Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 1/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, echrist said:

I was at immigration for 5 hours to cancel my visa (i never had PR). they require you to queue up with all the poor guys renewing their visas ???? also seem not so aware of the process of canceling a visa. treated me a bit as if i was asking permission to extend the visa.  good for you that surrendering PR was more efficient. if i had to do it over again, i would have left the country on a short weekend trip and returned on my thai passport. 

Yeah, my wife went into immigration at 10am and didn’t leave till after closing when she cancelled her visa! 

9 hours ago, khongaeng said:

The first time my child entered Thailand on his newly obtained Thai Passport from overseas, he was questioned at immigration.  Since it is expected that you have an exit stamp already in your passport when you "come back to Thailand" this raises questions.  This was in the years before the electronic gates.  Another child who obtained a Thai passport while in Thailand after entering Thailand on a foreign passport and then "overstaying" was able to get through immigration at the airport with minimal hassle. Of course this child had Thai nationality through birth through their parent, so I'm not sure if it is different treatment than a naturalized Thai.

I do like the idea of just exiting Thailand on your foreign passport and then re-entering using your Thai passport, instead of going through the trouble of cancelling your visa at immigration.  I asked immigration at the overstay fine counter at Suvarnabhumi last time I was there, and they seemed to not be 100% confident in what should be done, but said that I had to go to immigration at Chaengwattana to cancel my visa before flying.  It would be great if someone who has experience in doing this could chime in.

When the day comes that I finally have a Thai passport, I think that I will do it this way and use the e-gates.  If I am questioned, I will say, "sorry I didn't know I had to cancel my visa first and exit Thailand as a Thai, and my paperwork to cancel my previous nationality has not been finalized yet" which is true in my case because in my case renouncing citizenship is not a simple one stop at my embassy.  

If I am not mistaken, I recall someone on this forum canceled his visa by exiting the country and re-entering on his Thai passport. 

48 minutes ago, david143 said:

any body had meeting this month, one of my friend almost applied in same time 2018 march but still not got call for interview in MOi .

I understand you were lucky to get your MOI quickly, however the average waiting time (if there's one) between the start of the application and the MOI interview is closer to 1.5-2 years than 12 months (mine was 28 months). So under normal circumstances your friend could expect something by the end of the year, if lucky, I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I understand you were lucky to get your MOI quickly, however the average waiting time (if there's one) between the start of the application and the MOI interview is closer to 1.5-2 years than 12 months (mine was 28 months). So under normal circumstances your friend could expect something by the end of the year, if lucky, I think.

Thank you big brother , my documents was sent to MoI on 10 Aug 2018 and interview in MOI was 17 dec 2019.exact 16 months and 6 days.

Hope so he will get call sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, aidenai said:

* Approval by the MOI

* Approval by His Majesty The King

* Oath of Allegiance at the SB

* Announcement in the Royal Gazette

Just to be complete:

* Approval by the MOI

* Approval by the Prime Minister (I think)

* Approval by His Majesty The King

* Oath of Allegiance at the SB

* Announcement in the Royal Gazette

* Pick up the certificate

* Have the ID issued

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, david143 said:

Brothers

what is next we have to do , MOI interview is passed by 2 months now .

all you have to do is be patient if you have passed the MOI. Could be nearly a year, but only a few minor hoops to jump through. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, david143 said:

Brothers

what is next we have to do , MOI interview is passed by 2 months now .

Relax, it's downhill from here.

You should get a call very soon to say that General Anupong has signed the application, and it has been passed on to the PM, and waiting approval from His Majesty the king.

Then wait about 6 months to do the oath.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Relax, it's downhill from here.

You should get a call very soon to say that General Anupong has signed the application, and it has been passed on to the PM, and waiting approval from His Majesty the king.

Then wait about 6 months to do the oath.

I think you already received call from MOI, regarding Anupong already signed. ????
btw just for my info when you gave MOI interview november ?

36 minutes ago, david143 said:

FYI
Got updates on my Application . After every 2 months interview meeting , there is another meeting held within MOI staff and seniors officials who decide on applications that should to reject or Approve.

December 2019 group and Jan 2020 group Candidates.
My Interview was on 17Dec2019
MOI committee members already approved my Application and name has been forward to Gen.Anupong office for sign since 04 Feb 2020.

December and Jan applicant can call to MOI and check the status.
Staff is very friendly and reply very professionally.

thanks

Are they open today?