Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

9 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Congratulations Sathuluv! not that many steps left and just few months to the ID... From what I have read SB should issue the letter shortly, others can confirm. Unless you're in a hurry, waiting for 2-3 weeks and calling if nothing has happened seems relevant to me.

Well done, so are you now a Thai citizen?

How long did that take from submission of application?

Great news Sathuluv! So getting your name in the RG was right at 4 months after you took the oath, right?

SB told me once I get the citizenship letter I will need to get my yellow book changed to a blue one, or is it just having my name added to the blue book of the property owner? What exactly is needed at the amphur for the ID card? I’ve got 4 months to figure it out, but Sathuluv needs to know soon!

How on earth would one get an appointment at the amphur to get the ID card? I can’t imagine calling them up and getting through to someone who knew about it! 

Today I brought my remaining two documents (latest year พงด 50 and updated salary letter) and my two witnesses (again-last time I was short those two docs) down to the SB. First thing said was "Where is your wife?" I am absolutely certain this wasn't mentioned last time, but I probably should have known. In any case I was able to get her down there within an hour so all was well. To this point I had not involved her in the process.

1. Lots of different Thai docs to proofread and sign. Several had errors and had to be retyped by SB after I corrected them (name of sister, address number, etc.). One was a three pager in question and answer form. The questions are boilerplate, and the answers had been filled in for me with the details pertaining to my situation. Those are the ones that need to be checked carefully.

2. Interview with the Sarawat. Initially wife not there. Asked misc questions about everything related to what I had already submitted and took notes in pencil. Wife arrived mid way and we were asked how we met, kids, schooling, etc. He also asked me why I wanted to change my citizenship, what I liked about Thailand, asked me about the meaning of the national anthem, etc. He told me it wasn't part of today's test, but would be the kinds of things I would be asked by the big committee down the road. Overall very friendly and encouraging. He had me read and write some time to ascertain my proficiency,  and he asked me where I learned Thai, etc.

3. 10 point multiple choice question in Thai. I got 8/10. The ones I got wrong were opening hours for government offices (doh! kicking myself because I was warned about that), and the other was about the duties of Thai citizens. Stupidly I thought there was only one correct answer for all questions (who reads instructions?) but for this one all four answers were correct. At any rate that was enough to push me past  the point barrier. I asked if the point score was a consideration at any point and was told, no, it's pass/fail at 50, you passed, don't worry about it.

Other questions concerned PM's name, Kings name, Queen's birthday (I think), Government System in Thailand. The other four I can't recall now, sorry.

4. Fingerprinted, everything left and right, with ink. Two sets.

5. After that I paid my 5,000 baht and then they gave me two letters. One to hand to the Amphur that issued our marriage license and involving authentication, and the other involving choosing a Thai name. I need to follow up on those.

6. I was told that in about three weeks I would get a call to go in for an interview with another agency, not police. Will have to look at the chart for that.

Quite a relief to pass. I suffered in points because of age (old) and because although I have lived here many years I did not have the residency docs. I benefited from the language skills and having a Ph.D.

Quite a relief to have made it so far, although I realize I still have a long way to go!

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to answer questions I had and provide other info. I am sure I will have some more questions in the coming weeks!

Edited by qualtrough
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

Today I brought my remaining two documents (latest year พงด 50 and updated salary letter) and my two witnesses (again-last time I was short those two docs) down to the SB. First thing said was "Where is your wife?" I am absolutely certain this wasn't mentioned last time, but I probably should have known. In any case I was able to get her down there within an hour so all was well. To this point I had not involved her in the process.

1. Lots of different Thai docs to proofread and sign. Several had errors and had to be retyped by SB after I corrected them (name of sister, address number, etc.). One was a three pager in question and answer form. The questions are boilerplate, and the answers had been filled in for me with the details pertaining to my situation. Those are the ones that need to be checked carefully.

2. Interview with the Sarawat. Initially wife not there. Asked misc questions about everything related to what I had already submitted and took notes in pencil. Wife arrived mid way and we were asked how we met, kids, schooling, etc. He also asked me why I wanted to change my citizenship, what I liked about Thailand, asked me about the meaning of the national anthem, etc. He told me it wasn't part of today's test, but would be the kinds of things I would be asked by the big committee down the road. Overall very friendly and encouraging. He had me read and write some time to ascertain my proficiency,  and he asked me where I learned Thai, etc.

3. 10 point multiple choice question in Thai. I got 8/10. The ones I got wrong were opening hours for government offices (doh! kicking myself because I was warned about that), and the other was about the duties of Thai citizens. Stupidly I thought there was only one correct answer for all questions (who reads instructions?) but for this one all four answers were correct. At any rate that was enough to push me past  the point barrier. I asked if the point score was a consideration at any point and was told, no, it's pass/fail at 50, you passed, don't worry about it.

Other questions concerned PM's name, Kings name, Queen's birthday (I think), Government System in Thailand. The other four I can't recall now, sorry.

5. After that I paid my 5,000 baht and then they gave me two letters. One to hand to the Amphur that issued our marriage license and involving authentication, and the other involving choosing a Thai name. I need to follow up on those.

6. I was told that in about three weeks I would get a call to go in for an interview with another agency, not police. Will have to look at the chart for that.

Quite a relief to pass. I suffered in points because of age (old) and because although I have lived here many years I did not have the residency docs. I benefited from the language skills and having a Ph.D.

Quite a relief to have made it so far, although I realize I still have a long way to go!

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to answer questions I had and provide other info. I am sure I will have some more questions in the coming weeks!

Excellent! Good first step. Next will be the NIA interview then a long pause..........for the MOI interview........then the Oath...RG announcement........Thai ID card

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Great news Sathuluv! So getting your name in the RG was right at 4 months after you took the oath, right?

SB told me once I get the citizenship letter I will need to get my yellow book changed to a blue one, or is it just having my name added to the blue book of the property owner? What exactly is needed at the amphur for the ID card? I’ve got 4 months to figure it out, but Sathuluv needs to know soon!

How on earth would one get an appointment at the amphur to get the ID card? I can’t imagine calling them up and getting through to someone who knew about it! 

Yes. I took oath in Jan and got my name in RG in May.

I am not sure about this, but when the time comes we will sort them out. All is possible.

10 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Excellent! Good first step. Next will be the NIA interview then a long pause..........for the MOI interview........then the Oath...RG announcement........Thai ID card

That's right, NIA, thanks! Wish I had done this years ago, but I got some bad advice. Congrats too!

Edited by qualtrough

Does anyone have any bookmarked links (or outside links or info) to pages dealing with the NIA interview and the choosing a Thai name process? I know it is dealt with here, but I am hoping to avoid having to wade through 254 pages again!

For the record, I just want to add that the Sarawat stressed the bit about having to give up existing citizenship and my willingness to do so. 

19 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

That's right, NIA, thanks! Wish I had done this years ago, but I got some bad advice. Congrats too!

Things look to be going well for you. I had just about given up before I even started because I did not believe I qualified. A poster on this thread set me right and told me to check with SB first, and of course I did have enough points after all. Forever grateful to that poster who knows who he is.

Good earlier post with lots of detail. But I am surprised you did not take your wife with you. Apart from dropping off documents and following up on the status, I would have thought it standard practice to take your wife along to all the important interviews/submissions when your application is based on marriage to a Thai. In any case, make sure you take her with you to the NIA and MOI interviews, even if it is not mentioned beforehand that she needs to be there. They will be asking your wife questions too.

Anyway, shouldn't be too long now as things have speeded up greatly.

Edited by GarryP
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, samran said:

Is this test for every category of application, or only selected streams? 

The knowledge of Thailand test was introduced in 2010 and is required for all naturalization applications, whether on the basis of PR or a Thai wife, but not for women applying on the basis of a Thai husband. Prior to that there were no written tests but optional Thai reading and writing tests were also introduced at the same time and the qualification points structure was revised to recognize the fact that men with Thai wives could now apply. So they thought there was no longer any point in giving points for having s THAI wife and kids etc.

Just now, Arkady said:

The knowledge of Thailand test was introduced in 2010 and is required for all naturalization applications, whether on the basis of PR or a Thai wife, but not for women applying on the basis of a Thai husband. Prior to that there were no written tests but optional Thai reading and writing tests were also introduced at the same time and the qualification points structure was revised to recognize the fact that men with Thai wives could now apply. So they thought there was no longer any point in giving points for having a Tha  wife and kids etc.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

The knowledge of Thailand test was introduced in 2010 and is required for all naturalization applications, whether on the basis of PR or a Thai wife, but not for women applying on the basis of a Thai husband. Prior to that there were no written tests but optional Thai reading and writing tests were also introduced at the same time and the qualification points structure was revised to recognize the fact that men with Thai wives could now apply. So they thought there was no longer any point in giving points for having s THAI wife and kids etc.

okay, I see, so this is part of the larger points system which you outlined back in 2011?

On 17/05/2018 at 9:38 AM, qualtrough said:

Does anyone have any bookmarked links (or outside links or info) to pages dealing with the NIA interview and the choosing a Thai name process? I know it is dealt with here, but I am hoping to avoid having to wade through 254 pages again!

For the record, I just want to add that the Sarawat stressed the bit about having to give up existing citizenship and my willingness to do so. 

Choosing a Thai name - I did this in Bangkok last month. I'd suggest choosing maybe 5 different sets of first name / last name combinations. I went on my own and the official asked where my wife was, not because she was required to be in attendance, but because he asked me if I'd prepared my choices of first name / last name and said that usually the Thai partner would come along to help choose. I must admit I hadn't really given it much thought but had a first name picked out. Thus I had to come up with some possible family names on the spot. Luckily my first name choice was accepted immediately by the computer but 2 of the 3 possible family names were rejected by the system. I've really no idea what the grounds are for deciding whether a first name / last name is acceptable; I could see the computer screen at an angle and the message that came up saying "no dice" was different for each of the two rejected choices. Anyway, got there in the end and then had to go back and pick up the letters a few days later after the District Chief had signed them.

It's also a good idea to laminate the wafer thin mint receipt that you got from SB to protect it, because that's your proof of application. The District Office wanted to see it, as did Immigration at CW (my other letter was to ask CW to verify my PR status).

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Choosing a Thai name - I did this in Bangkok last month. I'd suggest choosing maybe 5 different sets of first name / last name combinations. I went on my own and the official asked where my wife was, not because she was required to be in attendance, but because he asked me if I'd prepared my choices of first name / last name and said that usually the Thai partner would come along to help choose. I must admit I hadn't really given it much thought but had a first name picked out. Thus I had to come up with some possible family names on the spot. Luckily my first name choice was accepted immediately by the computer but 2 of the 3 possible family names were rejected by the system. I've really no idea what the grounds are for deciding whether a first name / last name is acceptable; I could see the computer screen at an angle and the message that came up saying "no dice" was different for each of the two rejected choices. Anyway, got there in the end and then had to go back and pick up the letters a few days later after the District Chief had signed them.

I understand we are not allowed to choose a family name that already exists. However, I also heard that we can choose that family name if the head of the family agrees.

I plan to use the family name of the family I live with, and the father (there is no grandparent any more) will gladly sign any documents. Does anybody know about the procedure? - The alternative would be to just add "sakul" at the end, making it a new family name: Would that be allowed?

On 16/05/2018 at 9:30 PM, qualtrough said:

Well done.I got 4 letters last Dec. The other 2 were for my embassy.

4 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

It's also a good idea to laminate the wafer thin mint receipt that you got from SB to protect it, because that's your proof of application. The District Office wanted to see it, as did Immigration at CW (my other letter was to ask CW to verify my PR status).

As I don't live in Bangkok, I didn't reach the town house until 3.30 pm.

They were very nice and managed to get it done that day.

In the future, I wonder if I can change my yellow book to the province I live in and get my ID card here. 

On 17/05/2018 at 9:38 AM, qualtrough said:

Does anyone have any bookmarked links (or outside links or info) to pages dealing with the NIA interview

This really is nothing to worry about, I don't think you can fail the interview. Just remember to take everything, even if you aren't asked for it by SB.

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I went on my own and the official asked where my wife was

I was asked the same last week when applying for a new driving license!! It isn't necessary, they think we are illiterate, which is rather annoying at times.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, Arkady said:

One thing that struck me though, is that you say you have only 2 Thai employees, whereas the general rule from the Labour Ministry is 4 Thai employees per WP.  Some Labour Offices outside Bangkok are more lax about this but remember that the Labour Ministry has representatives on the big and small committees at the MoI and could query this, however remote the possibility might be.   

For a number of years, even before receiving PR.  My small company has only had one Thai employee.  I have always obtained 2 years work permits without any problems from the Labour department.   Would this affect my citizenship application when I plan to apply in 3 years?

Sorry Arkady,  I see that you have already responded to a similar question.  Would your previous response also apply for a PR?

Edited by THAIJAMES

7 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

For a number of years, even before receiving PR.  My small company has only had one Thai employee.  I have always obtained 2 years work permits without any problems from the Labour department.   Would this affect my citizenship application when I plan to apply in 3 years?

You can still extend it for 2 years sure at Din Daeng Labour department? I am also a PR and I asked but they only could extend for 1 year

1 minute ago, sas_cars said:

You can still extend it for 2 years sure at Din Daeng Labour department? I am also a PR and I asked but they only could extend for 1 year

This is Chiang Mai.  I have gotten 3 - 2 year extensions, but one year they only gave me one year.  I have no idea where they come up with one or two year maximum.  Probably change of bosses.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:45 AM, GarryP said:

Things look to be going well for you. I had just about given up before I even started because I did not believe I qualified. A poster on this thread set me right and told me to check with SB first, and of course I did have enough points after all. Forever grateful to that poster who knows who he is.

Good earlier post with lots of detail. But I am surprised you did not take your wife with you. Apart from dropping off documents and following up on the status, I would have thought it standard practice to take your wife along to all the important interviews/submissions when your application is based on marriage to a Thai. In any case, make sure you take her with you to the NIA and MOI interviews, even if it is not mentioned beforehand that she needs to be there. They will be asking your wife questions too.

Anyway, shouldn't be too long now as things have speeded up greatly.

My wife is an introvert, very shy, and not very comfortable dealing with officials and strangers. I already knew Thai and had lived here some time before we married so I was used to doing things on my own. For that reason I never really thought to involve her in the actual document submission process. From this point forward I will of course have her come along with the kids.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thank you for your input. The lamination is great advice. It is what they used to call a flimsy in the US back in the day.

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Well done.I got 4 letters last Dec. The other 2 were for my embassy.

Thanks! What did the two letters for the embassy involve if you don't mind my asking?

PS I just remembered one more question from the quiz. # of consonants and vowels!

Also, there were three different sets of 10 point Thai tests. In my case they chose the test I would take for me, I had no say in the matter.

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This really is nothing to worry about, I don't think you can fail the interview. Just remember to take everything, even if you aren't asked for it by SB.

Thanks. Can you give me any idea of what they ask/expect at the NIA interview? What are some of the good answers for the question: Why do you want to take Thai citizenship?

14 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks! What did the two letters for the embassy involve if you don't mind my asking?

PS I just remembered one more question from the quiz. # of consonants and vowels!

Also, there were three different sets of 10 point Thai tests. In my case they chose the test I would take for me, I had no say in the matter.

One was for getting the letter of intention of renouncing my British citizenship, the other was for certifying my passport and doing a criminal check, however they said they couldn't do the check any more.

14 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks. Can you give me any idea of what they ask/expect at the NIA interview? What are some of the good answers for the question: Why do you want to take Thai citizenship?

Talk to the guy at the door(really friendly man) who meets you about gardening, his favorite topic, he might let you sit in the office with him and not with the others in another room. His wife is one of the interviewers. I, unlike most, was only interviewed by ones person, by his wife :).

The guy next to me couldn't answer the first question, What is your date of birth? He asked if he could use English, they said no. 

I told them I went to a famous temple of Aj Buddadassa Bikku many years ago and fell in love with the country, and when I'm old I'd like the opportunity to be a monk and not need a visa. 

I also talked about Scottish independence and how the UK was a mess and I felt like a foreigner there after being here for so long.

Relax, it's easy.