Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

12 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

The ticket is in my original name, and I use my US passport to check in at the airline counter. Then I use my Thai passport to pass through the electronic turnstiles. Then back to the US passport to board the plane.

How about the day automatic gates won't work and you have to go through the manual queue, immigration would see a Thai national not able to show a valid boarding pass with the same name... I may be wrong but this seems a big risk to go into troubles and potentially in the direction of losing your citizenship one day (perhaps not after one trip but after running into several issues of this kind). Since showing your US passport is not really an option...

Another issue I see if about taxes or legal aspects, I don't understand how you could for instance produce documents when your US administration requires certificates like taxes paid in Thailand or anything that deals with your situation in Thailand... since your Thai documents are no longer containing your original name. I'm just curious about that.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

PS: my naturalization application was also filed before there was any requirement to file intention to renounce one’s original citizenship.

Fair enough. Requirements vary in time but unless I'm wrong the applicable laws for naturalized citizens are the same for all regardless of the qualification aspect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Sorry if this has been covered before. At the beginning when submitting/picking name, is its ok to use the Thai translation of my name, the one printed on the pink id card? 

I doubt that will work. The amphur if friendly will help you. It took them 20-30 tries to find name for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyNets said:

Aww also, is it a new first and surname? If its both, would my wife have to change her surname again to match?

Yes, it must be a recognised Thai name.

My requested name was accepted quickly.

However, you don't have to use it. Also, I believe you could change it to anything later on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, it must be a recognised Thai name.

My requested name was accepted quickly.

However, you don't have to use it. Also, I believe you could change it to anything later on.

Hmmm, I tried to use “recognized Thai names” such as my wife’s maiden name and MIL’s maiden name. Both were rejected by the helpful lady at the amphur as “already taken”. We created a hybrid of the two surnames and it was accepted. First name was easy and random, Thana, although I thought Wanla had a nice ring to it and got some laughs. (Wanla as in ‘how much per day’.)

Went with using my original name in the end.

Edited by Kwarium
Add detail

7 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Hmmm, I tried to use “recognized Thai names” such as my wife’s maiden name and MIL’s maiden name. Both were rejected by the helpful lady at the amphur as “already taken”. We created a hybrid of the two surnames and it was accepted. First name was easy and random, Thana, although I thought Wanla had a nice ring to it and got some laughs. (Wanla as in ‘how much per day’.)

Yes, I kinda meant recognized ones that weren't already taken. 

Neeranam Na Baan Nok  was not accepted!

On 1/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, Kwarium said:

Good to know I was not the only person who went through this surreal experience of being told name after name was “already taken”. After multiple attempts, I added “dee’ to a surname and it worked.

7 hours ago, jayson1 said:

Good to know I was not the only person who went through this surreal experience of being told name after name was “already taken”. After multiple attempts, I added “dee’ to a surname and it worked.

I used a Sanskrit word, which is also the name of a famous hotel, no bother! 

U need it for the registration but I would not recommend using it unless you want to hide from a foreign law :)

If you think about how your life is intertwined with all you documentation ( licence , bank accounts , credit cards etc etc ) you are up for a few hindered hours of waiting in queues to get it all re aligned. Easier to stick w existing name

ps - choose a good name ! In the Napoleon days the Dutch were forced to take on a surname, leaving a legacy for the children of guys in a drunken stupor ie “From the Testicle” ( van de kloot ) and other embarrassing names :)

As per the above - some poor child might need to explain her whole life why her name is like a hotel :) ( maybe she receives a lot of customers. :) )

Kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Haha 1

I read that one MOI interview was run on a Friday 14th and another one on a Friday 16th last year. In the recent history, is it always on Fridays and middle of the month? As I have to plan non-cancellable vacation bookings I'd be happy to avoid anything on such days - assuming there's a pattern. Any confirmation on this?

6 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I read that one MOI interview was run on a Friday 14th and another one on a Friday 16th last year. In the recent history, is it always on Fridays and middle of the month? As I have to plan non-cancellable vacation bookings I'd be happy to avoid anything on such days - assuming there's a pattern. Any confirmation on this?

It won't be in April.

7 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

LINE SB they will tell you

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Are you saying that SB notified you with the time of your MOI interview?  

I am saying that sb lined me and said a moi meeting was coming on a specific date and my name may be on the list. Unfortunately it wasnt but it seems sb is well informed the meeting dates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I am saying that sb lined me and said a moi meeting was coming on a specific date and my name may be on the list. Unfortunately it wasnt but it seems sb is well informed the meeting dates

Thanks. I was told I'd be notified by the MOI. However, my case officer is one of the older ones and hasn't been totally consistent with what he says. Best to LINE him nearer the estimated time.

26 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

When I was there in the January interview, they said that they would be doubling up the February and March interviews and dealing with them together at the same time.

May I ask what day it was in January?

Ah ok, so it willbe one merged meeting, right? Will it be Feb or March?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

38 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

When I was there in the January interview, they said that they would be doubling up the February and March interviews and dealing with them together at the same time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the upcoming election? If they double up the months after then people like me will have half the time to wait? I've just done the NIA one.

Hi, finally I got the answer from my Embassy, because it wasn't clear that my country can have dual citizenship or not.

So I have some questions, different websites wrote different information regarding the citizenship.

Some of them mention if you have a Thai wife you just need to stay in Thailand 3 years not 5, some of them says if you have wife you don't need to hold permanent residency.

In this website I read about donation NOT at the time of the application and not less than 5000THB.

So I live in Thailand almost 2 years and next year I'd like to apply for citizenship. This year we will marry, not sure is it possible this way?

If yes, what's the process right now? (Thai language I need to practice for sure more).

regarding Thai language, how long is the conversation and usually what is the topic?

Also is it possible to hold dual citizenship from Thai side? So if my country allow to hold, Thai can allow too?

Appreciate a detailed answer with side notes.

Edited by Badb0y