Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

45 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I travel a lot and in some months I am out of the country more than once a week. Mostly one- to three-day trips to neighbouring countries. I understand that once my name is announced in the RG, I am a Thai and can only use Thai ID and passport, but it will take a while until I get those documents. If I use my original passport in the meantime, does that count as a violation of the rules, and the Thai citizenship will be cancelled again?

Tricky one, but probably best to err on the side of caution maybe?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I travel a lot and in some months I am out of the country more than once a week. Mostly one- to three-day trips to neighbouring countries. I understand that once my name is announced in the RG, I am a Thai and can only use Thai ID and passport, but it will take a while until I get those documents. If I use my original passport in the meantime, does that count as a violation of the rules, and the Thai citizenship will be cancelled again?

nobody at immigration will be aware that you have been announced in the RG. It's not like your passport is flagged that you have dual citizenship. it's nothing to worry about. i took a trip that i had planned months prior in between RG and ID. 

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Shouldn't be a probably, even if somebody went by the book and renounced their previous citizenship, they would need to do that once they got the ID card and passport in hand, i knew somebody who had their American Visa on their previous passport and even after they became Thai they didn't make a Thai passport right away and traveled to the US using his old passport for atleast 2-3 months.

3 hours ago, echrist said:

nobody at immigration will be aware that you have been announced in the RG. It's not like your passport is flagged that you have dual citizenship. it's nothing to worry about. i took a trip that i had planned months prior in between RG and ID. 

Thanks a lot, especially for your practical experience.

3 hours ago, Tylor said:

Shouldn't be a probably, even if somebody went by the book and renounced their previous citizenship, they would need to do that once they got the ID card and passport in hand, i knew somebody who had their American Visa on their previous passport and even after they became Thai they didn't make a Thai passport right away and traveled to the US using his old passport for atleast 2-3 months.

Well noted. So it is not a serious offence.

Just a quick update , Already got my ID in hand, managed to get the documents for SB and the Khet luckily didn't give me too much trouble ???? however this is not the usual case, the papers at SB 99% of the time take 2 weeks to complete and the Khet usually gives appointments around 9-14 days from when you submit your papers to make an ID card.

Good luck to everyone else in process 

18 minutes ago, Tylor said:

Just a quick update , Already got my ID in hand, managed to get the documents for SB and the Khet luckily didn't give me too much trouble ???? however this is not the usual case, the papers at SB 99% of the time take 2 weeks to complete and the Khet usually gives appointments around 9-14 days from when you submit your papers to make an ID card.

Congratulations. Passport next.

48 minutes ago, Tylor said:

Congrats.

I picked up my naturalization certificate this week from Police HQ, photos were taken with the Sarawat and myself certificate in hand and he told me to be a good citizen and uphold the law etc.  I walked a few minutes to Siam station, went the the ticket counter and asked to change my Rabbit card to a Senior card.  The ticket office apologized that this was for Thai citizens only.  I pulled out my oversized naturalization certificate from the envelope I was carrying, she took one glace at it, and within minutes I was in possession of a Senior Rabbit card with 50% discount for the BTS.  Benefit #1 for me!  The Khet have me booked for two weeks to go through the paperwork as they are only handling one person a day for naturalization.  All good.  I should have TAbien Baan, ID card and passport completed by the end of the year as well as returning PR/Work Permit/Police Book/ Immigrant VIsa cancellation.

18 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

Does anyone know if Spaniards can obtain Thai citizenship?  or if someone knows someone who has done it?  Not sure if I can apply, being Spanish.

No problem to apply for Thai nationality.

The question remaining is does Spain allow you to hold dual nationalities. 

I found this. https://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."

Also more info here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to apply for Thai nationality.

The question remaining is does Spain allow you to hold dual nationalities. 

I found this. https://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."

Also more info here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

This is what I understood.

Once here, I don't want to lose Spanish nationality. I had thought about losing my nationality (since it is one of the requirements to apply to Thai citizenship), but after 3 years I'll recover it again. Then I would not end up losing my nationality and as I understand it, I could get Thai citizenship in this way, being Spanish.

25 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

I had thought about losing my nationality (since it is one of the requirements to apply to Thai citizenship), but after 3 years I'll recover it again.

You only have to do a statement that you will renounce your existing nationality when you apply for Thai nationality. You do not have to actually do it after you get Thai nationality. 

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to do a statement that you will renounce your existing nationality when you apply for Thai nationality. You do not have to actually do it after you get Thai nationality. 

But, does this statement have to be sealed and signed by the embassy of my country? how can i do it? Can my embassy get me in trouble?

2 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

But, does this statement have to be sealed and signed by the embassy of my country? how can i do it? Can my embassy get me in trouble?

Your statement has to witnessed by your embassy. It is just a statement of intent so it should not be a problem.

37 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

I guess, it must be a statement written in Thai right?

I am sure it will need to be in Spanish. Then you have to have it translated to Thai and then have it certified by the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure it will need to be in Spanish. Then you have to have it translated to Thai and then have it certified by the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

I had mine translated but did not have to have it certified by the Dept. of Consular Affairs. I handed in the original and the translation. Actually, none of my translated documents had to be certified, which was surprising. 

35 minutes ago, echrist said:

I had mine translated but did not have to have it certified by the Dept. of Consular Affairs. I handed in the original and the translation. Actually, none of my translated documents had to be certified, which was surprising. 

in Spanish?

On 12/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, Tylor said:

Congratulations!

So you mean that your name was on the royal Gazette you had to wait 2 weeks to get the papers from SB?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Congratulations!

So you mean that your name was on the royal Gazette you had to wait 2 weeks to get the papers from SB?

I think he's referring to the final step in the process - submitting the papers (certificate of naturalisation and copy of the Gazette) to the ampher. A lot of ampher staff are completely unfamiliar with the procedure to change your nationality in their system and give you an ID card.

I was told by some very confused looking ampher staff that they'd 'let me know when they'd figured it out'. Impatient as I was to get the final step done, I changed my address to a Klong San ampher (where my then girlfriend lived), and they did it on the spot, with some very helpful prompting from the SB staff.

Archived