Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

5 minutes ago, Oasis said:

Could be able to vote in this general election that is going to held in March 2019 if not then how long need to wait to have voting rights in Thailand?

Thanks!

5 years from gaining citizenship. So I miss out this year but should be able to vote in any subsequent election as long as it does not come too soon. You too don't qualify for voting this year.  We were in the same batch I believe. 

Just rechecked and confirm, we were in the same batch.

Edited by GarryP

On 2/19/2019 at 2:09 PM, Neeranam said:

They never got a photo of my bedroom. 

No pictures required at SB at Bangkok. I even asked if they wanted to see them (I brought a bunch just in case). They wouldn’t even look at them. 

Immigration is another story. They get a coy picture of me and my wife sitting on our bed updated annually. The whole process is ridiculous and I now have it down to a science that still kills 3 days of preparing paperwork, driving to the office and waiting a least half a day to submit and pick up my visa (on two separate days, of course). Citizenship can’t come soon enough for me... I just wish I could get an MOI interview. 

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

5 years from gaining citizenship. So I miss out this year but should be able to vote in any subsequent election as long as it does not come too soon. You too don't qualify for voting this year.  We were in the same batch I believe.

Thanks GarryP, yes we were in the same batch. 

I think you will find that the majority of people on this thread who applied for citizenship did it themselves without the need for a lawyer. Most of the documents you will need have to be obtained yourself anyway- the lawyer can't do it for you.  Also, there are not that many lawyers who know the process and most are as much in the dark as you are (regardless of their claims otherwise). That is, you end up paying a lot of money but benefit very little from it. If you are not strong in spoken Thai, you could get your wife to go along with you and then get the information in a face to face meeting with the SB officers. 

Agree with Garry on this. My application was handcrafted one. All documents from my side is important other than our marriage certificate and yellow book. All the best. If you’re going with a lawyer please be aware the price you pay this. As there is no instant feedback unlike the NON-O (THAI Spouse) visa. Any lawyer who has better relationships can help to get the stamp quickly.

Patience and perseverance will be required though.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think you will find that the majority of people on this thread who applied for citizenship did it themselves without the need for a lawyer. Most of the documents you will need have to be obtained yourself anyway- the lawyer can't do it for you.  Also, there are not that many lawyers who know the process and most are as much in the dark as you are (regardless of their claims otherwise). That is, you end up paying a lot of money but benefit very little from it. If you are not strong in spoken Thai, you could get your wife to go along with you and then get the information in a face to face meeting with the SB officers. 

Agreed

They actually write it all up, you need to get the docs they need

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When was your NIA interview?

Mine was last January and still waiting for MOI. However, I think 1.5 years is about average wait.

NIA i think was September or October 2017. My file was sent to MOI in March or April last year. I know I have no right to complain.  Most have waited far longer than I have at that this point.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:18 PM, khongaeng said:

NIA i think was September or October 2017. My file was sent to MOI in March or April last year. I know I have no right to complain.  Most have waited far longer than I have at that this point.  

Did you get a letter saying it was sent to the MOI?

I didn't, but the SB told me on the phone that it was sent last March. My NIA was last January.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, Neeranam said:

Did you get a letter saying it was sent to the MOI?

I didn't, but the SB told me on the phone that it was sent last March. My NIA was last January.

No, everyone I have talked to lately said they never received a letter. confirmation was given only by talking to SB directly. I received confirmation via LINE after I asked the officer that processed my application

• Like 1

Dear all,

For apply to Citizenship, about income when you're married, I understand that it's not less of 40,000 baht, For how long do you have to prove? Are also 3 years like the taxes, the work permit and non-visa?

Is it possible to Apply in Chiang Mai? Would be a good option? or maybe not? I read about this is in www.thaicitizenship.com.

Important note: If you are based outside of Bangkok and registered in another province, applications need to be made at the local division of Special Branch in that province. Except for possibly Chiang Mai and Phuket, applying via local Special Branch offices are a non-starter. Local officers aren’t trained or equipped to handle applications and if they do somehow do take your application, there are stories where peoples applications remain there gathering dust.

The long and the short of it is that the most efficient strategy is to bite bullet and find a friend who will allow for your names to be put on their Bangkok based house registration. The Special Branch people in Bangkok know the challenges of applying elsewhere, so they won’t mind at all that you have moved your registration to Bangkok simply for the purpose of the application.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Medinitas
More info

For apply to Citizenship, about income when you're married, I understand that it's not less of 40,000 baht, For how long do you have to prove? Are also 3 years like the taxes, the work permit and non-visa?

YES , You need last 3 years PND 91 paid Taxes With Holding Work Permit. Salary and Tax Paid on 40000THB or UP .
officially married with Thai For minimum 5 Years requirement , NON-O , NON-B any option you can have no problem.

Bangkok SB is professionally handle the application until it will send to MOI.
outside bangkok really don't know, i am living in Samutprakarn i went to SB office they even don't know that Foreigner can change Nationality , so i need to move my yellow book in my Bangkok family friend house just to apply, SB Bangkok don't mind for this.

Regards

6 hours ago, david143 said:

yeah in that report 15 Feb 2019 Interviews / pictures Jew was also there . not sure for which reason but sitting in waiting .

By Jew do you mean Israeli, because last i remember jew wasn't a nationality and even if this individual was israeli then its not a must that he has to be a jew, they have around 30% Muslims holding israeli citizenship in their country.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, yankee99 said:

Thanks for the update. 

not many candidates in suits in the last picture 

I don't believe suits are that important.

The big question, when is the next one and who will be called!

20 minutes ago, Badb0y said:

When you apply for the citizenship usually how long it takes to get appointment?

My experience: SB boss interview +5 months (some applicants got it in just few weeks), NIA was +1 month after this, I'm currently +18 months after NIA and waiting to be called for MOI interview (and counting...).

HI just asked a question about criminal record checks. got an opportunity to download something but don't actually trust any document downloaded from tv mod or not

anyone know if it is from home country or if from thailand

background checks are from Thailand, its nothing to do with your Home country , finger prints were taken to examine your background , once it cleared your application will forward to NIA and then to MOI.

5 hours ago, david143 said:

background checks are from Thailand, its nothing to do with your Home country , finger prints were taken to examine your background , once it cleared your application will forward to NIA and then to MOI.

One of the 4 envelopes I got from SB was to take to the British embassy for them to say my record was clean.

i got letter from SB 

to verify passport true copy and Letter of NOC , that Embassy has no objection if i change my Nationality to Thai, 

Home Background checks will done after assurance letter and surrender of Passport and national ID card of home country, the procedure is 4 weeks,