Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 hours ago, david143 said:

i got letter from SB 

to verify passport true copy and Letter of NOC , that Embassy has no objection if i change my Nationality to Thai, 

Home Background checks will done after assurance letter and surrender of Passport and national ID card of home country, the procedure is 4 weeks,

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know when the MOI next interview is?

A watched pot never boils!

Hang in there. 

Try and forget it for a few months or more...

The waiting time will pass much easier. I even lost track of how long I had been waiting at one point. It was a pleasant (complete) surprise to finally get a call again.

8-)

K

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

A watched pot never boils!

Hang in there. 

Try and forget it for a few months or more...

The waiting time will pass much easier. I even lost track of how long I had been waiting at one point. It was a pleasant (complete) surprise to finally get a call again.

8-)

K

Yes, you are right. My problem is that I despise the job I'm in. I want to retire!

@Kwarium , so how long you wait after NIA interview to received a call from MOI and how many days they called you before for interview , and wat questions they asked , and how long took in interview

21 hours ago, david143 said:

@Kwarium , so how long you wait after NIA interview to received a call from MOI and how many days they called you before for interview , and wat questions they asked , and how long took in interview

The waits between steps in the process is all over the place. My MOI wait was longer than ‘average’, but not the longest, by far.

I posted my tiomeline here in May of 2018. (Post #3758 on page 251) in case link fails.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/?do=findComment&comment=12959164

4.5 years all in to receiving Thai ID.

good luck!

@neeranam -ugh. I can relate. I was asked for work permit at my oath at SB, which was a surprise, but I still had it!

Edited by Kwarium
Add post and page number.

10 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm glad to hear the backlog gets processed. It must be the 3rd one this year then, as Jan and Feb were also reported.

2019 First meeting was on 18 Jan and 2nd was on 15 Feb 2019.
and 3rd was on 14 March, 

i think in April there may be delay due to Songkran 5 holiday, lets see will update you all again.

Edited by david143
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

The waits between steps in the process is all over the place. My MOI wait was longer than ‘average’, but not the longest, by far.

I posted my tiomeline here in May of 2018. (Post #3758 on page 251) in case link fails.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/?do=findComment&comment=12959164

4.5 years all in to receiving Thai ID.

good luck!

@neeranam -ugh. I can relate. I was asked for work permit at my oath at SB, which was a surprise, but I still had it!

@kwarium 4.5 , it took alot time, recently 1 of my friend completed in 2 year and 7 months until ID.
these days they took interview meeting every month, btw thanks for info.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:40 PM, yankee99 said:

reading the above experience reaffirms my decision to change my yellow book to Bangkok 

I will do the same. How are you going to do it? I don't have any close friend or someone who can help me in BKK.

Hi all,

I have been reading several pages back and I see that to apply in Chiang Mai for the citizenship, that is where I live, it is going to be much more complicated and the process much longer. I'm gonna apply for the yellow house book since my purpose is to apply for the citizenship in Bangkok, what advice do you give me to be able to register in Bangkok and apply there? I have no close friend who helps me to register in his house, any recommendation? Do you think it would be better to register in Chiang Mai, get the book, then move to Bangkok and change the address there would be easier?

Thank you

Edited by Medinitas

2 hours ago, Medinitas said:

Hi all,

I have been reading several pages back and I see that to apply in Chiang Mai for the citizenship, that is where I live, it is going to be much more complicated and the process much longer. I'm gonna apply for the yellow house book since my purpose is to apply for the citizenship in Bangkok, what advice do you give me to be able to register in Bangkok and apply there? I have no close friend who helps me to register in his house, any recommendation? Do you think it would be better to register in Chiang Mai, get the book, then move to Bangkok and change the address there would be easier?

Thank you

it really depends on when you're going to apply for citizenship I'm assuming a couple years down the line since you're just getting your yellow book.  if that's the case I would wait to see how things develop in Chiang Mai as there are other people in the pipeline applying for citizenship there that you can get information and feedback from if it is really necessary to move to Bangkok.

In the meantime get the yellow book right away to establish residency. I think if you moved to Bangkok you'll have to be on a friend's blue book unless you buy a condo there.  I think that's the only two options if you are going to apply in Bangkok.  Either way the process of moving residence should be fairly easy in Bangkok.

27 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

it really depends on when you're going to apply for citizenship I'm assuming a couple years down the line since you're just getting your yellow book.  if that's the case I would wait to see how things develop in Chiang Mai as there are other people in the pipeline applying for citizenship there that you can get information and feedback from if it is really necessary to move to Bangkok.

In the meantime get the yellow book right away to establish residency. I think if you moved to Bangkok you'll have to be on a friend's blue book unless you buy a condo there.  I think that's the only two options if you are going to apply in Bangkok.  Either way the process of moving residence should be fairly easy in Bangkok.

Thank you very much for your answer.

What do you mean "you'll have to be in a friend's blue book"? Could a Thai person add a foreigner in his/her own blue book and that means being registered in the place where he/she is registered?

4 hours ago, Medinitas said:

Thank you very much for your answer.

What do you mean "you'll have to be in a friend's blue book"? Could a Thai person add a foreigner in his/her own blue book and that means being registered in the place where he/she is registered?

As a foreigner, you will never show up in a Blue Book, definitely not for a house that a Thai owns, and even if you own the condo yourself.    Your name will always be separate in a Yellow book.  I have moved my name multiple times to different addresses and different Provinces.  It is a very painless process, but it is different from a Thai with blue book.  Thais only have to go to the office at their destination, with the owner of the house at the destination, to pull their registration to the new house.  A foreigner in a yellow book must first report their moving at their origin office, then the owner of the house at the destination needs to go with the old yellow book and any paperwork given at the origin office to the destination office and register the foreigner in their house.  A foreigner (in my experience) does not need to be present at any of these registration changes, only the owner of the house at origin and destination.  In my experience, this process also doesn't take long (certainly not a whole day like most other processes), but just be aware of the extra step for foreigners. 

I also vote that it is infinitely easier to have a house registration in Bangkok, even if you live outside of Bangkok.  Applying with the Special Branch in Bangkok is straightforward, and though will take patience and waiting, will get you to the goal in the end.  Even in Chiangmai, others have reported that the process is more convoluted requiring addition interviews and approvals.

Edited by khongaeng

13 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

As a foreigner, you will never show up in a Blue Book.

My name is on the blue book and everyone else that has permanent residency. Thank you for clarifying the process of moving yellow book. Does anybody know what the process would be for permanent residents with a blue book?

43 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Does anybody know what the process would be for permanent residents with a blue book?

You would need somebody in Bangkok to allow you to registered in their house book. After that it is a fairly simple process to move your registration.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need somebody in Bangkok to allow you to registered in their house book. After that it is a fairly simple process to move your registration.

Thanks ubonjoe.  Would that be the same process as described by khongaeng, where I could just send the forms and docs to my friend in BKK and he could take care of it? or did I actually need to be in BKK for that?

Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Thanks ubonjoe.  Would that be the same process as described by khongaeng, where I could just send the forms and docs to my friend in BKK and he could take care of it? or did I actually need to be in BKK for that?

Thanks in advance!

I almost certain you will need to be at the Amphoe or Khet to  change your house book registry.

Hi all,

I would like to know, if there is any way to apply to citizenship being Spanish, I just realized that only Spain accepts dual citizenship with Latin American countries but not with any country in Asia. Do you think that the best option would be the permanent residence and forget about citizenship or can I dream and still there is any way to apply?

Thank you.

Edited by Medinitas

42 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

I would like to know, if there is any way to apply to citizenship being Spanish, I just realized that only Spain accepts dual citizenship with Latin American countries but not with any country in Asia. Do you think that the best option would be the permanent residence and forget about citizenship or can I dream and still there is any way to apply?

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."  But elsewhere it says it's lost - very confusing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

23 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
23 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."  But elsewhere it says it's lost - very confusing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

I'm still doubting too, let's wait and see what the experts say

Edited by Medinitas

7 hours ago, Medinitas said:

I have heard that you can renounce your nationality of origin, obtain citizenship and re-apply for Spanish nationality again while maintaining the Thai, is that correct? thank you but I'm so confused.

Section 19. Revocation of Naturalized Citizen

The Minister is empowered to revoke Thai nationality of a person who acquires Thai nationality by naturalization if it appears that:

• The naturalization was effected by concealment of facts or making any statement false in material particular;
  • There is evidence to show that he still makes use of his former nationality;
  • He commits any act prejudicial to the security or conflicting the interests of the State, or amounting to an insult to the nation;
  • He commits any act contrary to public order or good morals;
  • He has resided abroad without having a domicile in Thailand for more than five years;
  • He still retains the nationality of the country at war with Thailand.

The revocation of Thai nationality under this section may extend to children of a person whose Thai nationality is revoked in case such children are not sui juris and acquire Thai nationality under Section 12, paragraph two and the Minister shall, after the order for revocation of Thai nationality has been given, shall submit the matter to the King for information.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, khongaeng said:

I also vote that it is infinitely easier to have a house registration in Bangkok, even if you live outside of Bangkok.  Applying with the Special Branch in Bangkok is straightforward, and though will take patience and waiting, will get you to the goal in the end.  Even in Chiangmai, others have reported that the process is more convoluted requiring addition interviews and approvals.

I second that. I tried to do it in Isarn and it was a nightmare. 

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm planning to change my visa extension to one based on marriage.

Do you think this would affect my application in any way?

No it will not effect anything on your nationality application i m in thailand for 12 years on Marriage O with WP.

And applicant of Nationality.

Nothing to worry

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm planning to change my visa extension to one based on marriage.

Do you think this would affect my application in any way?

During my 3 year period before applying based on marriage, I had a visa through the BOI company I was working for and then a transition to visa through my wife.  This caused me no issues when applying.  Then after applying, and 2 years ago when I renewed my visa I found out another type of visa through having Thai children (which is essentially the same as visa through wife, but with a requirement to have 400,000 baht parked in a bank account for 1 month instead of 3 for the marriage visa).  I gave my officer a call and asked him if I could change my visa from visa based on Marriage to visa based on Thai children, he said it wouldn't be an issue.  He only asked why I wanted to change, because the stipulation is if you are divorced (or possibly separated) from your wife during your application process, your application is rejected.  I ended up not changing my visa type, but from everything I gather based on my experience, you only need to maintain continuity of your visa to be eligible, regardless of visa type.  If you are extending your visa in Thailand, no matter the type, your application is fine.  If you leave the country to apply for another visa and come back in to the country, your continuity is broken and your application is void.  

• Thanks 1