BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

SBK - I PMed a bit with Chattete and I seemed to get that she didn't think that it wasn't so necessary to be well connected, as like you most of our immediate contacts here are local. I do believe she wasn't based in BKK either.

Your wife should sail through then Samran :o

SBK - I PMed a bit with Chattete and I seemed to get that she didn't think that it wasn't so necessary to be well connected, as like you most of our immediate contacts here are local. I do believe she wasn't based in BKK either.

Your wife should sail through then Samran :D

Chatette told me the same, and frankly, I'm happy that is the case on this one. I was just showing off!! :o

Good job someone's Thai husband doesn't have a Thai bureaucracy phobia :D Thanks from us too :o

haha. Actually, in a previous life, I used to work for them, so I became accustomed.

In reality though, the guy down at the National Police HQ was incredibly helpful. He knew what all the documents were, and how to get them. And that is the thing with Thailand. I don't think most things are particularly hard, they just require alot of patience!

Once I've done it once however, I think I'll start charging 200K to put together an application? What do you say?

Good job someone's Thai husband doesn't have a Thai bureaucracy phobia :D Thanks from us too :D

haha. Actually, in a previous life, I used to work for them, so I became accustomed.

In reality though, the guy down at the National Police HQ was incredibly helpful. He knew what all the documents were, and how to get them. And that is the thing with Thailand. I don't think most things are particularly hard, they just require alot of patience!

Once I've done it once however, I think I'll start charging 200K to put together an application? What do you say?

I'd pay you to do mine!

Thanks once again for the info. So, we need to get a personal income tax card for my husband (incidentally, I thought he was the only one who gets nervous about even the thought of Thai bureaucracy on the phone or otherwise. I get my co-teacher at school to do the phoning). Would he need to prove his minimum income or B15k per month? He doesn't even use a bank account for the orchard. Would he need 3 years' proof of earnings? :o

Sounds like we could apply asap then, as we've been married 6 years, but I've only been in Thailand for 3.

Sounds pretty interesting, they seem to have made it a lot easier, although I still believe there will be the long waiting period for processing... Might be the right time to take the bull by the horns. Let us know how it goes if you proceed Samran :D

for us the right time is pretty soon. I just have to get the documentation sorted.

Amongst other things, I need to get my wife onto a Yellow Tabieen Baan in the Ampur which I'm registered. We also have to get the Ampur to verify we are married, given that our marriage certificate is from Australia (either via a Dor Roh 2, 4 or 22, or just all of them!!). Given that I had to get my ID card there, it could potentially be a PITA to get these, but get them we will.

The rest of it I have, or know how to get easilty - ie miltary exemption (have..legally!!), tax returns, 4 witnesses to vouch for the marriage, daughters BC (important - you have to be married 3 years if no kids, 1 year if you have kids), lots of photos and the 5 baht applicaton fee (seriously).

The yellow tabien bahn was easier than I thought. It's yellow because it's considered temporary. To get mine, I had my passport certified by the embassy, then translated into Thai (and the same with our UK marriage certificate), then we went to the amper with my husband's blue tabien bahn, and my docs (and an immigration letter stating that I lived in Thailand) and got Thai marriage certs, then we got the yellow tabien bahn. Sorry if it's a bit vague, as I can't remember all details now, but a copy of info from the national police HQ on how to get the yellow tabien bahn made it all much quicker and easier.

I'm hoping that citizenship will be a similar process (in that it seems so complicated and impossible to get valid info for, but when you actually do it, it's a piece of cake).... :o

I wonder if my husband can just show a bank account with money in or show his land ownership papers, rather than prove earnings of B15k per month for the last year. He pays some kind of land tax, so I wonder if that can count towards my nationality app. Hey, another thing, he was arrested and paid a fine for gambling a few years ago (only for 5 baht coins!) do you think this could hold us back?

From the document I got on applying, it is pretty clear that he has to prove that he paid tax on a salary of at least 15K/month in the past year. You need to show a tax receipt to do this. I'd have a chat to the revenue department in your local area on how he could report his income. Remember, on a salary of 15K per month (reported) the actual tax liablity would be tiny, perhaps a couple of thousand baht all up for the year.

congratuations!! am in my fourth year of Residency so will be starting the process l guess next year....!!! great tips and yes, patience is much needed !!! Sawasdee pee mai krab !

Matt - you no longer need to have PR for 5 years before you apply for citizenship. As long as you have been here for 5 years on consecutive non-imm visas before you apply (counting the time you've had PR) AND you have PR (irrespective of how long) then you can apply. The rules changed in May. Go down to the Police Headquarters (Special Branch) and ask for the application forms.

More information on the change here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1505297

Edited by TheChiefJustice

From the document I got on applying, it is pretty clear that he has to prove that he paid tax on a salary of at least 15K/month in the past year. You need to show a tax receipt to do this. I'd have a chat to the revenue department in your local area on how he could report his income. Remember, on a salary of 15K per month (reported) the actual tax liablity would be tiny, perhaps a couple of thousand baht all up for the year.

Thanks once again Samran, you're a wealth of information! I think what I might do is just pay that amount into my husbands bank account for the next year, then he can get a tax card and do the payment. Good luck on your wife's tabien bahn. :o

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of making an issue, there are numerous reasons why anyone would want to obtain thai citizenship, whatever their reasons it is not anyones business to to slag then off or to post negitivity. This thread is not he place to spout off about issue you may have with Thailand or to quesiton other peoples choice to go for PR or citizenship.

Just in case anyone was thinking of trying to put a downer on this thread :o

Thanks once again Samran, you're a wealth of information! I think what I might do is just pay that amount into my husbands bank account for the next year, then he can get a tax card and do the payment. Good luck on your wife's tabien bahn. :o

remember, if you are thinking of applying yourself in 2008, then you'll need tax records showing payment was made in 2007. Normally, an employer in early Jan 2008 will issue an Por Ngor Dor 90? showing your earnings from the previous year, with any tax taken out, you then have a couple of months to submit it to the RD via a tax return.

Now, I'm not sure how you report 'cash in hand' or 'consulting' income here in Thailand that may come by way of informal jobs that your husband 'may' have done for you say in 2007. So it is best to ask how this can be reported, and whether social security payments need to be made.

Now I did the sums last night, and someone earning 15K per month pays exactly zero tax (excluding a 750baht/month to social security), so a chat with the RD guys to ask how you declared this 'income' from informal 'work' your husband did in 2007 may mean that you have one of the bits of paper ready to go for a 2008 application.

You can check the calculations here on a spreadsheet I put together in the past. As you can see, 15K per month (fill in the blue box) incurs no tax.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=16490

My husband called the number Samran posted today and they referred him to the website www.sb.police.go.th (in Thai) and told him to go and see our local special branch in Suratthani. I'm sure he probably said more than that, but we haven't had time to have a proper chat about it yet. Hoping to start the yellow Tabien Baan process on Friday.

My husband called the number Samran posted today and they referred him to the website www.sb.police.go.th (in Thai) and told him to go and see our local special branch in Suratthani. I'm sure he probably said more than that, but we haven't had time to have a proper chat about it yet. Hoping to start the yellow Tabien Baan process on Friday.

Bwaaah haaa haaa!!! The circle begins anew!

OK, we tried Special Branch in Surat Thani, Provincial level and Amphur level, and neither office even knew it was his job. Nice man (provincial), but clueless. You need to make sure with the bangkok guy which office you are supposed to see. And perhaps get some instructions for him too.

GOOD LUCK!!