Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

First Dual Nationality
I am From Pakistan and i don't have dual nationality system so i attested my True Certified Copy of Passport from Embassy and NOC letter from Embassy that they Pakistan don't have any problem if i changed my nationality to Thai.
7 years i used NON -B
currently i am on NON-O Marriage visa ** Still holding WP.

According to Special Branch performa
they need Marriage for 5 years
3 Years for Workpermit
Donations, could be within 1 year before apply or 8 months Not over then 5000THB.
Tabien Baan - Yellow Book Should be over 3 years to get extra Point.

• Like 1

The interview was on a Friday.  They did not give a date for the next (combined) interview.

Thanks. Actually I wanted to know if it was around the middle of the month...
For the next one my guess is that it could be Feb then because in March they might be too busy with the preparation of the March 24 elections.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Badb0y said:

Some of them mention if you have a Thai wife you just need to stay in Thailand 3 years not 5, some of them says if you have wife you don't need to hold permanent residency. [...] So I live in Thailand almost 2 years and next year I'd like to apply for citizenship. This year we will marry, not sure is it possible this way?

Correct, if you have a Thai wife PR is no longer required. You still need 3 years of continuous employment and tax filing to be able to submit your application, but as for the marriage only 1 year is the required minimum in the case you have kid(s) together otherwise 3 years of marriage are the minimum required.  

7 hours ago, david143 said:

8 years in Thailand,
Married to Thai national for 8 years, 
Have Thai Kids
Salary 45K
Working and Paying Tax PND 91 for last 7 years.
NO NEED THAI PR.
if you are married to Thai National for 5 Years
having work Permit for 3 Years, as SB need to see your PND 91 for previous 3 years
Minimum Salary they required 40K.
** I am not Sure *** As i heard @ MOI its not required to sing National Anthem and Phra Barami but SB will sure want to listen from you.
So i complete sung both fluently and chief of SB gave me buck up as he said Melody of both are so perfect.
***Speak Thai as much as you can, use wai as much as you can, show respect as much as you can, every end word of Thai speak USE KRUB PHOM ครับผม which means , YES SIR every Govt staff feel happy to heard this word-
I learned Thai from my kids, using there school books from Kindergarten and P1 - P2.
i start reading Thai now- not good as Thai People but still can understand what the words says. Just in case 

i got 52 Points.  

I first applied my nationality application on 23 march 2561 - same day they took interview and submit my application , i sung National Anthem - Sanseon Phra barami - Speak totally Thai with SB - they handed me 3 verification letters to speed up the work , 
1- Attest Marriage Certificate *** Took 2 Days***

2- Attest Passport from Embassy and NOC Letter from Embassy- *** Took 5 Days***
3- Attest my Tabien Baan Yellow Book And Get letter of Thai name which i will use. *** took 4 days *** as i have to choose Thai First and Last Name- Not necessary if you don't want to change after approved.
All these 3 done in 10 Days. SB friend told me if you want me to do , it will took 3 months to complete, do it by yourself and bring back to me. 
i got next call in may 22 from NIA come and meet us @ 9:00 is your interview @ National Intelligence  Headquarter., very simple friendly questions finished in 15 min , they took family picture and said bye bye.

7 August 2561 i got a line message from my SB friend that we chief of SB has forward your file to MOI he send me the covering letter mentioned my name total of 15 Applicants , especially from Indians , 1 Japan 1 France.
now Since that i am waiting for my Interview Call from MOI to finalize the Process, so i am not sure when i will get a call , as 24  March 2562 Election are on head and i wonder if it will more delay.

Hope for best, anyone like to see the covering letter let me know .

I am also waiting for that MOI call, for one year since NIA.

I never got a cover letter saying that my application has been sent, but the SB officer phoned me about something else and said it had been sent.

Has anyone else not been sent the cover letter? Is it needed for the MOI interview?

• Like 1

and MOI will direct call you for Interview, after your interview done, you will receive another call to inform you that you Nationality has approved contact Special SB , then Oath Process starts, 

Waiting interview from MOI can take up-to 1.5 to 2 years, my friend got Call from MOI  after about 18 Months, in April 2018, once interview was finished, after 3 months he got a call from SB for Oath Ceremony around in august or September 2018.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, david143 said:

** I am not Sure *** As i heard @ MOI its not required to sing National Anthem and Phra Barami but SB will sure want to listen from you.

This was not required for myself and all others I know. Maybe you were just under the 50 required points. 

18 hours ago, Badb0y said:

Also is it possible to hold dual citizenship from Thai side? So if my country allow to hold, Thai can allow too?

There is no law that states this but no law that is enforced to take away dual citizenship. 

18 hours ago, Badb0y said:

Some of them mention if you have a Thai wife you just need to stay in Thailand 3 years not 5, some of them says if you have wife you don't need to hold permanent residency.

In this website I read about donation NOT at the time of the application and not less than 5000THB.

So I live in Thailand almost 2 years and next year I'd like to apply for citizenship. This year we will marry, not sure is it possible this way?

If yes, what's the process right now? (Thai language I need to practice for sure more).

regarding Thai language, how long is the conversation and usually what is the topic?

It is easy to make a donation and get the date backdated. People are happy to take your money ????

After you get married, you have to wait at least 3 years.

Simple conversation like why are you here in Thailand, what is your job, etc. The written test is pretty simple, so learn to read. When is Mother's day? etc, multiple choice, 10 questions. The officer corrected one of my answers, before finishing, as it was wrong. 

21 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

That sounds about right. if anyone is interested my timeline for people these days is something like - 

Apply at SB

Wait 1 or 2 months for NIA interview.

Wait 12 months to 2 years for MOI interview.

Wait 2 to 6 months for Oath.

Wait 3 - 6 months for name in Royal Gazzette.

Total = minimum 1 year 6 months

maximum 3 years 2 months

Of course, it could take longer for unforseen situations.

Even the maximum time is not long to wait really to give a lifetime of no visas, and equal rights! 

Your effort to summarize the range of expected timelines is noble.

However, my case based on marriage was ‘normal’ and it took 4 and 1/2 years. Completed November 2018. I posted more timeline details previously.

No singing was required and Thai wife can help with all conversations/interviews including reading the multiple choice test at SB.

My MOI interview was the last Monday of the month. 15 months later everything was all done.

As posted previously by many, there is no ‘normal’ timeline for any step of the process.

Good Luck all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

No singing was required and Thai wife can help with all conversations/interviews including reading the multiple choice test at SB.

Wow, that's interesting. I'm surprised the MOI accept that. 

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

However, my case based on marriage was ‘normal’ and it took 4 and 1/2 years. Completed November 2018. I posted more timeline details previously.

I looked for the timeline but couldn't find it. 

I wonder if newer citizens took less time because of the new government?

28 minutes ago, Rugon said:

I also spent quite a bit of time looking for the ‘normal’ timeline while I was under process. There isn’t such a thing it seems. Just remember, the wait is worth it!

1 hour ago, Rugon said:

When the Junta took over and General Anupong took over responsibility for the Ministry of the Interior, this section was cleaned up, and they started clearing up the backlog. So, yes, this government greatly improved matters concerning citizenship. So despite my great disdain for this government, I cannot in all honesty say that they haven't improved anything. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no Time frame, but as i heard from Special Branch, they said starting from 2014 they speed up work, before it was even 5 years, but now they reduce time frame maximum 3 years to 3.5 year.

this is the same word i mentioned is from SB officer.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

There is no Time frame, but as i heard from Special Branch, they said starting from 2014 they speed up work, before it was even 5 years, but now they reduce time frame maximum 3 years to 3.5 year.

this is the same word i mentioned is from SB officer.

I was told that 3 years was expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

When the Junta took over and General Anupong took over responsibility for the Ministry of the Interior, this section was cleaned up, and they started clearing up the backlog. So, yes, this government greatly improved matters concerning citizenship. So despite my great disdain for this government, I cannot in all honesty say that they haven't improved anything. 

3 cheers for the Junta!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Your effort to summarize the range of expected timelines is noble.

My MOI interview was the last Monday of the month. 15 months later everything was all done.

As posted previously by many, there is no ‘normal’ timeline for any step of the process.

Good Luck all!

Thanks for the added information. I'm looking at less than 3 years if it is 15 months after the MOI. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 10:13 AM, Rugon said:

Wow, that's interesting. I'm surprised the MOI accept that. 

Thai ability helps towards the points count but isn’t compulsory (eg singing ) if applying with a Thai spouse.

As such, if your points are coming from other categories (income, education etc) then having he help will probably be less of an issue. 

• Thanks 1