some have little communication. 

In my case our SB contact, lines my wife at least once a week and any questions we previously had were answered promptly. 

This always depends on the rapport you or your partner is able to establish with your SB case officer. Getting connected on LINE seems a big help. 

Looking at people complaining that 2 years is a long wait for MOI interview makes the old hands here who applied pre-coup rather envious. Never forget that this is likely to be a temporary state of affairs.  The jungle will start growing over the track again as soon as a politician gets control of the MOI again.

17 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Looking at people complaining that 2 years is a long wait for MOI interview makes the old hands here who applied pre-coup rather envious.

Yup.

I applied in the second half of 2009. I had my interview at the MOI in November 2013. 4 years and 3 months it was.

In April 2015 my application was approved by the MOI and in January 2016, my Thai citizenship was announced in the Royal Gazette.

The total time from SB until Royal Gazette was 6 years and 5 months.

Edited by aidenai

7 minutes ago, aidenai said:

Yup.

I applied in the second half of 2009. I had my interview at the MOI in November 2013. 4 years and 3 months it was.

In April 2015 my application was approved by the MOI and in January 2016, my Thai citizenship was announced in the Royal Gazette.

The total time from SB until Royal Gazette was 6 years and 5 months.

I was one of the quick ones at 3 years and nearly 9 months from submission of documents to receiving my ID card and I was one of the rare cases where I was interviewed twice by the MOI. Things are going much faster now. 

• Thanks 1

I got a phone call from the SB police saying that they sent the application to the MOI 2 months ago.

I applied initially in December last year. Had the interview with NIA on January, however he did say that I had forgotten something and to await a call from the MOI.

So initial application

+1 month NIA interview

+ 2 months sent to MOI

I did tell him I'd be abroad in April.

Edited by Neeranam

5 hours ago, Kwarium said:

24 months was a long time!

TBH, that is water under the bridge. I’m moving on to the next long wait. 

I’m pretty sure my SB contact knows not a word of English and also doesn’t have Line. I am also in the ‘leave them alone’ camp as I don’t think being a nuisance is the least beneficial in moving the gears of bureaucracy.

Sathuluv and any others have updates on how long from oath to RTG publication in 2018?

I took oath in Jan-2018. Still waiting for the RTG announcement.

1 hour ago, sathuluv said:

Hi Kwarium, based on my recent experience in SB office for taking Oath.
Preparation:
a) My wife was chatting on LINE with the SB officer. And she asked for THB 3,000 for the accessories (garland, candle etc)for the oath taking. Don't ask me why its 3k.

I can't remember being asked for money for these items but the letter said to bring them along yourself which we did for less than that amount but credit to SB for offering a convenient, all inclusive service.  Some people probably brought the wrong stuff or nothing anyway.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got a phone call from the SB police saying that they sent the application to the MOI 2 months ago.

I applied initially in December last year. Had the interview with NIA on January, however he did say that I had forgotten something and to await a call from the MOI.

So initial application

+1 month NIA interview

+ 2 months sent to MOI

I did tell him I'd be abroad in April.

Actually, I hadn't forgotten anything to do with the process, it was another matter.

But interesting to know that they don't tell you immediately when they send the things off to the MOI.

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, I hadn't forgotten anything to do with the process, it was another matter.

But interesting to know that they don't tell you immediately when they send the things off to the MOI.

Did you get a copy of the summary letter to MOI? Kwarium mentioned he got it by mail several months after the action took place. I wonder if this is a standard process, getting a letter, I haven't requested for a copy so far - my application was just sent to MOI two months ago-.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

3 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Did you get a copy of the summary letter to MOI? Kwarium mentioned he got it by mail several months after the action took place. I wonder if this is a standard process, getting a letter, I haven't requested for a copy so far - my application was just sent to MOI two months ago-.

No copy yet. 

• Thanks 1

Once the SB has sent the application onto the MOI, is there any way that the MOI could ask for more documents? Or had the SB made sure the application is complete?

I guess waiting for 6 months(or more/less)and forgetting about it is the only move nowuntil getting a phone call from the regarding an interview.

59 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Once the SB has sent the application onto the MOI, is there any way that the MOI could ask for more documents? Or had the SB made sure the application is complete?

Very well possible. One month before I got my MOI interview I was called by the MOI to submit additional copies of my work permits as the set they got wasn't complete.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I guess waiting for 6 months(or more/less)and forgetting about it is the only move nowuntil getting a phone call from the regarding an interview.

I had the same experience as Aidenai.  I was summoned to the MOI to submit current WP and WPs covering the three year period before my application.  This was because I had changed jobs in the three year period and SB refused to take copies I offered of the old WP, despite my insistence they were surely needed.  MOI made it very clear that they were needed and that I would have been rejected, if I was unable to produce the old WP or if there was a gap, which they checked for carefully.  I think there were also some disparaging comments about SB (there certainly were on another occasion).  Prior to that my file had been knocked back to SB for re-verification 2.5 years after I applied, due to another SB mistake.  That meant that I had to redo the employment letter and bank statement and present new copies of all docs including WP to prove I was still eligible.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I had the same experience as Aidenai.  I was summoned to the MOI to submit current WP and WPs covering the three year period before my application.  This was because I had changed jobs in the three year period and SB refused to take copies I offered of the old WP, despite my insistence they were surely needed.  MOI made it very clear that they were needed and that I would have been rejected, if I was unable to produce the old WP or if there was a gap, which they checked for carefully.  I think there were also some disparaging comments about SB (there certainly were on another occasion).  Prior to that my file had been knocked back to SB for re-verification 2.5 years after I applied, due to another SB mistake.  That meant that I had to redo the employment letter and bank statement and present new copies of all docs including WP to prove I was still eligible.

All this happened before your MOI interview, am I correct?

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

Damn, and I thought the easy part was over! Hopefully, they've learned some things since then.

5 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

All this happened before your MOI interview, am I correct?

Yes. Fortunately, everything got back after the interview and all was plain sailing thereafter. There were a few moments when I felt like Josef K in Kafka’s The Castle though, never knowing what curved ball the administrators in the castle were going to throw next.

• Thanks 2

Yes as many have said its an extreme test of patience and I'm glad that in my case its all behind me now. One of my mates had a bit of a curved ball thrown at him in his application process. Apparently the British embassy claimed that they were no longer able to stamp a person's letter of intent to give up British citizenship. They said he had to get a form from the UK. Have any other British applicants experienced this? I wondered if it was just that a junior employee was confused and made up an excuse as I had this experience and a more senior employee rectified it.

10 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Yes as many have said its an extreme test of patience and I'm glad that in my case its all behind me now. One of my mates had a bit of a curved ball thrown at him in his application process. Apparently the British embassy claimed that they were no longer able to stamp a person's letter of intent to give up British citizenship. They said he had to get a form from the UK. Have any other British applicants experienced this? I wondered if it was just that a junior employee was confused and made up an excuse as I had this experience and a more senior employee rectified it.

I experienced exactly this in January 2016 when I was applying (while waiting for MoI interview, my wife and I started divorce proceedings, so the rest is moot). I went to the British Embassy with the letter that SB give you, and they said "No can do". I went back to SB and told them this, and they said "well, we need it. Go and talk to them." So I booked another appointment and waited three weeks for that. This time I was told that I can give up my British citizenship from the Embassy, but they could not provide me with a document saying that I would do it after I had gained Thai citizenship. I asked nicely if I could talk to someone in charge, and a British lady came into one of the interview rooms to talk about it. She said that they can't issue a certificate as was requested by the SB, and I asked if I could write down my affirmation and have them witness it. Her face lit up and she said yes, that is a service they do provide.

So I hand-wrote a statement that said that it was my intention to relinquish British citizenship after I obtain Thai citizenship. They stamped it, she signed it, and I paid them something like 2,000 THB for the privilege.

I gave that to SB and they said that was just what they wanted.

However, I have not been contacted in the intervening two years for the interview with MoI, so who knows how successful it would have ultimately been. As said, now pending divorce - so I now need to start all over again in a few years' time.

3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I got the thing done earlier this year.

They gave me a form to fill in. I chose it was the affadavit form.