Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

10 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Hi All,

I'm in the process of citizenship. I applied last year and had the NIA interview last November. I'm waiting to hear from the MoI.

My main question is what happens when I change my job next month. I've been offered a really good one, much better than my current one. I was hoping to keep things simple by staying where I am but financially, I'd be stupid to refuse.

Would you recommend I ask SB what to do? I'm worried they say to start the whole thing again.

Would it be better to say nothing, and hope the MoI don't ask to see my WP, or accept my new one?

I would get my new WP immediately, or maybe after a couple of weeks at the most.

Also, when doing the oath, would they accept any WP?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

As long as there is no gap between your work permits, i.e. in constant employment there should not be a problem. Make sure to let SB know of your change in employer. 

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

As long as there is no gap between your work permits, i.e. in constant employment there should not be a problem. Make sure to let SB know of your change in employer. 

Thanks GarryP, that's good to know.

I believe that the SB have passed it onto the MoI, so are you sure it would be the SB I told and not the MoI? 

Would a week or two still be classed as continual employment?

4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Hi All,

I'm in the process of citizenship. I applied last year and had the NIA interview last November. I'm waiting to hear from the MoI.

My main question is what happens when I change my job next month. I've been offered a really good one, much better than my current one. I was hoping to keep things simple by staying where I am but financially, I'd be stupid to refuse.

Would you recommend I ask SB what to do? I'm worried they say to start the whole thing again.

Would it be better to say nothing, and hope the MoI don't ask to see my WP, or accept my new one?

I would get my new WP immediately, or maybe after a couple of weeks at the most.

Also, when doing the oath, would they accept any WP?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Before your MoI interview there is still a possibility that the MoI will check your work permits for continuity, as happened to me.  However, they are more likely to do this, if they are aware you have changed jobs during the three year qualifying period which you have already passed. Actually I would not mention it to SB since you are already passed the NIA interview and your file should be ready to go to the MoI, or might even have gone (sometimes SB can be a bit slack in informing people that the file has already gone).  The information you gave to SB was correct at the time you signed the application form and telling them you have changed jobs will only tempt someone to check your WPs for continuity provide an excuse for an unfathomable delay. 

When you change jobs tell the new employer that it is absolutely imperative for your citizenship application that your WP transition is as seamless as possible.  They can do this, if they pull their fingers out.  I got it done with only a 4 day gap with a lot of effort and pressure on the company's HR dept.  When I was working for that company we employed another farang who also needed the continuity for his PR application.  So it was done for him without a gap, as I had shown HR the way.  You have to make sure you give your new employer all the documents they need well in advance, so they don't have an excuse to screw it up.  Then fine tune the timing of your resignation and last day at the old employer.  The regulations say "continuous", so any gap is enough to kill your application if spotted by an MoI official who got out of bed the wrong side that morning, although I suspect that most will give you a few days' grace. You can imagine how my heart was pounding when the head of the nationality section at the MoI thumbed through my old and new WPs to check the continuity, worrying she would spot the 4 day gap that was there despite my best efforts. I felt like a member of the French resistance having my fake ID papers thumbed through by an SS officer.  Luckily she only looked at the months saying something like finished job in June and new WP started in June. Then she said good that's fine and I'm glad your WPs are continuous or we would have had to reject your application.  This is less likely to happen to you because it will happen after your three year qualifying period but it is not impossible.  Therefore I would make best efforts to avoid a gap or keep it as small as possible.  Occasionally things, e.g. a new minister, come along and result in re-checking of applicants' qualifications.   

Thanks Arkady,

Did you have to leave the country for a new visa?

Some great advice there. But my new employer is not a large company.

I asked my new employer who said that it would take at least 1-2 weeks, as I'd need to leave the country to get a new visa. After getting the new visa, then at least 4 days before getting the WP.

Maybe I could resign, after getting the new visa??

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I asked my new employer who said that it would take at least 1-2 weeks, as I'd need to leave the country to get a new visa. After getting the new visa, then at least 4 days before getting the WP.

Are you currently on an extension of stay based on work or a visa issued by an embassy?

When I changed jobs and work permits, it was 100% seamless, in fact work permit wise there was a 10 day overlap, the new company applied for the work permit before the old company cancelled my work permit with them, there was some liaison between the two and the cancellation of the old work permit coincided with going to immigration and changing the extension of stay from one company to the other using the new work permit, I did not have to leave the Country, just provide copies of the original non-b visa issue in 2004.

So long as your current entry is non immigrant, then there is no reason for you to have leave the country, the work permit can be issued against the current permission to stay.

Admittedly my move of jobs was in two different provinces (Chonburi to Bangkok) but I do not think that that matters so much.

If your new employer is not sure, then perhaps they could use a competent agent, as this would be cheaper than flying you out to get a new visa?

Thanks Arkady,

I didn't have to leave the country, as I had PR but I don't think the other farang who did it after me had to leave the country either and he was on a NON-B visa.

Thanks Arkady,

Wouldn't you leaving the country potentially reset your 3 year non-interrupted visa requirement?

• Like 2

Theoretically the 3 year period has already been completed when the application was filed. However, I would not like to test what happens after that first 3 year period. 

As pointed out above, if he has a category B visa, he should simply be able to change employers and work permits. If unable to do so seamlessly for whatever reason, he could seek a 7 day extension upon termination of employment and do the paperwork for the new company such that he can get the new work permit in the 7 day extension period and thereafter a further extension of his category B visa, avoiding having to leave the country. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Theoretically the 3 year period has already been completed when the application was filed. However, I would not like to test what happens after that first 3 year period.

The regular checks are done based on what happened in the 3 year qualifying period but the MoI's interpretation seems to be that applicants should remain qualified after that and can be rejected, if found to be unqualified later, particularly if this happens prior to the MoI interview which is when the MoI screens applicants. Certainly you will be rejected, if your file is knocked back to SB for whatever reason and you are found to be no longer qualified.  If the MoI finds out before the interview that you are no longer working or have got divorced, if applying on the basis of a Thai spouse, they will also certainly reject you.  Having a small gap between WPs is a grey area that would probably depend on the discretion of whoever found it, if anyone ever did.  Another similar issue would be an applicant who was still working but no longer earning the required minimum by the time of the interview. An MoI explained to someone who admitted they were in this situation that they were technically no longer qualified but kindly decided to take no further action and advised the applicant not to voluntarily say anything about his salary at the interview.  I would say this case is similar to having a short gap between WPs.

What the cut off period is for remaining qualified I can't say.  But clearly the risk of having your file knocked back to SB for rechecking has passed once you have been approved by the minister, even though you still need to be approved by HMK, take the oath and be gazetted. The MoI interview or just before it is normally the critical point for re-checking.  However, a bloody minded incoming minister can knock back applications still unsigned by his predecessor for re-checking after the interviews and this has happened in the past, although you would be pretty unlucky, if it were to happen to you.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The regular checks are done based on what happened in the 3 year qualifying period but the MoI's interpretation seems to be that applicants should remain qualified after that and can be rejected, if found to be unqualified later, particularly if this happens prior to the MoI interview which is when the MoI screens applicants. Certainly you will be rejected, if your file is knocked back to SB for whatever reason and you are found to be no longer qualified.  If the MoI finds out before the interview that you are no longer working or have got divorced, if applying on the basis of a Thai spouse, they will also certainly reject you.  Having a small gap between WPs is a grey area that would probably depend on the discretion of whoever found it, if anyone ever did.  Another similar issue would be an applicant who was still working but no longer earning the required minimum by the time of the interview. An MoI explained to someone who admitted they were in this situation that they were technically no longer qualified but kindly decided to take no further action and advised the applicant not to voluntarily say anything about his salary at the interview.  I would say this case is similar to having a short gap between WPs.

What the cut off period is for remaining qualified I can't say.  But clearly the risk of having your file knocked back to SB for rechecking has passed once you have been approved by the minister, even though you still need to be approved by HMK, take the oath and be gazetted. The MoI interview or just before it is normally the critical point for re-checking.  However, a bloody minded incoming minister can knock back applications still unsigned by his predecessor for re-checking after the interviews and this has happened in the past, although you would be pretty unlucky, if it were to happen to you.   

It was my understanding too that you need to remain qualified through the whole process until announcement in the Royal Gazette. That is, continuous extensions of stay and work permits.  A few days break in WPs should not be a problem, but leaving the country and returning on a new visa would be too risky. Hence my comment that I would not like to test what happens after the initial three year period. 

If I could not get the work permit matter and extension settled within the 7 day extension window, I would not change jobs. The problem is that the current employer knows he wants to leave for a better paid job elsewhere and as a result may no longer want to keep him on anyway even if he changes his mind about leaving. This very much depends on the relationship they have and the goodwill of the current employer.  I know if I were the employer, I would be unlikely to retain him, knowing that he is only staying with me for reasons of citizenship, as once he gains Thai citizenship he is very likely to be out of the door (I am not passing judgement on the character of the applicant in any way as I believe it would be the same for most people - me included - it is just an observation of human nature).  Awkward situation. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all. I've just checked my visa and it has my occupation and place of work written on top of it, which leads me to believe that my visa is dependent on my work. Checked again with my new work and they said there is no way they have ever been  allowed to continue a WP on the same visa.

It is an awkward situation, as Gary says above.

Another option is to resign but keep my visa and WP until the MOI interview, which should be within the time, but that could cause lots of complications down the line! Maybe better, just hang on for a few months and hope my new employer can wait.

I will be able to weigh in later on this topic when / if I pass my MOI interview.

Technically I was without a work permit for 4 months between jobs during my 3 year qualification window.  

I even told SB about this situation, and the officer said that it was only important that I was continuously employed and paying the minimum taxes (which I was).  My application was approved by SB and earlier this year was sent to MOI.  

On paper in the WP, it looks like a had continuity (even an overlap) in my WP because I had just renewed my work permit in my first job before resigned from the job and I got a new WP permit from my second job before the previously one expired (even though it was technically not valid anymore).  The interesting thing about the WP is that when it is no longer valid because you have left the company, there is nothing stamped in it saying such.  The only thing that would indicate a break or change in employment is what is stamped in your passport, because you will have to immediately turn around and apply for continuity of stay as others have said.  

So actually since I entered Thailand a number of years ago, my Non-O Visa has been continuously renewed, but transitioned from me and my wife applying, to my work applying, and now back to me and my wife applying.  

I will be sweating bullets like Arkady when I finally make it to my MOI interview, because of this grey area, and I hope it doesn't force me to re-apply later.  I will let everyone know how it turns out for me.  

Edited by khongaeng

3 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Thanks to all. I've just checked my visa and it has my occupation and place of work written on top of it, which leads me to believe that my visa is dependent on my work. Checked again with my new work and they said there is no way they have ever been  allowed to continue a WP on the same visa.

It is an awkward situation, as Gary says above.

Another option is to resign but keep my visa and WP until the MOI interview, which should be within the time, but that could cause lots of complications down the line! Maybe better, just hang on for a few months and hope my new employer can wait.

If you are married, you could change your visa to non-imm based on marriage, without leaving the country. You can work on a non imm o visa.

I have just looked at the two WPs I presented at the MoI that day. In fact there is no record of the cancellation date of the first one. It just has four holes punched through it and a line drawn in pencil through page 3. The book has a place to notify resignation on page 28-29 but this was not filled in.  Before the 2008 Working of Aliens Act you could not keep your cancelled WPs and they were reluctant to return them even after the law changed. So they can’t have seen the need to fill in the section on resignation or note the date of cancellation on a document that was to be junked or kept in their storage. Perhaps there has still been no change today, a decade after the law changed. Although it must now be more common for people to request the return of their cancelled WPs, there can be few official uses of them outside of people applying for citizenship or PR.

i remembered the dates and the exact conversation at the MoI wrong. I had arranged to quit the old job at the end of July and got the WP cancelled then. But the new employer dragged their heels by forgetting to submit a copy of their licence, a requirement for employers in the finance sector, which meant the WP started on 4 August instead of the first of the month, as planned. (Then they paid me 3 days’ short due to their mistake, even though I worked those days. LOL). 

So my concern at the MoI was somewhat out of paranoia that the new WP started on the 4th of the month when it is obvious that resignations normally take effect from the end of the month. I think she did ask me about the transition but I must have deliberately glossed over the resignation date. I was terrified she would ask for more evidence of the resignation date to make sure it wasn’t some time before the start of the new WP and these details obviously are retained by the Labour Ministry, even if not noted in the cancelled WP. There was no paper trail in my passport, as I had PR.

In summary, they are probably only looking for WP gaps in the sense that a WP actually expired before a new one was issued, although it cannot be ruled out that they might decide to get more sophisticated than this by scrutinizing passports of non-PRs or asking for copies of the resignation notification to the Labour Ministry.  However, I think that, if you don’t have a gap where a WP expired before a new one was issued, you probably have nothing to worry about.

15 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Are you currently working for a BOI or IEAT registered company, as this is normally where it is written on the extension, however, you CAN still do the changeover and a new work permit can be issued, the timing has to be sorted out between the two companies, I realise that you are in a very difficult situation, it just takes agreement between the two companies, which is perhaps where the issue lays for your existing company?

I was laid off in January 2016 whilst working for an IEAT registered company based in Pinthong IE, Sriracha, this was with a two yearly extension of stay and work permit validity, I was offered a new job in Bangkok starting on 1st April 2016, the two companies liaised together such that the new company applied for new work permit on the 22nd March 2016 using the extension of stay based on the OLD company.

The old company then cancelled the old work permit on 29th March 2016 at Chonburi labour department, at the same time, I attended CW immigration office to change the extension of stay from working for the company to working for the new company, voided the reentry permit from Sriracha immigration and issued a 30 day consideration period for the new extension of stay, which was then approved when I returned to immigration.

The attached captures this stamps wise.

WP and Ext Overlap.pdf

Edited by Mattd

Oh the negative Norman brigade is out again. 

If there is a problem with your wp time. Then you have to start again to get your time up anyway. 

So you might as well put the application in and hope for the best. 

Then if turned down you can re apply after you have built up the time again. 

Don't stress. 

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Oh the negative Norman brigade is out again. 

If there is a problem with your wp time. Then you have to start again to get your time up anyway. 

So you might as well put the application in and hope for the best. 

Then if turned down you can re apply after you have built up the time again. 

Don't stress. 

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. 

There are no negative Normans out - just people seeking and giving advice about maintaining continuity of WPs, which is a rather important consideration for the majority here who apply under Sections 10 and 11.  Those able to apply under Section 9, as you did, are not required to be working, as it is supposed that they are supported by their Thai husbands.  So, fortunately for them, WPs are a non-issue.

13 hours ago, Johnniey said:

If you are married, you could change your visa to non-imm based on marriage, without leaving the country. You can work on a non imm o visa.

This could be a good alternative if available.

I was just thinking about my own experience in changing jobs / work permits, it is my understanding that the reason that the swap can be done as mine was, is because when you apply for the new work permit, the requirement is to be in the country on a non immigrant entry (in the case of those that are not PR status), which Mr. PT is, once the work permit is issued, then immigration will issue a new 12 month extension of stay based on the new work permit, they will not do this until that new work permit is issued, subsequent renewals work the opposite way around, in that the immigration department renews the extension of stay first and the the labour department renews the work permit validity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This could be a good alternative if available.

I was just thinking about my own experience in changing jobs / work permits, it is my understanding that the reason that the swap can be done as mine was, is because when you apply for the new work permit, the requirement is to be in the country on a non immigrant entry (in the case of those that are not PR status), which Mr. PT is, once the work permit is issued, then immigration will issue a new 12 month extension of stay based on the new work permit, they will not do this until that new work permit is issued, subsequent renewals work the opposite way around, in that the immigration department renews the extension of stay first and the the labour department renews the work permit validity.

I changed my visa extension from marriage based to work based during the application process. However, I was with the same company so there was no break. I assume if you can change from marriage based to work based you could do it the other way too. Definitely, worth investigating. 

• Like 1

Hi all, i got one question regarding taxes, since i know the the threshold is 40k which is exactly what i get, i was wondering, if i file taxes for 40 k but i apply for various tax returns which would make my tax seem like as if i had lessor income will that make me not eligible for that particular year? or the 40k threshold is for taxes submitted initially and not for the  tax minus the tax return which i get every year.   I wont file for my return if thats the case. also due to several double taxation agreements and my profession for being a teacher , my tax is exempt in the first two years so i am sure i will get all of my previous two years paid tax back , will those years qualify for the threshold? 

2 hours ago, Christopherabhadra said:

Hi all, i got one question regarding taxes, since i know the the threshold is 40k which is exactly what i get, i was wondering, if i file taxes for 40 k but i apply for various tax returns which would make my tax seem like as if i had lessor income will that make me not eligible for that particular year? or the 40k threshold is for taxes submitted initially and not for the  tax minus the tax return which i get every year.   I wont file for my return if thats the case. also due to several double taxation agreements and my profession for being a teacher , my tax is exempt in the first two years so i am sure i will get all of my previous two years paid tax back , will those years qualify for the threshold? 

I assume you mean tax allowances, which would mean on a salary of 40k a month, you'd pay practically no tax, if you have kids at school, wife, retired parent-in-law, mortgage, insurance, etc.

All that matters is the 40k -  you are paying the tax due on this. 

Why are you exempt from paying tax for 2 years? Then you have nothing to get back???

On 5/15/2018 at 9:13 PM, sathuluv said:

Guys just checked the RG website today and found that there was a list published today (15.05.18) and my name is in there.

Wow!. Good feeling. But, still many more steps to go isn't it.

What would be the next steps now, Shall I call up SB officer and ask for it or I should wait for them to call me back?

Appreciate your feedback.

Followed up with SB Officer and finally they have asked me to go to SB Office next week to collect the document from them. Later the Amphur officer where I registered my Thai name will call to start the ID card process.

My Missus asked the SB Officer Is that anything we need to prepare or carry with us - Answer: No, nothing required. But, I will carry all my original docs for safety reasons (we all know). 

Hi aidenai or Arkedy shed some light on the copy of other documents I should request SB Officer. Then I will make the same.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Hi aidenai or Arkedy shed some light on the copy of other documents I should request SB Officer.

Congratulations. 

I recall I got the Naturalisation Certificate (120 g/cm2 paper), 2 or 3 copies of the Royal Gazette announcement including SB stamps and signatures and 1 document of receiving this all which you have to sign yourself.

A year or so later, for specific purposes, I needed certified copies of the Naturalisation Certificate so I applied for them afterwards. Perhaps you could ask for 2 certified copies.

Arkady, ever wrote about requesting a copy of the 'granting citizenship document' by H.M.K. I, however, didn't ask for a copy of the document. Later on GaryP reported that they weren't issued anymore.

Hope this helped and best of luck at the Districts Office. Don't forget, many District Offices want you to make an appointment. Walk-in doesn't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aidenai said:

Congratulations. 

I recall I got the Naturalisation Certificate (120 g/cm2 paper), 2 or 3 copies of the Royal Gazette announcement including SB stamps and signatures and 1 document of receiving this all which you have to sign yourself.

A year or so later, for specific purposes, I needed certified copies of the Naturalisation Certificate so I applied for them afterwards. Perhaps you could ask for 2 certified copies.

Arkady, ever wrote about requesting a copy of the 'granting citizenship document' by H.M.K. I, however, didn't ask for a copy of the document. Later on GaryP reported that they weren't issued anymore.

Hope this helped and best of luck at the Districts Office. Don't forget, many District Offices want you to make an appointment. Walk-in doesn't work.

What did you need the certified copy for?

12 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Followed up with SB Officer and finally they have asked me to go to SB Office next week to collect the document from them. Later the Amphur officer where I registered my Thai name will call to start the ID card process.

My Missus asked the SB Officer Is that anything we need to prepare or carry with us - Answer: No, nothing required. But, I will carry all my original docs for safety reasons (we all know). 

Hi aidenai or Arkedy shed some light on the copy of other documents I should request SB Officer. Then I will make the same.

Congratulations. The standard package you get from SB is your naturalisation certificate and a few certified copies of your announcement in the RG. The DO wanted originals and copies of these and of passport, WP, tabien baan, residence book and alien book (the last 2 for PRs only). I had to make 2 copies of everything because the tabien baan section and the ID card section each wanted their own for some reason. They needed two Thai citizens as witnesses that you really exist but accept your spouse as one of them. I went along to the DO and was told I needed to make an appointment a week ahead.  The reason for this turned out to be that they make fairly heavy weather of the process, being terrified of issued an ID card wrongly, and it took a whole morning in the tabien baan section, followed by the whole afternoon in the ID card section where they asked the same questions all over again and wanted the same documents.

I got a colour photocopy of the letter signed by HMK and a bound copy of the issue of the RG with my announcement in it from my SB officer several months later.  I asked for the letter at the time and followed up two or three times fter hearing nothing more.  I had given up hope when I got a message came saying I could come and pick it up and I got the bound RG as an unexpected bonus.  I was told at the time not to mention it to others, as they were not supposed to give it.  So you didn't hear this from me.  Funnily enough the DO asked to see the letter when I applied for my ID card, just out of interest, saying that quite a few people got them along with their naturalisation certificates.  That suggests they were commonly given out at some point but then became available only by special request, if you had a good relationship with your officer, and then, as Garry has said, not available at all.

I haven't heard of SB issuing certified copies of the naturalisation certificate and have never been asked for one of these.  Bangkok Bank and one land officer wanted to see the original and have a copy certified by me.  Bangkok Bank insisted on making the copy themselves and of course had problems as they only had an A4 sized copier and it is A3. Most people are happy with the normal self-certified copy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aidenai said:

Congratulations. 

Thanks aidenai. Appreciate your swift reply. Well noted on the extra 2 certified copies. Will keep all posted ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Congratulations. The standard package you get from SB is your naturalisation certificate and a few certified copies of your announcement in the RG. The DO wanted originals and copies of these and of passport, WP, tabien baan, residence book and alien book (the last 2 for PRs only). I had to make 2 copies of everything because the tabien baan section and the ID card section each wanted their own for some reason. They needed two Thai citizens as witnesses that you really exist but accept your spouse as one of them. I went along to the DO and was told I needed to make an appointment a week ahead.  The reason for this turned out to be that they make fairly heavy weather of the process, being terrified of issued an ID card wrongly, and it took a whole morning in the tabien baan section, followed by the whole afternoon in the ID card section where they asked the same questions all over again and wanted the same documents.

I got a colour photocopy of the letter signed by HMK and a bound copy of the issue of the RG with my announcement in it from my SB officer several months later.  I asked for the letter at the time and followed up two or three times fter hearing nothing more.  I had given up hope when I got a message came saying I could come and pick it up and I got the bound RG as an unexpected bonus.  I was told at the time not to mention it to others, as they were not supposed to give it.  So you didn't hear this from me.  Funnily enough the DO asked to see the letter when I applied for my ID card, just out of interest, saying that quite a few people got them along with their naturalisation certificates.  That suggests they were commonly given out at some point but then became available only by special request, if you had a good relationship with your officer, and then, as Garry has said, not available at all.

I haven't heard of SB issuing certified copies of the naturalisation certificate and have never been asked for one of these.  Bangkok Bank and one land officer wanted to see the original and have a copy certified by me.  Bangkok Bank insisted on making the copy themselves and of course had problems as they only had an A4 sized copier and it is A3. Most people are happy with the normal self-certified copy.

Thanks Arkady. Great piece of info. Will ask my Missus to check with the SB Officer and find if it still provided. Yes, after reading yours and few others the nightmare to update my identity to all banks will be a challenge especially the Thai banks. As the UOB and AMEX I might have some level to escalate and get sorted fingers crossed ?
Will keep you all posted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Thanks Arkady. Great piece of info. Will ask my Missus to check with the SB Officer and find if it still provided. Yes, after reading yours and few others the nightmare to update my identity to all banks will be a challenge especially the Thai banks. As the UOB and AMEX I might have some level to escalate and get sorted fingers crossed ?
Will keep you all posted.

I was just planning on keeping my old bank accounts in my previous nationality. It makes it much easier to transfer money out of Thailand if you have already set up a “salary transfer account” with your bank. From what I understand Thais have a big problem transferring money out of Thailand unless it is for some very specific reasons and a pile of supporting documents. I have never had a problem transferring large amounts out as a foreigner. 

Does anyone know if it is somehow illegal to maintain your account in your old nationality especially if you maintain your old passport?