Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

14 hours ago, qualtrough said:

How common is it to make it all the way to the MOI interview and then be rejected? And what are the kinds of reasons than an application might be rejected at that stage?

Not based on anything but my opinion. I think the moi interview is a formality and if you made it that far theres a high chance your good to go. The moi interview is 3-4 minutes and looks intimidating but its not. 

The NIA interview is more intense and probably where most people would fail. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, david143 said:

I think you already received call from MOI, regarding Anupong already signed. ????
btw just for my info when you gave MOI interview november ?

Yes, Gen. Anupong signed mine last Nov.

My MoI interview was September.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, qualtrough said:

How common is it to make it all the way to the MOI interview and then be rejected? And what are the kinds of reasons than an application might be rejected at that stage?

Just a formality, IMHO.

Perhaps you would get rejected of wearing a Chang wife beater and shorts, or being drunk and showing disrespect to those you shouldn't. 

Relax, the MOI is short and informal.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, david143 said:

The 3 latest RG announcements (for male applicants) were in Aug 2019, Nov 2019 and Feb 2020. If the quarterly trend continues we could expect the next ones in May, Aug and Nov this year. I hope to be in one of them.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

The 3 latest RG announcements (for male applicants) were in Aug 2019, Nov 2019 and Feb 2020. If the quarterly trend continues we could expect the next ones in May, Aug and Nov this year. I hope to be in one of them.

What i dont understand is they are printing 35 names in the rg or about 150 a year but are processing 300 a year through moi? 

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

What i dont understand is they are printing 35 names in the rg or about 150 a year but are processing 300 a year through moi? 

As I could see, it's not always 35 (I've seen sometimes 60 and even 100 in one RG at a time the announcements were not issued very regularly) but I also believe SB receives women applications, so perhaps the total of 300 is for both men and women which could explain the number of roughly 150 men a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Interesting, as the oath seems to be every 2 months.

Does anyone know of my wife will have to go with me to anything after the MOI interview?

Also, when moving my yellow house book to Bangkok, I needed a letter from my old provincial hall. I believe I can get the blue house book from Bangkok then can move it to anywhere without a letter. Does anyone knows if this is the case?

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Does anyone know of my wife will have to go with me to anything after the MOI interview?

Also, when moving my yellow house book to Bangkok, I needed a letter from my old provincial hall. I believe I can get the blue house book from Bangkok then can move it to anywhere without a letter. Does anyone knows if this is the case?

My wife died before I even had my second interview with the MOI, so I would say no. However, my son who was above the age of 20 needed to help out with some documents as he was the registered house owner. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

My wife died before I even had my second interview with the MOI, so I would say no. However, my son who was above the age of 20 needed to help out with some documents as he was the registered house owner. 

Thanks for the reply Gary. I thought you might know due to your very sad experience.

My wife is not the house owner where my yellow book is, so I suppose she doesn't need to be there anymore.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for the reply Gary. I thought you might know due to your very sad experience.

My wife is not the house owner where my yellow book is, so I suppose she doesn't need to be there anymore.

She won't need to go with you for the oath or to pick up your certificate of citizenship. Wife was needed at the Khet when being transfered to blue book, even though neither one of use were the homeowner of the blue book and my wife is still in the blue book of her family home. The homeowner has to be there, as well. I think different Khets have different rules, so it's possible your wife won't have to be there. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, echrist said:

She won't need to go with you for the oath or to pick up your certificate of citizenship. Wife was needed at the Khet when being transfered to blue book, even though neither one of use were the homeowner of the blue book and my wife is still in the blue book of her family home. The homeowner has to be there, as well. I think different Khets have different rules, so it's possible your wife won't have to be there. 

Thanks! For clarity, do you do the Oath then after the publication in the gazzette, go back to SB to get certificate?

I read a good website on the process that that said after the oath you get the naturalization cert.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks! For clarity, do you do the Oath then after the publication in the gazzette, go back to SB to get certificate?

I read a good website on the process that that said after the oath you get the naturalization cert.

yes, they called me back about 2 weeks later to pick up the cert. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, echrist said:

Thai folks really have a hard time understanding that a non-Asian can be a Thai citizen. I updated my green book to reflect my new nationality. They wanted to see my passport (meaning my foreign passport) and my visa. I assumed this may happen so I came prepared with my Thai passport. When I showed them my Thai passport, she looked through it for a visa. ????  I informed them that I didn't require a visa any longer and that this was my only passport since becoming a Thai citizen. Ultimately, I showed them a copy of my foreign passport, which I understand that they may need to verify the passport number listed on my green book, that seemed to satisfy them. 

In which province was this?

Deeply appreciate the excellent advise that several of the esteemed members on this thread have been providing. As the thread is just too long to go through and I also cannot figure out what are the latest applicable rules, would request some guidance on the possibility of a successful application (especially in view of my age and impending retirement) and how do I go about it. My brief history is as follows

1) Post Graduate Engineer from a prestigious University in home country

2) Living in Bangkok for 25+ yrs and present age 58yrs (expect to retire in 3-4 years)

3) Working for an International Company since 1990, transferred to Thailand in 1995

4) Working for same employer and under the same Work Permit for 25 yrs

5) Non-Immigrant B visa for 20 years (1996-2015) & PR for last 5 years (June 2015- June 2020)

6) Married to a Thai National for 20 years, but marriage registered only for 5 years (May 2015 – May 2020)

7) We have one child who is still a student

7) I am paying a high income tax since 1996, currently paying personal income tax about 75,000 Baht per month

9) Wife is a post graduate from Chulalongkorn, excellent English and working, current salary over 150k

10) I can speak and read Thai at an excellent level but writing skill is very poor

11) Singing the anthems should be easy for me and having to choose a religion, Thai name/surname etc. will not be an impediment

12) I have a Pink Thai ID card & Red Police Book

13) My wife bought the house with her own funds and has a Blue colour Thabian Baan with my name on it

14) I do NOT have a yellow book which seems to be a requirement to get some additional points, is this correct?

If my chances are not good, I do not wish to waste my time and effort. I understand that if my points add up to a reasonable level, then the starting point is SB. May I ask what is SB and where is it located and the best time to go there? Is it always required to take my wife every visit as she is also quite busy on workdays? MOI is Ministry of Interior and RG is Royal Gazette?

Edited by saakura
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

You are over qualified by all possible naturalization routes (Thai wife, PR 5 years, high salary, Thai kid). Just visit the SB office asap and start your process. 

Thank you. May i know what does SB stand for and where is it located in Bangkok?

Thanks, googled and found it refers to Special Branch of Police located at Pathumwan in Bangkok.

Edited by saakura
Update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sas_cars said:

You are over qualified by all possible naturalization routes (Thai wife, PR 5 years, high salary, Thai kid). Just visit the SB office asap and start your process. 

But he needs to start as soon as possible because he mentioned that he will retire in a few years and it may take that time before his application goes through the whole process (under current practice you should have enough time but always best to play it safe). He could apply on being married for a minimum of three years (registered) and avoid the necessity of singing the national and royal anthems. If applying based on PR singing is unavoidable. It all depends on how his points work out. If enough based on marriage, I would go that route. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

But he needs to start as soon as possible because he mentioned that he will retire in a few years and it may take that time before his application goes through the whole process (under current practice you should have enough time but always best to play it safe). He could apply on being married for a minimum of three years (registered) and avoid the necessity of singing the national and royal anthems. If applying based on PR singing is unavoidable. It all depends on how his points work out. If enough based on marriage, I would go that route. 

Thanks, i intend to go visit SB on Tuesday.

• Like 1